MUA Oct 2017 TKR - Hematoma - MUA - Finally past 90!<

@funkymuse i'm thrilled for you. i found that 7 months post op was a turning point for me also. it's been just over a year post op for me and i'm riding my bike outside now; gaining strength in both thighs and have been doing anything i did before the surgery. i still have stiffness after sitting, driving and getting up in the morning, which i am now attributing to my age. :old:

again, i'm so happy for you and i hope that you will see improvement every day and be painfree.:flwrysmile:
 
Great to hear of your slow but sure progress. I'm trying hard to remember all this as I approach my LTKR next month. Its not a great prospect.
 
Great job @funkymuse to finally be past 90! I wish you continued success! [emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thanks everyone.. such kind words as I sit here now stiff and tired from being on my feet too much yesterday! It's just so hard to be shut down! Oh well at least I don't have to go to work today!!!

Oh gosh @Spex10 - i have to give you and so many others a round of applause of courage. I just couldn't face another one of these surgeries especially since the first one is still quite a bear. Will be praying hard for a better journey on your 2nd one...
 
Ok - 7 months 1 week in and I think things are beginning to settle in more and more everyday with this knee. I couldn't have said this yesterday however!!!! LOL Last night my knee was so internally swollen that I woke in the night with it in a bent position and it was painful to un-bend it!! Anyone ever have that happen? That was the first time it ever happened and kind of alarmed me.. but I'm speculating that my knee was upset from going up the stairs at work several times yesterday and as well being on it all day at work - up and down - up and down.

But this morning after it warmed up, it started doing much better.. looser and I could walk quite a bit without it bugging AND I even came home and took a 20 min walk which included a pretty steep hill. So it's the back and forth of too much, and just enough and slowly but surely things get better and better.

I'm kind of shocked at this point as I think back to the OS and the PT's pushing and pushing when it seems that over time.. the knee just heals and gets better without all that HEAVY PAINFUL pushing. I mean I do stretch and I have stretched and done little things along the journey but I always felt to run away from all that painful pushing and I did.

I know a few people who are not members of this site, who pushed through with alot of pain and suffering and a couple of them now have constant weird pains. Well I do have some of those two - just weird pains that come around but then they go.. they are not constant. So I'm glad I did not push and shove and TRY to make my knee bend.. it's slowly getting there. I know that the bend is going to have a good ROM when all is said and done... it's already pretty good.. I now I'm somewhere between 90 and maybe 115? I can't tell...

So.. onward and upward I guess. I'm not as far as many at my stage BUT I had two other procedures on the knee as well, so again, another thing I was told since the beginning here on BoneSmart, is that YOU CAN'T COMPARE YOUR KNEE to other peoples and it's true.

Hope everyone has a fantastic 3 day weekend! Be safe and keep the 'knee healing' faith....
 
Gosh.. it's still so hard to be up on my leg for any length of time. I have to really space out the periods of being up on it and sitting down! Anyone have this issue?
 
Your poor leg has been through the mill, especially early on. More than most.

You’re only 6 months out. Halfway to healing.

Just do what you can and try to keep your leg happy. :console2:
 
it is so great to read of your progress @funkymuse even though you have to space out your time on your feet. i am in awe of you going to work through all this ~ you can count that as a big part of your exercise routine and maybe part of the reason you haven't been able to rest, ice and elevate when you need to. there's nothing wrong with that; like i said, i admire you for toughing it out. you've got a great attitude too in not trying to rush things by pushing yourself as much as you would like to be further ahead. have a good rest of the week!:flwrysmile:
 
You all are GREAT!!! Thank you for your kind and supportative responses!!! I don't want to push too hard as I've heard too many horror stories of scare tissue forming if you do too much and cause too much heat and pain. Plus I don't like pain even though every conventional PT and OS say you have to suffer through and scream into pillows. How horrific and stupid!!! What are we still in the cave man age? Jeez!!! ARGGH!

Tonight was a milestone... I walked 30 min down two hills and back up! Then I stretched. I have found a way to do the strap stretch without the strap. Standing and facing forward - lifting my foot up behind me, I put the front of my foot up on the chair arm of of our cushy living room chairs, bending at the knee and its high enough where it stretches the length of my quad really nicely without stressing my knee but I still feel it in the knee!!! It's great! And if I want a deeper stretch I just put another pillow up on the arm of the chair or just lean back more!

I hope this helps some of you! It's a GREAT stretch.. My favorite!

hugs to all!!!
 
Can anyone give me an idea of what my ROM in the bend is? i'm excited to find out!!!! @Celle
[Bonesmart.org] Oct 2017 TKR - Hematoma - MUA - Finally past 90!<
 
I think, to get an accurate ROM measurement, you also need to include your hips. Can you manage another photo that shows the top of your femur?
 
@funkymuse Any time my ROM was measured my foot was always flat on the table and I would slide it back. It looks like a good bend to me.
 
Wow, how awesome is that!!! :wowspring:

After all that hassle they gave you early on, TIME has done it’s healing process. There is no window of opportunity to regain ROM. It might even get better. Don’t worry about it.

I’m so happy for you. :console2:

You can totally relax and just let the rest of the healing happen! :dancy:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom