Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Oh 'dreams' exactly as visioned

Thanks Cecropia . I actually got those bites in the house can you believe? I am getting phobic--eh gads another phobia to add to the growing list. The heat is unbearable and the insects are tiny little things unsure of what they are. I was never allergic before that 'special' bite. Fall and spring and even winter were my seasons especially fall never summer because of the humidity here.I was trying to find your blog and couldn't find it. I went through several pages. You are still there ?
 
Hey @mikeycat you sound like a pistol crossed with a dynamo! I got tired just reading a couple of those busy busy posts. But I do remember that feeling of having superpowers simply because finally BOTH hips work!! Wheeeee!! Crashhhhhh..... <sound of brass band winding down> We do return to the wonderful new old dreamed-of normal when we pace ourselves.
Am I gathering correctly you are in Montreal some of the time? I went to school at McGill, and attended a 42nd mini-reunion two years ago.... 8.5 weeks post-op! I walked almost everywhere. Had to ride the Metro for the nostalgia but I walked a few paved miles every day, in low-heeled booties. You will remember the hideous September marathon of 2017, too hot for anybody to run? No I did not run it!! But my old roommate, her DH, and her DD ran various portions and survived. Cannot imagine.
I hope this bug bite situation gets properly resolved!! How awful for you. Indoors we get exclusively spider bites, and I'm the only tasty one lucky me. Outdoors it's millions of mosquitoes and deerflies and horseflies. Thank goodness no biting/stinging midges or no see-ums.
I can relate to your bug bite along incision-- for both hips I had inadvertent cat claw marks very close to (anterior) incisions. A little nervous-making for a while.
 
Thanks Layla. I found myself going through the whole roster and then giving up because of course more come into the recovery thread--good thing.
 
@zauberflöte Born and bred in Montréal. Degree from McGill, son there now and in his last year for 1st degree(BSc).Remember when I met my best friend from NY in 73 here it was sweltering and we could not find reprieve. She said it was as bad as NYC.I agreed.Lately it has been more than tropical.
I walked about 15 blocks yesterday hoping I won't feel it today. I do but in my hands only. Have to get that ECTR surgery for carpal tunnel.As for the bites I have to tackle from all sides. Got a recluse spider bite and I haven't been the same since and all bites are attracted to that leg.I am on antibiotics dose number 2 and they appear to be ebbing but that spider bite on my finger--whoa.
I am trying to perfect my gait--seems to have improved the PT is fabulous-going tomorrow to rehab.I want to take up stuff again at the Y.I am going out today as the temp has changed yippee--it was cool this am.
 
Good day, @mikeycat, good to read that your PT is changing your gait and it's getting better and more fluid presumably. Doesn't it feel nice to walk like a human being rather than a lurching zombie? I am walking a lot better this time around, but I think I had a harder time last time because I didn't trust I could really put full weight on my operated hip. This time I don't have that instinctive drawing back, and I'm evenly distributing weight on both hips. Now, having said that, my operated hip is still stiff and sore, but walking is much better this time around even if slow for the most part. Have a great day--nice to wake up to cooler temperatures, I'm sure.
 
Good Morning @mikeycat
Not sure if you're still icing, but you may want to consider it after your walks.
Hopefully you're no worse for wear today. It's good to hear you're enjoying cooler temps as we've been here also. It's much less humid which I'm thankful for. Hopefully the more refreshing weather hangs around for awhile.
Enjoy the day!
 
@mikeycat oh be careful not to get ahead of yourself at the Y! What did you have in mind? I'm glad your walk did you good, and hope today's does too. Just curious, if you walked 15 blocks, was that 15 there and 15 back, or 7.5 out and 7.5 back? And enthusiasm for PT sounds like a good thing! Sounds like you are on track for an excellent recovery

I was in Montreal for the summers of 73, 74, and 75, and being at the time from Vermont, I also "like to died"" with everybody else. I've lived in central Virginia since 1976, and have learned the true meaning of "sweltering". I went apartment hunting on foot on September 1; it was nearly 100 with humidity nearly 100%. I had such thick "northern blood" that I wanted to die! I rented an apartment in the building that I'd entered because it had a restaurant in the basement with Ice Cream! I gained 10 lbs that year....
 
@Layla I stand corrected . Today will be 32 and feel like 37 humidex--oh boy I will be in a pool of sweat--a familial problem.I still do ice mostly at night and early am as I get up at 5:30 am.What a sleeper I am.
@Barbarj Happy to hear you are walking steady and better than with your first. Maybe it is experience.That was the first thing I noticed when I got up on that second day in the hospital how steady I was on my feet first time in years and it was then I knew.
@zauberflöte I could never live in the south I would die literally. My sis did and she carried a backpack with a change of clothing given our familial traits but when she returned home after 10 years she could not weather the cold.

I am off to PT today then country. My son's 21st birthday on Monday and he wants a dehumidifier--what a practical lot we are.He too has that familial trait of sweating buckets--well he blames me.
 
Oh no! The country = bug bites for you :yikes: please take every precaution not to get chomped on, mikeycat.
I'm with you on that humidity. Dare I say....I'd almost prefer the cold over extreme humidity. I can tolerate the heat, even though it's not my favorite but add in high dew points and I get cranky :hairpulling:
Enjoy your time in the country and try to stay cool! :swim:
@mikeycat
 
Hope PT goes well for you today, @mikeycat, and then a good time in the country, carefully coated daily with insect repellent, I'm hoping. Do you have a place of your own in the country, staying with friends or a rental property? I think time away in the country, minus bug bites and miserably hot weather, sounds like a delightful prospect. Enjoy!
 
We had a farm house and barn but sold them. Now we rent for several months. We were doing so much work before now it is enjoyment. I am going to wash with citronella and my hubby bought something to put outside to deter the bugs and I use repellent but I got those bug bites inside last week because I did not go out save to get to the car. The spider bite on my finger still looks awful after 2 doses of antibiotics and 14 days. The one on my incision looks better but it wasn't a spider bite.We are in the mountains near the forest so a whole slew of different bugs oh but the wildlife.
Now to find the dehumidifier(will get ac with a dehumidifier if I can find it) because everywhere they are sold out.

Everyone have a nice weekend.
 
Well, we did not go to the country because of all the stuff I had to do with PT at rehab. It was an evaluation. He measured or shall I say remeasured everything. How much adduction, abduction and I have come to full max,have full ROM as well as lifting limbs to chest etc. He says I have the capabilities and in some instances strength but still lacking in others.I cross my legs to put on socks and lift other in the air while crossed and I walked the equivalent of 4 blocks without aids but he says that gait thing has to improve. I asked my hubby if I do what PT says and he says oh yes so I have to be mindful and practice 24/7.But I was practically on the floor and we couldn't go to the country.I think it was the evaluation and it won't be so hard this Friday.I hope.
I am looking for a doc for the carpal tunnel thing and want ECTR a minimally invasive surgery that takes only 10 minutes and apparently they can do both.The pain I have in my hands is far worse than any hip pain or stiffness I may feel.I cannot pick things up, they are numb and there is shooting pain up my arm.This is thanks to the hip thing.I also have to see a dentist for pain and I have to get yet another dose of antibiotics prior to any treatment and I have had 2 sets of antibiotics for the bug bites. Gee I'm batting a 100.Who knows what I'll wake up with next.
It was my son's 21st birthday yesterday and we took him out and gave him a dehumidifier he wanted as well as $. He is moving to a new place and will be finishing university next year. It was pleasant for me even though I ran around in the area getting him a grab bag of sundries and things he likes. I am exhausted today. Gotta look up not down.
 
Wow, @mikeycat, you have been through the ringer lately, poor girl! I am sure you feel like the proverbial Dutch boy at the dike, trying frantically to plug each new hole as it appears! The arm/hand stuff sounds like it is much worse than the hip pain, as not being able to pick things up and having a shooting pain up your arm must be awful. I hope the procedure you'll be getting will fix that problem. You can work on the gait thing, just try to be mindful and if you are walking around and your husband or other family/friends are nearby, you can ask them to alert you to the fact that your gait is faltering. That's what I ask my husband to do. When you're tired and not focusing, it is easy to fall into that more lumbering gait. Argh! Hope things start to get better soon--you deserve a break!

PS if your son is 21, and you're 66, I'm guessing that you had him at age 45? I did that as well, and while it was okay when I was younger, I find it harder to deal with a "youngster" in my 60's. Love him to death but "geriatric parenting" can be exhausting.
 
Sorry you didn't make it to the country. At the very least, hopefully it saved you some bites from those country bugs that seem to be attracted to you.

I'm sorry you're dealing with such painful carpal tunnel symptoms. Numbness and the inability to pick things up easily in addition to shooting pain sounds absolutely miserable, dear mikeycat.
You do have a lot going on. Glad you enjoyed time with your son even though you're exhausted today.
It sounds like a cozy nap is order. :yawn: :sleep: Enjoy!
@mikeycat
 
I agree, sounds like a nap is what is needed today. You've been having a heck of a time and really deserve to just kick back for a while and relax. Hopefully the surgery for your arm/hand will take away your pain so you can get back to a more normal you.
 
Thanks everyone . Just took advil so I will have a reprieve from pain for a bit.Who knew hip replacement and bilateral at that would be the least of my troubles. This hand thing is just the pits for me since I have not had hip pain for quite awhile. I knew when you start something something else occurs.I am waiting for a reply from this OS who specializes in hands. I sure hope I don't need a referral from my GP because that would be another trek there.Oh well tonight I 'sleep' mindfully on my back with hands extended palms flat down on the bed. If I don't they are curled,numb and difficult to open.I do not use any walking device in the house so only when I go out which I have kept to a minimum because of the hands.

@Barbaraj My son is quite autonomous always has been. He is finishing university and doesn't live here. He was always 'old' always and A student, had scholarships and was into a lot of sports as well. He was quiet,never raised his voice. But he is so silent never more than a few words perhaps 'closed' is the word. A very deep thinker, reader and mathematician.He made dinner for us a few times. He became silent at 13.He watches the cats when we are not here.But this is worrisome for me that he never lets out any of fears or disappointments nothing. He keeps all to himself and deals with everything alone.He is much older than me.I feel my age because of me and this decrepit body. I wish I was younger for my son. Fortunately I did everything with him as I was in shape --the arthritis started at 54 when my son was 9 but I didn't let it affect anything he did or what we would do.He was this happy-go-lucky smiling elf. It made my heart sing this arthritis doesn't. But you are right about this geriatric parenting --the worry never ever goes away.
@Elf1 I sure do need the hands-hubby cuts food for me--can't ask him to do anymore
--when do I become autonomous. Is is 2 weeks yet?
@Layla I'll take the nap now-it's 10:30 but no doubt I won't head for bed til 1 am.
 
@mikeycat Have you tried sleeping with carpal tunnel wrist bands at night. I have it in my right hand some, when it really bothers me I have a special glove where you put your fingers in open at the ends, and then a velcro strap tightens around the wrist part and you can't bend your hand or fingers at night, gives it a good rest.
 
I have these devices I was given several years ago. They are braces that you insert your hands into with velcro. They actually hurt now.They keep your hand from moving and bending. I am at a point of no return.The pain is worse than I felt with my hips and I sure do need my hands. I am regretting so many things these days.
 
I am being driven mad with this hand thing which of course impedes the hip thing because using a cane or walking poles outside will make me cry so I walk unassisted inside. I hope I get a call soon but it is vacation time so I appear to be out of luck at the moment. Not a very happy day today but will try to improve my demeanor and quit bellyaching.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom