BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[MUA] Oct 2017 TKR - Hematoma - MUA - Finally past 90!<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by funkymuse, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Some of us on another thread recently were talking about some weird symtoms that have popped up in recovery and I think it was @SusieShoes who said her surgeon mentioned Post Surgery Syndrome (Susie, is that right?)

We shared our symptoms and decided it was from that. Maybe that’s the itching in your feet?

My symptom was a disgusting rough texture with a dark tan color only on the tops of my toes. I was afraid I wasn’t washing my feet good enough, having trouble reaching them. After a couple of months I was able to scrub it off and underneath was pink new skin.
    :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I don’t think my OS gave it a name or called it post-surgery syndrome, but he did say strange but harmless things sometimes happen, like when my leg hair grew back darker, coarser, and more plentiful. Or when stitches erupt through incisions. One of my bruises is fading only now, nearly a year later.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

That’s why I checked with you, @SusieShoes, I couldn’t remember what thread we were discussing this. I thought he’d named it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MyTest

MyTest junior member

@funkymuse Hello. I use to get in a bending maching, called flexinator I think, and actually got to 120 on the mach. Then I was 118 for a bit, then 115 and finally at 110 consistently. I would say I remained consistent appx a month after the MUA. Not sure why I didn't remain at 118 though. Overall my goal was being able to take the steps and I reached that even though some days taking the steps is uncomfortable.

I didn't realize you had 2 MUAs, is that right? Personally, I think each time you have something done to your knee that restarts or delays the healing process some. Plus I think some people just heal slower. The fact your ROM has increased since the MUA shows you are improving. Before you know it you will be at 100. :happydance:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. rtkneeandy

rtkneeandy junior member

@funkymuse...Wow....It seems that we all have our troubles here, and you are having more than your share. You and I are some of the worst for both flex, and extension that I can find on the forum. My last PT visit is tomorrow...no more left on insurance. They limit me to 20 visits. Im only at about 94 flex and extension of 10. My wife has been helping me with pushing down on the leg to help it go straight. I was supposed to go back to OS on the 19th of last month but I didn't want the abuse so I skipped it. I am working every day as well. Sure is nice when the weekend gets here so I can rest it for two days. I sure feel useless on those days. The day before surgery I was hauling fire wood and operating a Bobcat, so i'm not used to siting around. Keep me posted on your progress and ill do the same.
    Andy,

• Like Like x 1
  6. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

Hello everyone...
    I'm so busy at work and so exhausted when I get home that I just can't post much these days.
    I feel as if I'm inching my way toward 90 and if I hit about a 6 on the pain scale during a knee stretch, I can do it ... but pushing into pain is not the protocol and so I can safely say that some days I KNOW I'm at 85 - 87 and some days just around 82 but I'm definitely more bendy. Can't go down stairs at all yet - and in going up - I need a rail. I feel like, compared to others, I'm so far behind - but then I think of all the setbacks and forget about comparing myself and just keep moving on. My knee feels very mechanical and not like a nice smooth joint - I suppose that will come with time? Most of the time I still have to keep icing it or it swells internally and gets bothered.
    I saw my OS last Monday and he was very non-chalanant - like he didn't care or is just 'over me' and my slow movement. He ask if I wanted to come back in a month or just play it by ear. I chose the later - which will be NEVER. I think we are both glad to be done with one another! I left feeling really let down however - as I feel he was never in 'my' cheering section but rather just riding the medical protocol of insisting I do things a certain way and since I obviously didn't in his mind, then he can't cheer me on. So I felt like the child who has gone through a very tramatic time with a parent who just doesn't have any support or encouraging words for the child and it kind of hurt - but we can't make people be as we would like them to be. He wanted me to continue going to PT twice a week for six more weeks. I lied and told him I was going twice a week when in fact I have been going once a week and my last appt was this past thurs. I like it but it's just too expensive.
    So I guess i'm out here on my own now with all of you and thank GOD for you or I'd really feel like a ship out to see with no oars!
    Thanks again for all your support and good words.. I will continue on and report in as things improve!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. CdnCarol

CdnCarol junior member

I’ve read a lot of threads that describe some pretty dramatic problems, then you skip ahead 8 pages and 6 months and it is like a different person is posting. This will be you, too, I am certain.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Robinmhs88

Robinmhs88 member

I swear your doctor and my doctor are one in the same. I get the disappointed look and shaking of his head but never his support. I didn’t sign up to be in this position, I was assured this would be better for me. I was limping around before this surgery and mua but never had a problem bending. I pray for you everyday and hope that someday soon this will be a memory. God Bless you and keep doing what works for you! Big hugs

9. Spex10

Spex10 graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    That's awful that your OS was so unsympathetic. Mine was the opposite and it was very reassuring that he went to great pains to tell me and DH that my needing a MUA was not my fault in some way. The second PT was great too. The first? - not so much!!

10. MyTest

MyTest junior member

@funkymuse Just keep up the faith. I think some surgeons feel their job is just to do the surgery. I even heard some do the surgery and send you to your family Dr for the aftercare. Unfortunately I had one like yours. At the last visit when I told him I still had an issue he told me 'he has done all he can do and I didn't need to come back'. So I went to another Dr for his opinion. That may something you need to do if you have some concerns. Actually getting an second opinion is what helped me after the first surgery. Take care and we are pulling for you!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

Hey Everyone...
    I'm down really sick with a cold that has made my entire body horribly exhausted and achy. I have pressure in my head and jaw but I've been doing a nettie pot to battle back nasal congestion. My question is that today my knee is horribly stiff. More than it has been in a long time. Is this from the cold? I have not been moving much and maybe that's part of it?

thanks for any insights and experiences on this....

love to all on this Easter Day...

12. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I hope you soon start to feel better. :console2:

There's nothing specific about a cold that should upset your knee, but it's likely that the stiffness is part of generally feeling rotten. It should improve as you start to feel better.

Pamper yourself and drink plenty of clear fluids. Take Tylenol regularly.

13. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I was almost a year out when I broke my right foot and ankle. I was unable to bare any weight on it for 4-5 weeks. During this time my new knee was very uncomfortable. It ached, and was stiff. I think this came from not being able to use it. Since you are less active because of that nasty cold, this could be causing your knee's negative reaction.

If you have the kind of cold that was going around this area, it's a bad one and takes at least 10 days to 2 weeks to get rid of. I pray yours isn't that bad and you can get back to your normal activities. I found the Netti Pot cut down the time my cold lasted compared to others' healing time. I bet it'll help you, too.

14. liam2015

liam2015 post-grad

Canada Canada
    :hi:hi funkymuse...yes, i think you're feeling stiffer than usual because you haven't been moving around as much due to feeling crappy with a cold. it's good that you are remembering that you had setbacks and no use comparing your progress to others. as long as your flexion is improving, even just a little every so often, then you know it will continue to improve. after dinner and cleaning up the kitchen tonight, i sat in a comfy chair with my feet up and boy did i feel stiff when i got up, so you're not alone there.

sorry you're not feeling well with that cold. take good care. love back to you this Easter day.:flwrysmile:

15. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

Hello all
    This past week was very hard with having to work 10 hours the Friday before last and 10 hours last Monday which leaves me not much time to check in here...plus i was just not feeling well all week and my sugar addiction kicked in again and left me horribly sick from eating to much sweet stuff. I'm just today on Day 3 of no sugar and starting to feel somewhat human again.

Yes @SusieShoes - I have been wondering if one can develop adhesions at a later date in their recovery and your response is helpful. Why I've been wondering is that on the days when I overdo by walking too much at work or maybe doing to many ADL's - for instance, last weekend I got on the bike for 10 min in the morning, did some here and there throughout the day, and then later took a 12 min walk.. I got stiffened up.. or another instance is this past Friday I had to go to the store after work and between work and the store, it was way too much walking for my knee and I ended up stiff & struggling with this knee most of all day yesterday and not as bendy today.

I know that we all have days where we have done too much and then have to spend a day to a couple of weeks or more recovering from that, so I just don't want to live in fear that overdoing now and again in doing my 'normal' living, or walking a bit too much is going to cause adhesions to form!

I read stories of people at my stage riding their bikes for 1/2 hour or walking for that long and I'm not even close to that point yet. When I attempt to do a bit more... the ole' knee swells and if I keep on, it swells to the point of pain. Heck I can't even get up and do ADL's without the swelling starting within 10 min of being up. I walk around most days here at the house and at work with my ice pad strapped to my knee - that's the only way I can do it!

So is this still normal for a person like me and my history of this knee recovery? And if I have a day when I do a bit too much, do I really need to worry about adheasions forming? To me that would seem silly since I'm not pushing into horrible pain at PT Sessions and when my swelling does start, I sit down or ice my knee. But I just want to make sure!

Not much else to report.. life is going on and on and on... :)

Blessings to all.

Christina

16. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yes!
    You are just 2 months out from your MUA, and only 7 months from your TKR. It takes a year+ for full recovery.
    If you do too much your knee will let you know with pain, swelling, and inflammation. Keep doing what you have been doing, Rest, Ice, Elevate.
    If you have a day when you know you have done a lot, take it easy for a day and let your knee settle down, before it tells you (with pain, swelling, and inflammation).
    Do not compare yourself to anyone else, they may be riding for a 1/2 hour, but not telling you they ice and elevate. afterwards.
    Every recovery is different, even other knee on the same person.

Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

17. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

Thank you @Pumpkln!
    I sat in my sauna last night and when my knee warms up it is more bendy. I swear I was at 90! Then I did my back leg stretches.. where I lay on the tummy and bend my knee back holding it gently as the quad muscles stretch. I got done with that and hung my leg over the bed and I'm sure it was 90! But then last night after a day of working and then the stretching, my knee hurt on the inside near the scar so.. I don't know if I'm aggravating scar tissue or what but I iced and put Sombra cream on and it settled down. Today other than walking at work.. and ADL's, I'm doing very little.

BTW @Celle did you ever get any Sombra cream? Was it you that was interested in it?

• Like Like x 1
  18. kmak81230

kmak81230 post-grad

Hi funkymuse - I still get stiff if I overdo it at 12 months post-surgery. I don’t think you will develop adhesions from doing too much.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    No , I wasn't the one who was interested in Sombra cream.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

Hello everyone.. a question.. At 6 months and doing ADL's and a bit of stretching throughout the day, and 3 min of biking - at night my knee gets VERY HOT inside and kind of aches on the inside area where the scar is (my OS does a cut on the inner part of my knee -not one down the middle of my knee), is this hot feeling normal? I usually get up and get an ice pad to cool it down because it's very hot - kind of burning.

I'm certainly NOT overdoing in any sense of the word so maybe this is a progression of the healing?

Thanks much! Hope all are doing well on this early Spring Sunday!!!

:flwrysmile: