THR Officially a hippie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jo Champagne a great report. I had a lot of groin pain in opposite side at the beginning of post op. Probably using muscles differently. Hope yours has eased some. Can you pin point to an exercise?
 
Hi @Jo Champagne I had a terrible ache in the groin... really quite sore. My OS said it was the psoas tendon, that it had contracted over the years I had not used my hip properly, that it was very common and that a) it would probably get better in time, b) doing stretches (here's the one I found most effective good leg on the bed) would help, c) if it was not significantly better he could do injections into it that would definitely help a lot and d) if I still found it intolerable at 12 months (but not until 12 months) he could do a relatively simple procedure to release the tendon. Well guess what? At 7 months it is SIGNIFICANTLY better... I definitely don't need the release procedure, as of the last few weeks I'm thinking no injections either - I see there is still room for improvement but also that it is still improving.... the stretches really DO help.

You will find it takes a little while to "stretch" out, but you will see improvement daily - just being able to move around more freely makes everything a bit more supple.

Happy Healing
Donna:flwrysmile:
 
Just reading through the forum and came across another of your very informative comments @craftdee, this time talking about you not totally loving your new hip, at least in the early days! I feel almost ungrateful when I read the comments of others so excited abut their new hip. At the moment, whilst the pain has gone from the hip, I still feel somewhat debilitated by the stiffness and aches at times and the restrictions in range of motion and movements. When I turn on my side, I am SO aware of having a false hip, whether it is just in my mind I don't know! Ever since the operation I have felt altogether different as a person and am concerned I will never feel the same again! These feelings I know are nothing compared to some of the trials and tribulations people go through that I read on this forum and I feel a bit wicked having a bit of a moan, but it does help putting one's feelings out there rather than bottling them in!
 
Things will continue to progress @Jo Champagne ! The stiffness and aches and pains will ease. For some it just takes a bit more time. You are not wicked for having a moan - just impatient like all of us. Trust me - it gets better!
 
Oh yeah, @Jo Champagne ... better out than in as my Mum says :heehee: I often think the primary purpose of this and in fact ANY forum is to have a bit of a vent!

I am so with you re the feeling ungrateful; of course I'm glad not to have the bone on bone pain, which was a bear, but I still am not near the "pain free" status I was (unrealistically it would appear) expecting. MUCH better than before surgery, but not pain free. One thing I have to keep reminding myself of is the fact that I have aches and pains now that feel as bad as pre op - but now I don't take ANY medication and then I was taking daily NSAIDs, so I haven't really been comparing apples with apples :chinstroke:I am still hopeful of improvement too, I do need to get some "structured" assistance for the tendinits... I keep trying to work it all out for myself then don't want to blame myself for not being successful, duh!:doh:

The "foreign object" feel of your hip will definitely pass :yes: I remember at 12 weeks thinking that I was never going to be able to lay on my side, it was so uncomfortable; not exactly painful, felt like I had something between "me" and my skin or me and the bed... I persevered with just a few minutes at a time increasing slowly until all of a sudden I can lay on it half the night same as the other one... which is a good thing because THAT hip is really starting to play up and I couldn't even contemplate having it done until I was comfortable with the first one.

Don't feel you have to justify your relationship with your hip; THR has done for you what it's done for YOU, end of! :eyebrows: Some people have a fabulous outcome, some dreadful and I suspect the vast majority of us fit somewhere on the spectrum in between, weighted towards the good end.... in the final analysis you needed to have it done, you did, you have done all that you can to improve your situation, the value of it to you is what it is... and your improvement is by no means complete yet; a few months from now you'll reassess I'm sure

Donna :friends:
 
@craftdee very sound advice. I have the same moan. I am six weeks out and fear this is as good as it gets. I know better but emotionally have hit the proverbial wall, Poor hubby has been a rock but one thing he hates is tears and waterworks comes with this pity rant. I feel like I am part of a dance, slow up, go fast, back up, and can't do that. Sounds more like monopoly and I want the get out of jail card! Feel better now....thanks for listening.
 
@sunbunny
Just to say I'm 18 months post THR and really forget it's even there....honest injun!!
But to say my recovery was s.l.o.w would be an understatement!!!! There were times when I wondered why I even considered having the surgery...it took a good 6 months to be absolutely convinced I had done the right thing. At that stage I walked well, never limped & could sleep on my side. At a year everything was brilliant......
However, I didn't push my recovery too hard (a la BS .... Took it easy) and it worked. I have zero patience so this was hard for me & such an emotional recovery. I've had spinal surgery & other bits & pieces but this was by far the most difficult in terms of my physchological well being....So, really just saying it's the same for a lot of us but you get there in the end. It just feels like forever I know.
My hubby was very good for the first 6 weeks & then thought I should be tap dancing like the chap on Strictly come dancing!
Without BoneSmart I would have been taken away in a strait jacket! Take care & hang on in there.... Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hoppy Nanny thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I know you are right and I should be more patient. I will try but I feel like a fish in a fish bowl looking out as the world goes by. Oh no another pity rant! Ok I am going to do something today positive. This pessimistic view is not in my character. Out with the bad and in with the good! Oh happy day! There I am all better! Hugs!
 
@Jo Champagne
So know what you mean about feeling like a different person.....in my dreams I thought once I'd had the op I would be raring to go & feel optimistic & ready for life......mmmmm well I just felt old, pessimistic & disabled....my mind would not let me move on for some time....all I could see was this old girl trying to stand up & get moving but could not!
However, the stiffness does go away..eventually, & there is so much light at the end of that seemingly never ending tunnel!
Hang on.....life is good again!! It's just that thing .......time & patience.
Thank god for BoneSmart....! Xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
What I am loving at the moment is the continual support found here, especially checking and finding yet another supportive comment that makes me feel I am definitely not alone!
 
Just thought I would 'check in' with everyone to say at 10 weeks post op I am returning to work tomorrow. For the last couple of weeks I have been quite comfortable about the return, but today I really don't want to go back ...although I do believe it will be good to be distracted and have some normality in my life again! Still a bit stiff when I first stand up, but I can now walk normally which will surprise my work colleagues! I am looking forward to walking into the centre of town on my lunch break too, which I haven't done for 2 years or so! So...up early and a busy day ahead tomorrow!
 
I am going back full-time @Jaycey...luckily my job is not physical...I couldn't really afford any more time off work, so will be sensible and not rush around...my husband is off next week too, so he said I can come straight in from work and rest whilst he cooks dinner! Hopefully this plan will work!
 
Good evening everyone! Well, I survived my first week at work...yippee! Couple of issues, sitting in my office chair all day certainly makes me stiff, so as I first stand up I have to get myself together for the first step or so, so I don't limp, but then I am fine! Also, start of week 2 at work and today my operated leg has been achy this evening all down outside thigh. Can I ask a silly question too...which approach do you think I have had...long scar all down side of leg with a curve at top going towards buttock? One other thing...if I dare ask... Tried sexual relations but having an issue with operated leg groin pull when stretch the leg! So bit off putting at moment! will it go do you think... I am. Just over 11 weeks post op. Thanks in advance!
 
Congrats surviving that first week of work! Yes, sitting for long periods of time is difficult at first. Just keep getting up on a regular basis.
long scar all down side of leg with a curve at top going towards buttock
With exception of the curve toward the buttock, sounds like lateral. Here's a link to incision types.
Tried sexual relations but having an issue with operated leg groin pull when stretch the leg!
This is a bit of trial and error. You will gain more flexibility. But at first you and your partner might need to be a bit creative to avoid straining that op leg. Here's another link for you: Sex talking about sex after hip surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom