Guest viewing is limited

THR Officially a hippie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Jo Champagne thank you for putting your experience on as soon as you have I think we are all apprehensive about the first few days at home the worry about pain is at the front of all our minds. Reading stories like this is so reassuring thank you keep getting better everyday I am having mine done on Sunday 19. Hugs Mags x
 
Hi @narnybose
The pain for me was surprisingly minimal. As @torment said he was surprised that the constipation issues where more of a problem than the operation itself. As you said we are all apprehensive about the process but we all live to tell the tale, thanks to Bonesmart, the sharing is fantastic.

Just realised I am writing to you on @Jo Champagne 's thread so will revert back to yours.


@Jo Champagne have a lovely evening with your wonderful sounding husband!

x
 
Update for today...Adam, my husband decided it would be good to get out for a while so we visited Leamington Spa, which is about 20 minutes travelling time from our home. Before going we noticed the top end of my extremely long scar looked a bit sore so after putting a bit of bandage padding on it (think my knickers rub it a bit if I'm honest!) we set off. I was almost at a wobble stage, feeling I was being maybe a bit too adventurous after 10 days, but off we went. So glad we did as we found a fabulous tearoom and I negotiated the stairs ok, using one crutch only as the physio felt I wasn't really using the other one to good use. I did feel bit stiffer and bit of a pull on scar side but not pain as such. Felt it was really working my muscles though, so that's got to be good I reckon. Back home now having a rest in bed. Thinking of you all near and far...we are all in this wonderful support network! Xxx
 
It is good for the soul @Jo Champagne to have an outing. I have been to Leamington Spa a few years ago. Glad that you are mixing short outings with resting.

I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the process of healing.

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and the medically acknowledged approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know
 
Hi @Jo Champagne
Your trip to leamington was adventurous! In the early stages I found the seat belt rubbed the top of my scar. I bet you sleep well tonight x
 
Good on you Jo for getting in an outing so early on....

I think I did that during my second week....took my sis and her partner out for very expensive dinner to thank them for letting me stay at their place. Started to fall asleep after about 1 1/2 hr...but delicious meal....:)

Don't forget to ice...and sleep in between any adventure you might have :)

Best to you!
 
@copsham and @mydog, indeed! I did enjoy my trip out but did feel very tired and feel I overdid the walking a bit as a result! My leg is a bit stiffer today and think I have put pressure on my foot as my big toe aches on the operated side! Oh dear! Each day is certainly different isn't it? Will do bit less today! I'm just frustrated because I so want to get back to being normal again! Crazy, it's only been 11 days!
 
Hi @Jo Champagne,
I've just read your recovery thread and am very interested because we are fellow rainbow friends. My op date is 20 April. It's interesting you said your operated leg woke up first. I suppose you had the spinal anaesthesia. I chose that, too, and my anaesthiologist said my unoperated leg would wake up first.
I enjoy reading diaries in bonesmart also because it's interesting to read how things are done differently in different countries. While I'm German, my husband is English - from Hertfordshire north of London. It looks as though they usually use a walker and then as stick (cane) in the US while in the UK, like we do in Germany, they start off with two crutches - later on - just one. Congratulations for managing with just one crutch after such a short period.
Another thing is that in Germany they are not in a hurry sending people home after hip surgery (contrary to other kinds of surgery). I've been told I'll stay in hospital 1 week, and then we usually go to a rehab centre for 3 weeks with in-house physiotherapy. I chose that to stop myself from overdoing things, especially too much housework at the beginning. I think that's wiser. Of course I might get bored but maybe at weekends, - similarly to you - I can go on outings with my husband if he picks me up. With these summery temperatures, maybe we can sit outside and have a coffee/meal/icecream. Today, it will be 25°C (how much is that in Fahrenheit :)?). I've heard it's sunny in England, too, now. Happy recovery!
 
Hi @Constanze, think I mis-typed about my legs after op! Just so you get the accurate facts from me! My un-operated awoke first, followed by the operated one! I kept telling the nursing staff that they had got my operated leg bent and it needed to be laid straight! They told me patients often have funny feelings after being numbed and unreal sensations! I did check though and sure enough it was flat and straight! I had a spinal combined with a light GA which worked really well! Enjoy the sunshine and I wish you well for the 20th and look forward to hearing about your recovery!
 
Have been following all the threads but been quiet for a while! Nearly 7 weeks post op and things appear to be progressing quite well physically, although it seems slow to me! I have always been a worrier, but since the op I feel like I am a different person in some ways. I am extremely 'hip aware' and each day find something different to worry about be it dislocation or infection etc.. Here in the UK, I feel post op we are left to get on with things without support. Would be great if there was a group or someone to chat with face to face for quick half hour per week to discuss progress and for me, probably keep things in proportion! I have got a long list of questions to put to my consultant at my checkup next week! I want to know if there comes a time when you can truly relax and just get on with day to day living without even thinking about the hip, without restrictions, just turn over in bed without a pillow between my legs, be able to bend deeply enough to get in and out of my bath, sit down to sunbathe on the sand on holiday and get up normally, wear my high heels...and so it goes on! Just writing this on here is therapy for me, but would so appreciate comments!
 
Here in the UK, I feel post op we are left to get on with things without support.
I hear you @Jo Champagne ! Discharged from hospital and that's it! That's why BoneSmart was a part of my LTHR recovery. I felt totally alone and would come and ask all my questions and address my concerns here. There are plenty of us from the UK on this board. Feel free to share your concerns here! It does help!
I want to know if there comes a time when you can truly relax and just get on with day to day living without even thinking about the hip
Yes indeed there will come a time when you forget that new hip. The time is different for everyone - as recovery is also different. But I can confirm I don't even think about my replaced hips anymore. Note that this was well after 7 weeks post op. Please don't worry - you'll get there. It just takes time and loads of patience.
 
Hi @Jo Champagne
I agree with you about lack of support in UK. In this area you have once a week for six hours of hydrotherapy/physiotherapy then that is it. I paid for additional support but it should not have to be that way. The hip certainly gives a lot to be concerned about. It is hard to get a balance between worrying obsessively about dislocation at one extreme and being foolhardy at the other. I am 4-5 months post op and like you "a worrier". i can honestly say I went through the wars with fears as well as realities. However I can also say that I got to the point of thinking less and less about my hip. I even got to the point of seeing myself in a window and thinking "wow I am walking straight"

It is a rollercoaster process that does get better and better. I find myself picking up things without thinking, walking up and down stairs with out thinking and going places without thinking. So YES it does get better!
 
Hi @Jo Champagne ,
Nice to hear from you. Yes, it's true, there will be a Point in life when you can enjoy & get on in life without bein over-cautious. They have often said in Bonesmart "listen to your Body". So it's trial and error. If a movement hurts, it's too soon for that movement, if it's fine, it's safe to do it. Me for example (I'm 4 1/2 weeks post OP), I can go up and down the stairs normally, but certain bending movements are still too painful.

I find it interesting to read that you think in the UK, you are more or less left to your own devices. Now I don't want to encourage stereotyped ideas, but I'm wondering: Is this one of those things about English-speaking countries. My English husband taught me this expression "If you don't ask you don't get", but sometimes a bit more guidance would help, wouln't it. And I felt that in Germany, it's the other extreme: While in Germany, with other surgery they make you leave hospital after 2-3 days, as in the UK, they seem to play safe when it comes to hip replacement. It's 7 days in hospital, usually followed by 3 weeks in a rehab centre where they teach you to get used to your new hip slowly and help you recover. You can do your recovery at home in Germany, too, and go to physiotherapy as an outpatient, but I felt safer going to rehab. Looking back on it, however, I think, I could have coped at home. I didn't expect such a speedy recovery. Guidance about certain movements (golfer's reach to pick things up, how to use a towel as a sock putter onner etc.), gait training and physiotherapy was useful and fun, but I felt we were often treated more like children in a Boarding school than responsible adults.

It's good to read how things work in other countries. I wish you all the best carry on reporting and best wishes - Constanze
 
Hi @Jo Champagne It is interesting about being "turned out" and left to your own devices: the standard (for Posterior Approach) here is 5 - 8 days in hospital, though I was certainly not unusual in staying only 3 nights, you're shown the basics over those days of walking with aids (I went straight to crutches, so I don't know if you get shown those if you use a walker at first), you're not allowed to leave until you can show that you can use the bathroom and steps, you're shown how to use your dressing stick.... though my OT said "here's the stick, I'm sure you'll work it out" in a nice way :)... of course I did; it's not rocket science :heehee: then you get discharged and have your FIRST PT session at six weeks... about the same time as your follow up appointment with the OS. Your staples or stitches are removed at about 2 weeks, at which time you may or may not see your OS. I was given several phone numbers (OS and PT) if I had any real concerns.

That said, I have no complaints! I did pay a physio to come to my home for an hour at about 2 weeks to make sure I was walking correctly and to address some muscle/tendon issues, I asked her if I needed for her to come again and she replied (very honestly, I felt) that there wasn't much point; the exercises I had been shown at the hospital prior to discharge were "more than enough"... with emphasis on "more", the probable reason of my muscle issues was doing too much exercise, that walking was the best and I could do both exercises and walking easily at home.

It may very well have been different had I not had support available at home. I found my GP was helpful, but only because she has had a THR herself and "got" what I was asking about.... and all the other information I needed was right here on BoneSmart!! To be honest, the things I was inquisitive about most of the medical staff were clueless on; I liken it to a childless midwife giving you advice on labour and breastfeeding... she may "know" the answers, but nah, she doesn't :snork: A Forum such as this, full of "been there done thats" was priceless; answering questions I didn't even know I had and preparing me for steps to come (for instance not one medical person in the prelude or aftermath of this surgery told me about "log leg", I could move my leg easily in hospital so it didn't come up... three nights later when it hit I was only able to deal with it because I had read about it here and knew what it was - and that it was both transient and not an omg my leg's gonna fall off scenario)

I'm sure rehab is great for some people, I'm equally sure it would be dreadful for others... I definitely would fall into the second category: I feel isolated and depressed in that sort of environment, regardless of how great the staff are, I sleep badly, feel "institutionalised" somehow, loathe the lack of freedom to make simple decisions for myself... like when to have a shower and when to eat and feel that being at home I am being given some say in how and what I do in my recovery - feel part of a process rather than the subject of one!!

So I suppose what I'm saying is you can't please all the people all the time :rotfl: We either feel smothered or neglected... unless you're me, I felt "just right" - thanks to the support I found here, which was appropriate, available at all hours and FREE :loll:Also this recovery is NOT a "one size fits all" kind of thing, so the advice I might have got from medical staff may not have "fit" my scenario exactly, but at least SOMEONE on BoneSmart would come up with something that worked for me.

You will start thinking about your hip less. To be honest it's all a bit "on hold" until you are given your clearance by your OS, it is only "box ticking" but it really does mark the end of a phase in your recovery mentally. Most of the bending, turning over in bed etc will be available to you again once those restrictions are lifted, some things take a little while to develop (like tying your shoelaces, I hadn't bent over in 12 weeks so I had to retrain some muscles :heehee:) Now I never even think about bending past 90 degrees, or rolling onto my side

Have all those questions written down, take your OS's replies on board, but even they're not gospel (for instance the OS who was going to do my THR told me I would never be "allowed" to cross my legs/ankles again... EVER, the one who did the op said "I want you to think of nothing but this hip for 12 weeks, then never think about it again. My job is to give you a "normal" life back, if that means crossing your legs, cross your legs!!" Who to believe? Well, in my case .... the one that suited me :loll:

Donna :flwrysmile:
 
Hello @Jo Champagne - good to hear you are shimmying forwards and upwards - and just like me (and probably a lot of the rest of us here) worry about how things will all turn out. Asking about stuff on here is a great way to air those concerns and get a lot of good feedback, as you have already received from the wise and the wonderful above. I keep meaning to wean myself away from the forum, but the reassurance from reading other experiences is soothing to my normally fretting brow, so I haven't.

As far as going back to normal goes, if you think about how you were in week 1, I'm sure you will see how far you have come already. I keep ticking off weeny little goals (slept on my operated side this week!) and also being honest with myself when I do too much and acknowledging the effects - ow, tired etc. We are at a similar period post op but I'll bet you are doing some things quicker than I am, and vice versa on others. We will get there :)
 
Latest update is at 7 weeks 3 days (yesterday) I had check up with my surgeon. He was happy with my progress and I did go to appointment armed with a list of questions which he answered and put my mind at ease. The only real remaining restrictions are that until 4 months post op he doesn't want me doing deep bending or wearing high heels. I did say I have a groin pull feeling on my operated side which dd not seem to concern him. However I just wanted to mention this to you all here as it isn't a pain but definitely a strain/ pull. Would like to know your thoughts and comments and do you think, given time it should improve or go? I know in the big scheme of things it is still fairy early days!
 
Would like to know your thoughts and comments and do you think, given time it should improve or go?
Muscles on your op site usually atrophy while you are trying to stay off that sore hip pre-op. It can be quite significant depending on how long you limped around. The good news is this does ease. A bit of time and maybe some very gentle stretching. Sounds like you are right on track!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom