Guest viewing is limited

THR On my way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My doc has 'sea sick' patches on my list of drugs. Not sure if they have tried those yet? So sorry that you are feeling queasy.
 
Nausea is quite common and is usually caused by a combination of the "twilight" cocktail, anesthesia and pain meds. Have they given you any anti-nausea medication? That usually helps abate the nausea. I would definitely push for it before leaving the hospital. Hope you get home without too much trouble. :)
 
Home again! The wait and surgery went very well. Stayed in recovery for about an hour and took me back the private room, where husband was waiting.All went well that day, I was a bit of pain and when the PT person came by,she wanted me just sit up on the bed. That is when nausea, weakness etc started. So she told me to lay back down and she would come back. I had maybe 5 more episodes of nausea and vomiting. Of course sometime on Tuesday they said I would need to stay an extra day which was fine me. I couldn't going home the next day at that point. I felt really crappy all day Tuesday but kept telling myself it was super temporary. Surgeon came to see how I was doing. He suggested anti nausea med but they had already started on in the IV. So they held back a little on the narotics for a while to see if the nausea would respond. By the time I woke up this morning
I felt a lot better. Took two walks down the hall with PT. They restarted narcotics this morning and discussed my option for continuing using them as I needed them at home.
Yes I have compression stockings, they don't see that annoying to me. ALso came home with cane and walker. I'll have two PT sessions week for month which seems reasonable.Thanks to everone who offered any advice this last few weeks, the info and support from this forum is truly indispensable .
 
Hi @bab123 I am sorry to hear this, but you do have lots of company.
I too had nausea once the spinal/ anesthesia (no general) I was given began to wear off & I started on post-op narcotics. I do have a tendency towards nausea with pain meds so alerted they started me on nausea meds early on. With that said though, the only meal I felt like really eating was dinner the night of surgery- then after that, I (pretty much )only ate crackers & butter which I brought. Once they got the pain meds evened out, I felt better by Sat morning 40 hours post op. ( it felt like I became over medicated until they got my pain level /Rx evened out ) I was prescribed w anti nausea meds for home which really helped the first 5 days at home- to work w the OxyCODONE & OxyContin I'm taking.
My appetite definitely has come back but I took it very slow!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad to hear you're home @bab123 and hopefully getting all settled in and have your pain meds all sorted out. Remember the BS mantra...rest, ice, elevate and keep those pain me on schedule. Best wishes for a rapid and uneventful recovery.
:yay::wave:
 
@bab123- So happy you are well and at home now! You are lucky the hospital kept you and gave you an IV and tweaked all your meds. I had nausea and vomiting but the hospital insisted on discharging me anyway. I went home (vomiting) with no anti-nausea meds. I quit taking the percocet, but still couldn't keep food down for 4 days. I finally had to go to the ER and they treated me for dehydration and gave me anti-nausea med through IV. It was a real nightmare. In spite of that rocky start, my hip recovery is going great. I only took Tylenol for pain after Day 3.

Rest up and enjoy being home now. Sounds like you are on the Up and Up!:egypdance:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you're feeling better and that you made it home. The first three days are the worst. Another graduate...it's so exciting! Keep up the great work.
 
Hi, reporting in - I slept decently with pillow between my legs sleeping on side. Also slept on back. Dr says no need to sleep on back since it was anterior procedure. I got up about 8:30 this morning and felt really good. I took one pain pill during the night and took another just now. Sometimes a thought goes through my head "oh surgery is soon" haha I already surgery! I am definitely feeling loopy but impressed how little it hurts, at least with meds. This forum is so useful. I felt that the info I rec'd onl here was more valuable than from md practice and hospital staff. They were lovely and attentive but you guys cover more practical sugestions.
 
That's fantastic. That makes sense that you can sleep on your side. I had bilateral surgery, so I had to wait. I was also impressed with how little it hurt, (with meds.) I'm glad to hear that you're feeling good.
 
Is it common to feel loopy post surg days? It is taking me much more time than it should to do sitting down tasks, such as looking thru bills, etc. Thanks!
JoAn
 
Is it common to feel loopy post surg days? It is taking me much more time than it should to do sitting down tasks, such as looking thru bills, etc.
Don't do anything so intensive at this point. Your body is still in shock from all the trauma. That coupled with some pretty strong pain management is bound to make you a bit loopy. I would not make and major decisions or do anything financial right now. Just focus on the mantras and maybe some mindless TV.
 
Yes, it's normal. I had to write down my medication schedule, because I'd get mixed up and forget what I had just taken. This is the time to rest, ice, relax, and heal. Even though you don't feel it, there is pain, and as Jaycey said, trauma. It's just masked by the meds. Self care now will pay off later.
 
So happy you are doing well @bab123 ! I couldn't sleep on my side at first even with the anterior surgery because of the "log" leg. Even with a pillow between the legs it was a heavy, uncomfortable feeling. I'm doing a bit of side sleeping now at almost 5 weeks out. I'm going to continue on the back because I have left hip to do in a few weeks and it'll just confuse things more. Concentration was not there for me either. I had two books ready to read during recovery and I could not get my brain to focus enough to read them. My concentration is back to normal now. Just enjoy being a vegetable for a few weeks and drift along in lala land while you can. We don't get this excuse often. :chillpill: --julie
 
Hi everyone. Thanks for the validation of my temporary mental state ! I have also listing my meds as I take them !
I agree with reading problems too. I almost always read couple books a week. Right now I'm not as interested in reading. so i shall watch silly tv-and not feel guilty
Joann







:type::heehee:
 
I mentioned that I have been coloring in my coloring books. Lucky me to have Amazon prime and fast delivery. I've ordered so many colored pencils I'm cornering the lead market. A friend in GA just sent me four more books today in the mail. Crazy but it doesn't take a lot of thought and helps my anxiety. Surfing the Web too. Funny how our lives are so busy that when we need to rest, we don't know how. :tiredwheel: --julie
 
Gosh, I did not do a dratted thing the first week other than TV, then second week I started to read novels and now at three weeks I finally feel "clearheaded" enough to begin looking at upcoming lessons I will teach in March.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
I have thought about coloring books, I even set some aside on my wish list. Perhaps I should get a couple.
 
@bab123- that's what I did too the first week. Watch tv, fall asleep in the middle of everything I watched. And sound confused. Good thing hubby was monitoring what meds I took when.
 
I have also listing my meds as I take them !
This is a really good idea! I created a spreadsheet with the list of meds and dates - then recorded every time I took a med. At one time post LTHR I was taking 4 different meds - chaos if you miss or double up on a dose!
 
Thanks guys, @CatLady1 , My husband offered to do my pills but since there is some subjectivity to when I take what at what time, depending pain need, I would rather in control of it, because I am basically a controlling person :)
Had a good nights sleep with my bad side reminding me any inclination to lay on that side. This morning I have a fair amt of pain when on the walker so I will the narcotic along with the other stuff.

And I ordered coloring book and pencils from Amazon!
JoAnn
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom