Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Oh 'dreams' exactly as visioned

Thanks Barbarj. I did go walking and realized all the new changes in the park,from humongous pots of fresh herbs for all to consume and all different trees planted with descriptions, to new park benches, a new dog park, Vimy Ridge memorial statues with inscriptions everywhere, all these picnic tables and benches-2 parks for different age groups, a baseball 'park', the building in the center finally opened oh and the flowers--this brightened my spirits so much. I made an appointment with my own PT who is also an osteopath. She has been my PT for about 13 years. She has always helped ant once has she hurt me and she is of the Bonesmart philosophy.I want her to help with the arms.The hips I might add are doing great though because this is the first time I have been out in a bit I tire quickly and tried to rest when I came home but because of the arms and hand couldn't .But it's ok.
 
Sounds like you have a beautiful new park area to enjoy when you get to feeling better. Maybe all that hammering all summer was partly do to the new park and walkway??? Not just the road. Glad you had a nice walk.
 
Your stroll in the park sounds good, @mikeycat. Sometimes we just need distraction and a change of scenery to boost our mood. Your park seems as if it has undergone some renovation and lots of new things to check out. And also glad to read about you scheduling an appointment with your PT/osteopath. If you've been with her for 13 years, I have to believe she knows you well, and understands your body. I hope she's able to bring a modicum of relief at least with your arms. At least those hips are doing pretty well, and considering you had a bilateral replacement (I am in awe of you and anyone else whose undergone that surgery!) it's amazing that you're doing so well, held back really by those hand/arm problems. Hope you have a good Saturday. Cheers and hugs.
 
Not only does your local park sound beautiful to navigate and enjoy, but your visit afforded you the bonus of a boost in mood. Sounds like a place where you may want to spend time more often. It's wonderful to read your hips are doing so well. I realize I've said this before, but as a bilateral you've amazed me with a pretty unremarkable recovery in the way of setbacks or issues. Unfortunately it's all of these other concerns that seem to be holding you back from fully enjoying all the benefits of this miraculous surgery. I hope that changes soon, mikeycat. Hang in there....we're here for you!
Hugs :console2:
 
Today's the day I make the apt. for surgery next week.I saw my own PT and she said to do it quickly as the nerves are so damaged and she cant straighten my hand. She worked on both hands and arms and says the pain in my shoulders is related to the hands but also the walker as we tend to elevate our shoulders when walking with it. I have realized I still do it.She says the right hand that was operated on should gain full sensation with few negligible deficits the left well...
She said I looked good,thinner and my walk was really great as she demonstrated my former gait I had to laugh.Told her about this crying,anxiety re surgery and pain endured and fact anesthetics and narcs don't work. She says she knows of someone and they work in close proximity and she deals with PTSD and anxiety and depression. I will give her a call as my hands shake now and I cried on the bus yesterday.I have just been reading about post-surgical depression due to the anesthesia, body disfigurement and pain.I'm not nuts.
 
I have just been reading about post-surgical depression due to the anesthesia, body disfigurement and pain.
Many people suffer post op depression and anxiety. And yes, PTSD as well. Do give that person a call. It does help to talk about it with someone who has experience.
 
Being in pain all the time can bring you down to the point of crying and depression. I had a serious shoulder injury 6 years ago and nothing helped the pain, not even injections.
It finally healed without surgery and I had PT but it did not help either. I could not sleep, lay down, ride in a car, or even go for a walk, it hurt that bad for weeks. I had a million tests, 2 MRIs, neck and shoulder, before they figured out I had yanked the bicipital cord loose and it was hung up on my bone.
Anyway I was crying, depressed, and it took a long time to heal emotionally after it went back in place and healed.
I think you will get better emotionally once you get things fixed too. Will be praying for you....
 
Thanks Cecropia. That must have been awful for you.It just sucks the joy right out of life,huh? I am a bosom buddy with pain-we are great friends. I have my surgery date next Wednesday at noon. I will have general--under for all of 15 minutes--but the pain after not to be trifled with.My PT said not to hesitate because she cannot bend my fingers but she said the hips-wow- and my walk was so good. Gee I felt good for a slight change.I am going to make an apt. with the therapist she suggested who is about 4 blocks from here so I can walk there. My right hand shakes--it is fear anxiety and whatever.
 
Dear mikeycat ....I'm so sorry you continue to struggle physically and mentally.
Pain is a drain. It sucks the energy right out of us. It steals our joy also. Please schedule a few visits with a therapist who will help and uplift you and possibly even prepare you emotionally for next weeks surgery. You deserve happiness, peace of mind and most of all relief from chronic pain. You will get through this and we'll be here for you. Sending love and a hug :console2: you'll be in my prayers. :prayer:
@mikeycat
 
Oh, those hips are A-OK and those darn appendages on your arms are being so unruly:blackcloud:
Hope all eases soon, my double hippy pal.:cheers:
 
@mikeycat well good to hear the hips and your hair are doing good. Happy that you're going ahead with the surgery for your other hand even though you're expecting more pain, at least for a while. Definitely try to get in to see the therapist, at least once before surgery and probably a couple of times after. Anything to help you work through the pain, depression and anxiety. We want you back to happy and healthy, we're here for you!
:kittykiss:
 
Hi @mikeycat. You have been through it all.. and you still write so nicely and also lift others up. You are my hero. I'm so sorry you are going through this with your hands.. but doubly relieved that you went to your trusty PT/Osteo and she has helped you with your plan of action.
You will get through this, I wish I could say or do something to help.
Ecstatic to hear about your healing hips!! That was major!! I also like the sound of some therapy for the PTSD- we all need some help from time to time. I had help, after my brother passed away suddenly, for the unresolved anger in our relationship and the subsequent grief, and it helped me immensely.
So she says your right hand will improve.. that is good news, too!
Chin up, and get to that park when you can. It sounds lovely. :yes: :SUNsmile::walking:
 
@Layla thanks for that . I was considering omitting the therapist as I have never been to one but this pain thing is driving me nuts and there is a mind/body connection to things.
@Mojo333 I hope so too. Never ever had problems with my arms or shoulders and I relied heavily on upper body strength which is a family trait-part of our genetic make-up.
@Elf1 So nice to hear that others are here for one and I appreciate tremendously what you said and will heed your advice.
@CricketHip Such lovely words of encouragement and my PT is the best and understands me and my body the most. So sorry to hear of your brother. I have not seen mine in 20 years.

As I read here there have been others who have been through much more than I and frankly I can't fathom how they pulled through with such resilience,grace and empathy for others but it isn't a contest. I feel like I am bellyaching though no one makes me feel that way. My real problem is not knowing. My shoulders and arms are so sore I cannot sleep and nothing works for the pain. I am used to the pain in the hands and find ways to alleviate it. My left hand now is a claw but surgery on Wednesday should ease that I hope.Even with hip pain prior to surgery Advil worked .It doesn't for the shoulders. This am I could barely lift up my arms.Even the lower limbs were heavy. Whaz dat ?? All this started after the hip replacement surgery.It is the not knowing that is the real problem and I am at a lost as to where to go for this and frankly I am fed-up.Am I regretting--yup....
 
Your pain is real and it doesn't matter if others have been through worse. What you're experiencing is affecting you physically and emotionally and stopping you from enjoying recovery and life to the fullest.
Don't regret....yet. Let's give it a bit more time and see if the hand surgery on Wednesday gradually helps ease the shoulder pain, which could be stress because you've certainly been under enough of it lately. What about a relaxing massage? I think the emotional support you could get from a couple therapy visits may be beneficial also. You don't need to be dealing with guilt on top of all else because you feel you're "bellyaching" and others have it worse. Just do all you can to help yourself mentally, as well as physically, and I'm sure soon enough you'll be able to look back at this as a growing experience and blip on the screen.

We're here for you and will continue to be so lean, sister, we've got you! :console2:
@mikeycat
 
Last edited:
Oh, @mikeycat I am so, so sorry whenever I read about what you're going through. The fact that you are still able to pull yourself out of this "slough of despair" and post encouraging messages on others' threads and move ahead slowly through all of your pain is nothing short of remarkable. I so glad those hips are doing well, and I will keep my fingers crossed that next week's hand surgery, although undoubtedly painful and difficult to contemplate, will actually relieve the agony you're suffering with a little bit. I, too, would encourage you to find someone you can talk with about what's going on and help you with all the challenges you are facing. I, too, think there is a definite mind-body connection when it comes to pain. I know you say that all your pain began with the hip replacement, but can you really say before surgery life was grand? If you had a bilateral, I'm guessing both hips must have been "toast" and you were then in a significant amount of pain. I know you didn't think about relieving that pain only to have it replaced with this awful arm/hand pain, but you ARE moving ahead as best you can, particularly the brave decision to have surgery this coming Wednesday. You are a brave, courageous and strong woman--try to remember that. Cyber hugs coming your way.
 
Thank you Barbaraj always encouraging and supportive-always.
I am an adapter. I had OA in the left hip for 12 years but with physio I was 'ok'. The right hip in the radiologist's vernacular was 'unremarkable' quite preserved until last year when it plummeted probably from 12 years of compensation for the left.I then was unable to get around as before though before I compensated and was content. I am not one to go to the doc for everything. I feel life is what it is and I deal with it.But as of last year I was unable to get around the way I had previously and felt that my hubby deserved more than my hobbling so I underwent the 'transformation'. No one in my family or my hubby's has ever had any replacements--all are OA free and some in their 90's--luck of the draw I was. From the records of surgery I requested from the hospital I observed that I had a smaller than 'normal' femoral neck which could have explained the OA along with years of cement pounding and the like for marathon training.I had no cartilage left and had bone spurs and osteophytes. But with all that I had relatively little pain. I could still walk 20 blocks ,then rest and continue. Standing for long periods of time was murder though.OS could not believe I could walk that.I slept easy through the night except when damp and humid and would have rheumatic pain.I was told I must have had a high tolerance to pain--well--certainly not the case now.I know intellectually I did the right thing but this onslaught of pain unrelated to the hips where, by golly, I should be feeling pain (never had except post-op in the hospital because narcs didn't work on me) is disturbing to say the least. I need my hands and who would have thought pain in the arms shoulders would be so unbearable. I cannot sleep. I got up at 3 am and sat in the recliner. No meds work. I use heat. Just a few short days ago it was ok during the day now it isn't and I am at a loss as to what to do. Then there is the hand surgery on Wednesday.
 
You aren't bellyaching. I appreciate that you're sharing this. It could be any of us at any given time. Gosh, I hope you have a decent night tonight.
 
Last edited:
Yup, it does sound absolutely MISERABLE, @mikeycat, what you are having to live with--no question about it! Unremitting pain, particularly when nothing seems to work at all, must be horrible. I simply can't imagine that at all, and I am so sorry. It must feel like a tremendous "cheat" to get those hips done only to have this awful hand/arm pain descend and hang around. But I still think that you did the right thing to get the hips done. I, too, was bone on bone with my right hip when surgery was done last year--left one was starting to hurt but by going ahead with surgery this year instead of "toughing it out", I was trying to be more proactive. Hips never get better on their own. I wish this situation was different, but it's not and unfortunately just your cross to bear right now, gutting it out and trying to have faith that this will pass and you'll be feeling better in the near future. Hand surgery is next week and I know there lots of crossed fingers and toes out there, both within your own family and friends group, but lots of us fellow Bonesmart hipsters as well. Surely all those good wishes and cyber prayers will count for something. Hope you were able to drift back to sleep last night with the heating pad. I have no way of even touching on how awful this must be for you--just intensely hoping and wishing that this coming Wednesday will bring some relief. Even more cyber hugs coming your way, fast and furious!
 
@mikeycat
All other issues aside, your bilateral recovery has been nothing short of spectacular.
Hold out hope that with the surgery next Wednesday, once recovered, you'll finally be on your way to pain free. The holidays should be great and 2020 can be your year! Hang on...not long to go now.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend.
Hugs
 
Last edited:
@mikeycat I can't wait till things get better for you again. I hope things improve enough so you can get away to Florida for the winter. You know the saying, a change will do you good, and maybe a change will put you in a better place emotionally when all your surgeries are done.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom