MUA Oct 2017 TKR - Hematoma - MUA - Finally past 90!<

can one work on Tramadol and also will I have trouble coming off of that drug when I need to?
I had no trouble functioning with Tramadol or coming off of it, but that's just me. Can you postpone going back to work a few more weeks? You knee has really suffered another trauma and needs to heal from this new trauma, along with the tkr.

And you can ice 24/7. I almost did for the first month. As long as you have a cloth between you and the ice pad you'll be fine. Ice brings down pain, swelling and inflammation.
 
@sistersinhim - If I don't get back to work by the 19th they are going to replace me and I cannot afford to take off much more time either. I will begin to ice more often and I may try the tramadol. shoot... maybe it will help the inflammation...

@Polkadot what I do now is take a thin gel ice pad and put it on my knee and pull a stretchy knee brace over it which holds it in place over my knee. it works beautifully. I do that at work. but right now the knee is too swollen to handle that much pressure on it so I have to stay down when I ice. but I have to stay down most of the day anyway.
 
It sounds like you need something more for pain. While oxycodone made me feel loopy, I had no issue not taking it, especially after my infection surgery. I was on a low dose and didn’t need to wean, I just stopped because I didn’t really need it and felt no I’ll effects.
I’m one of those that got no relief from Tramadol at all, so I can’t help there.
 
Staying down is the best thing for you right now. I'm so sorry you have no choice on going back to work. At least you can ice there and that's a good thing!
 
Yes, icing at work will be good and it does help with pain. Elevate as much as you’re able, because stiffness from a knee that is “down” while you’re sitting will still be pretty fierce for a while. Do whatever you can to minimize the activity of your commute, also, as that adds a lot to your daily activity. For example, if you can wrangle, however temporarily or for added expense, a closer parking spot. Bag your own lunch instead of walking to the cafeteria. That sort of thing. Every little bit helps.
 
Hi, @funkymuse. I obviously can't offer expert advice on meds, but can offer personal experience. I got dizzy on Tramadol, but then I only took it once. I am going to try again at bedtime on nights when I am having a lot of pain. My brother-in-law takes it daily for pain associated with COPD. It doesn't affect him in terms of loopiness at all. My understanding, though, is that it is a low-level narcotic and may not take care of the level pain you are having. I'm so sorry you continue to have so much pain after your MUA! Hugs.
 
Well folks.. the pain has come on like a freight train this afternoon. Not sure what has sparked this but possibly the cortisone and block finally totally left my system. I just took 1/2 of a Dilaudid. I called the doctors office and ask for some Robaxin - a muscle relaxer that won't make me so loopy. My entire leg hurts and is hot. I've been icing but I can't ice constantly as I don't have enough ice packs. I will take another 1/2 dilaudid before bed and as well one of the flexerils. this sure is hard - been crying and wondering about this journey. but I suppose it was necessary because of my stuck kneecap. more prayers are appreciated. thanks for listening.
 
Boy your knee is really angry. You sure do have my prayers and I'm sure many others!

Just wondering, did your OS xray your knee after your MUA?
 
@sistersinhim - You know.. I don't know... I don't think so... I also wrote to my OS and told him what I'm going through and ask for any additional suggestions he might have. He most likely won't have any but I wanted him to know what was going on. Thank you @kneeper - i love that little icon.. it made me feel conforted to see it.
 
@funkymuse Hello. I actually did light heel slides that evening I had the MUA and I was in PT everyday for a week. PT wasn't too agressive because I had a lot of swelling. To answer your question specifically, yes I was able to gently do the PT exercises and some gentle bending at home.

@becticu I agree, pain didn't determine if I needed an MUA. The fact I couldn't move bend my leg from a certain point did.
 
I know you don’t like how meds make you feel, but they may help you get through this pain right now. Hat did your dr prescribe for you?
 
Hello everyone.. and nope..no word back from doctor today. I had a very hard night. But the Dilaudid and a full muscle relaxer did the trick and I kept it elevated all night and iced when it started aching. But a very hard start to falling asleep because of the pain. I had a friend call and tell me about his journey with a long term illness and staying close to God which was comforting knowing that all was going to turn out ok in the end. And for him it did.. he's a miracle walking. So he prayed and I feel I am experiencing the relief today from the hard core pain from the prayers from the BS Angels and him and several others.

This morning I took a warm epsom salt bath and used my arnicare cream and have been icing and elevating. My knee still cannot take much walking around and I just barely did 2 baby heel slides so today I'm working to get the swelling down and not aggravate it. I'm looking forward to the swelling going down more and more as the days progress so I can begin to see the flexion that I know is there waiting for me.

@banjaboy - yes... I saw you question on my thread and I am sure the MUA worked but I'm not seeing the results of it yet because of intense swelling. I feel it was a pretty intense MUA - not that others aren't but my kneecap was stuck and he bent it back to 135 which was alot. When I came out and the PT people came to my bed they could barely get me to 82 which is what I feel I went in with and then if you read back further in my thread you will see I had horrid muscle spasms and pain which just locked everything up!

Thanks so much everyone.. hope you all are having a good day. Onward I go in hope AND faith! :praying:
 
Hey All.. should I try to get up and move a little bit? My knee feels like it's getting tighter and tighter when I just lay here and elevate... i"m kind of scared about that! But it hurts to do too much... and when I walk it tends to swell more.. suggestions?!
 
Back
Top Bottom