MUA Oct 2017 TKR - Hematoma - MUA - Finally past 90!<

Thank you @Josephine !!! And everyone!! I'm so amazed!!! From 60 to 'stuck at 82' after the first two surgeries; and then from 82 to 45 after the MUA on Feb 8th; and finally from 45 to 120 from Feb 8th to now!

Do you mind if I celebrate a little!!!???? WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wowspring::happydance::yay::loveshwr::egypdance::spin::SUNsmile::wowspring:

Without you all... I don't know what I would have done.. gone insane possibly!!

Sunday, I had some tears come up regarding how hard I tried... I remember so many days I struggled to get to that stupid PT office and other appointments only to be belittled and told I wasn't working hard enough as I sat there in awful pain and swelling with not even a friendly caring word about how much I was hurting.

I even tried an acupuncture session and had to go up and down a huge flight of stairs to get to the guy and suffered so much even just sitting in his chair with the needles in me. I finally had to leave as I was in too much pain. It was dumb.. I was thinking. "I should be home with my leg up and iced - this is doing nothing." And then the days I went to work WAY too early in my recovery after the first 2 surgeries and struggled so hard. And then after the MUA my job threatening me with dismissal if I didn't get back there FULL TIME 2 weeks after!!! I was not READY - as some of you know and those days were even HARDER - but thank God for Tramadol!

I remember the 1st time I went to the last PT Gal who used the 'cupping' after my MUA - and as I came down from the appointment back to the car, I was just so emotional and shaking all over from pain and fear. In looking back, at all these episodes, I was indeed a trooper and I cried for all the suffering I did as I struggled in fear that I was going to be "permanently disabled the rest of my life if I didn't get to such and such a number by such and such a date!" Oh my God! What's wrong with these people! I'll say it again - how rude that was to say to a patient.. how hurtful to say that to someone who has been doing the best they can. It's just BS!!! USING FEAR to try and push someone DOES NOT HELP THE PATIENT! I feel that it's truly 'emotional abuse!!'

I'm positive that the hematoma really set me back quite a bit and the subsequent surgery to remove it possibly caused my kneecap to get stuck in place so that the MUA was needed. I have no idea if there was any so-called scar tissue but all that doesn't matter now. I'm just so glad to be here - I'm just pinching myself! Wow... this was truly some hard won ROM!!!

It's truly been quite a journey and I know it's not over yet...

135 here I come!
:giggle:
 
Last edited:
i'm thrilled you are well on your way to an even better than 120 degrees flexion. congratulations and you definitely should celebrate. what's that saying "when we know better, we do better" (maya angelou).:SUNsmile:
 
Time, the great healer, strikes again! I’m so happy for you! I remember how down you would get early in recovery. It’s so difficult to be patient when our bodies are being slow and pokey about healing. But you hung in there and never gave up. You’ll get even better ROM as you continue to be active and use your new knee. :loveshwr:
 
So good to hear that you are doing so well. Sometimes back then you really struggled and were your worst enemy. Now, you are your, and others, best advocate! Experience is the best teacher.
 
That information really gives me hope as I went from 45 to 90 after MUA on March 5th and am now at 96 following the Bonesmart recovery way!! It is hard not to feel a little despondent at times but reading a post like yours really helps - thanks and well done.
 
This is the best news ever!!! I'm so proud of you for hanging in there with us. Sometimes it is so difficult to have one opinion from BoneSmart and quite another from your medical team. It's difficult to know which way to go. But you are proof positive that a more gentle approach is the best route for most people - especially those who are having issues in early recovery. You are on the good path now, though, and you should see continued improvements in the coming months. Sometimes it just takes a while when your body has been through so much.

Hold your head high, girl!! You've done a GREAT job!!!
 
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing and giving all of us hope that eventually we will have success stories to share too! May you continue to grow strong and have a happy life! [emoji175][emoji175][emoji175]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hello everyone! Such kind responses! thank you so much and I'm glad my story will help others. So many of the stories helped me tremendously through my hard times although I know that the way each of our knees heal is so unique but still we all know the journey and can relate and support.

I've heard many people talk about a clicking in their knee ... well when I walk downhill I have one. But it feels phantom... and I can't tell where it's coming from. It's a dull kind of feeling.. and not really a 'clicking sound' per say. It almost feels like a tendon moving over a bone or something and like it's coming from my hip or in the middle of my leg or... ???? I can't quite distinguish where it's coming from. Granted my knee still has internal swelling and I can't survive without my stocking yet as it feels kind of swollen and heavy feeling without it, (so the stocking helps), so I'm hoping that as the swelling goes down, the dull click will go away.

Any experiences with this will be great to read.. thank you.
 
I had both knees replaced at the same time, and both of my knees clicked/clunked... at different times! First it was my right knee, which healed faster than the left and was less painful -- but it started clicking at around three months after surgery when the swelling went down a lot. It clicked when walking for a few weeks. It was a phantom sound like you said, as much felt as heard, but very definite and not painful in any way. Then that clicking went away.

About a month or two later, the left knee decided to click on my morning walks. I actually welcomed it by saying, "Glad you decided to join in!" In my mind the clicking wasn't a bad thing. It happened in my right knee when the swelling went away and so did the pain! So I figured Lefty was similarly on the mend. And sure enough after a couple of weeks Lefty's clicking also went away. I think the clicking goes away when the muscles and soft tissues supporting the knee get stronger and snug up to hold things tight again after all the swelling.

Neither of my knees clicks on regular basis now. Every once in a while I will "hear" a click or a clunk, never painful, just there. And I can click my knees if I want to by positioning them a certain way and moving my legs. It freaks out Mr. Shoes, so I only do it when I want to torture him. My Mom and sister can click their knees, too, and they've had theirs for years. Clicking is just something that comes with the territory.
 
First of all, read this:
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

My right knee made clunking noises after I had the revision from PKR to TKR. Although it decreased gradually, that knee made noises for almost 5 years. They did get softer, and no one else heard them. I gradually learned to ignore them - so much so that I didn't even notice they had stopped until my husband asked me about them.

Me left knee, just to be different, has never made any noises at all.
 
hi ~ i won't be much help here but i have to tell you that i was thrilled when i finally felt and heard a clicking in my knee. i remember the surgeon used to put my knee to his ear and i wasn't sure what he was doing. then weeks later my physiotherapist did the same thing and was happy to report she could hear a clicking. it was several more weeks before i heard or felt anything and when i did, i felt like i "belonged".:curtsey: i really should read the link that Celle posted above. my p.t. explained it to me but i don't remember what she said.:chinstroke:
 
"The tibia's connected...to the femur,
The femur's connected....to the pelvis..."
etc

:happydance:

You're doing great!
 
Well I'd like to know if anyone else has to keep wearing a stocking or other soft compression material around the knee at 9 months? I'm about to hit 9 months and my knee is still slowly improving in strength and stamina and I think I have a bit more bend, but when I walk about without my stocking it feels like there is a blob of swelling inside my knee. It's not painful just uncomfortable and the more I go without the stocking the more uncomfortable it gets almost like more swelling is starting up. Also above my knee is a blob of what looks like a small pocket of swelling.

thoughts? experiences?
 
good to hear from you @funkymuse. funny you should mention about a "blob of swelling". i have that also but it doesn't feel uncomfortable or restrict me in any way ~ it just looks weird to me, and yes "blob" is the perfect description. i don't have any insight into the stocking and the comfort you get from it. i'm happy to hear that things are slowly improving.:flwrysmile::yes:
 
I’m 14 months post LTKR and still need to wear a compression sleeve to walk about and exercise. It got better around the 10th month - less need when just walking about but still used when exercising. Then had a RTKR in May (12 months post for left) and have regressed back to the need for a compression sleeve for comfort. Can’t go down stairs foot over foot d/t discomfort with the left unless I have the sleeve on. I also have a pocket of swelling directly below the incision on the left side. RTKR progressing fine - no need as of yet for a compression sleeve with that one yet. OS thinks/hopes all will even out eventually but meanwhile not thrilled that I have the continue need for some form of compression on the left after 14 months and wonder about the “blob” of fluid below the incision. Just what I’m experiencing no thoughts on the why. Guess it will just get back to the dreaded 4 letter word of TIME! Get real sick of hearing that:gaah:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom