Hi, FM. I'm really not pushing drugs, but my concern is that you will have a hard time functioning at work without something that helps you. I know others will respond about the Tramadol/Tylenol--but I wanted to say about the strong stuff that I took Norco successfully just for parts of days when I needed it and didn't suffer major side effects or trouble stopping it. For example, for a fairly long period of time after I stopped the 24-hour dosing routine, I still took it before I went to bed and sometimes refreshed it 4 hours later when I got up to use the bathroom. (I was on a moderate dose, BTW. Some others reporting here about dosage were given fully twice what I had, so I know there's a range you can work with.) It definitely helped me handle the discomfort and get some sleep but didn't affect me (that I know of

) during the day. Someone else recently mentioned using Gabapentin for nerve pain during the day but not taking it until arriving at work. That sounds responsible to me. I hope others can help you sort this out, because working in pain can be a nightmare.
One thing I learned about icing after a prolonged bout with plantar fasciitis is how useful frozen bottled water can be. I get you about not icing 24/7, but maybe you could freeze some bottled water (I liked the baby size) to hold on your knee while doing whatever, and then drink it! Two for the price of one!

For some reason, this type of moderate icing was not as big a deal to me as was strapping the ice pack on.
I also wonder if "they" make a knee wrap of some kind that has a smallish icing pad in it. I think so. My daughter played basketball for many years, and I vaguely remember something like that for when she had discomfort but had to move around and be active. Well, I just googled it, and...You might read comments about these kinds of products here, if you are interested.
broken link removed: https://www.amazon.com/slp/gel-pack-knee-brace/3vbeb9e9f2ej8sn?tag=ate362da-20
I also found that gently moving my kneecap around with my fingertips and rubbing the tendons and muscles on both sides of the kneecap seemed to help.