MUA Oct 2017 TKR - Hematoma - MUA - Finally past 90!<

I just wanted to relay my experience with a sore incision area. It was below my kneecap. My OS said the burning and stinging I was getting was most likely Patella Tendinitis. When I saw PT, she could barely touch/rub the area due to my sensitivity. those first couple of visits, she massaged the area (ending up with a deep massage and painful) and sent me home with the same instructions you had for rubbing it. She broke down some scar tissue and my stinging and burning went away. I can't help with the MUA, except you're doing right by listening to your own instinct, trust in God, and where you think you're at or want to be with ROM. I know somewhere on the site, in the library, there is instructions for measuring - and Josephine has said before that if you send her a picture, she can measure for you. Others have mentioned apps on their phones that measure, but I don't know anything about that. I ordered one of those tools on Amazon so I could kinda know.
 
It's in the Library Knee Information under ROM (Range of Motion) Other Information
 
Hi Everyone.. well tomorrow morning at 10am PST USA I will be having the MUA.

My knee feels stronger overall but still not really 90. The pain within the knee cavity and behind the knee cap when I try to bend back further hinders any further bend beyond around 82.

I am under a bit of stress because today of all days, I got an unexpected call from the human resources dept of my company telling me if I wasn't back to work Full Time by the 19th, I'd be let go. Man this really has gotten me upset. They want a letter from my doctor outlining restrictions, etc. so I guess it's really not a huge ordeal but it upset me because they informed me that my absence and part time schedule was affecting the company negatively which I had no clue about. Oh well.. onward we all go.

Thanks for any prayers and your support. @sistersinhim please make sure to change my thread title! Thank you!
 
We will change it tomorrow after your MUA, just in case for some reason you don't get it done.

Are you on company disability? I might be wrong, but I think it's against the law for them to fire you when you're out sick. If I were you, I'd check it out.
 
Yes waiting to change it makes sense.

No we don't have disability here. I think that's why they want the doctors letter. They told me they cannot carry on with a part time person and so if the doctor says only part time.. then I will be let go.
 
Hi Funkymuse I just wanted to wish you all the best for today. I have been keeping an eye on your progress as we had our tkr on the same day with such different outcomes. I hope the MUA makes a difference and your job situation gets resolved. Best wishes from the UK
 
Good luck [emoji256] today @funkymuse. I hope you have great results!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Best of luck! You've done all you could on your end, so let's see how this MUA works for you. :console2:
 
Well here's the report:

They did a femoral nerve block. The doctor then put a cortisone shot in my knee to help swelling and pain and they put me to sleep. They told me that the block could last up to three days and the cortisone would most likely last for 10 days. So I was happy about both those things.

He then bent my knee back to 135 and then they they sent me back to recovery where I was badly swollen and in horrid pain within the knee cavity and all around the knee. But I had no idea what was coming. To deal with the initial pain they had given me Dilaudid but it wasn't touching the pain so he gave me some Fentanyl which took my pain to about 3-4.

At that point PT came in and had me do heel slides several times to loosen up the muscles which were not happy about it, and measured me at 83 and also measured my extension which was the worst it had ever been at 10. So as of now any swelling is holding me back from any good improvement of flexion and it has worsened my extension at least for the time being. Then the doctor then came in and told me the major part of the problem was behind the kneecap which popped loudly when they bent me back and he agreed with my theory that the hematoma ordeal must have really frozen that kneecap in place, adding to the continual inability to move normally which affected the rest of the knee as far as the feeling of a block which included pain stopping my bend from increasing.

So then they moved me to the 2nd recovery area and that's when the nightmare started. The muscle on the outside of my thigh a couple inches above my kneecap went into such horrible spasms that it felt like someone squeezing my muscle as hard as they could and sticking a knife in it all at the same time. I was almost screaming in pain. I ask the nurse for more pain meds so she got a IV Dilaudid put in and said that's all she could do.

So when she came back in I ask her how long before it would work and she said muscle spasms are a different kind of pain then the TKR surgery and that opioids don't work as well for that. I was in such pain that she softened and gave me a Dilaudid pill. This went on and off for an hour and finally I ask her to call my OS to get a muscle relaxer on board.

I had talked to my OS about that previously and so he did indeed called in Flexerile. I have taken one and it has helped somewhat. I don't have the stabbing knife pain and it's not going into spasms anymore but it's sore like someone has repeatedly beat it with a baseball bat. As I'm writing this, the pain in my knee cavity is increasing horribly since the first round of Dilaudid is wearing off so I just took another. I hope to only take them for a couple of days. But today is a must. sigh.

So I'm home and I can tell you now, this knee is not bending or does it want to do anything. Just getting up to go to the bathroom is going to be about it for today and that is going to just kill me to do it.

The OS ask me if I had PT lined up and I said yet. I didn't tell him it was just me at home doing PT! The nurse in the recovery room told me NOT to do anything extensive on the first to days except to walk, elevate and ice which was different from what the two PT's in the room who had told me to keep it moving through the pain. And that it was going to be very hard to do that - but do it - and sit down and ice if it swells. I was glad for the nurse's advice which is more in line with the BS suggestions.

I'm envious of those who sailed through the MUA without much pain and were able to bend and walk out of the hospital and bend regardless of the swelling and pain. For me, it looks like it's going to be a waiting game of rest, elevation and ice. Also I think I'm going to definitely use heat on my thigh muscles.

I found this online and I think it's useful:
  • Remember the phrase: "heat to play, ice to stay." Use heat when activity will occur afterwards. Use ice when you will be sedentary and resting after.
  • Apply heat for 15 minutes every 4 hours until the cramp is gone. Apply a cold press every 2 hours for the first couple of days.
Thank you for all your amazing support and I hope and pray the pain and swelling begin to go down so I can walk without pain and causing it more irritation.

@sistersinhim - I guess we can change the thread title now... sigh. I was indeed hoping against hope to not do it but here I am.
 
Sorry you're having such muscle pain, but I'm glad they're giving you flexiril. Heat on the muscles can help too, as you say. I had a lot of muscle pain and spasms after my tkr--in some ways as bad or worse than the knee. I think given my limited pre-op bend and the fact that they bend your leg in the surgery, I had muscle strain. I can empathize. :console2:

Oh and I swear the hospital PTs are the worst. I had a dopey one with my first knee and then I found out she was only an assistant!
 
Last edited:
Thank you so much @kneeper - I have NEVER had such pain as this as I've truly never had my muscles strained that hard. That muscle was and is flat out angry. The nerve block does not cover that part of the thigh so the thigh muscles on top of the leg and on the inside are calm and peaceful right now. Hopefully the block will last as long as he says BUT if not the Flexerile will cover it.
 
Oh, what a nightmare you have gone through and still are. I'm so sorry this has turned out to be so painful for you. I pray that your bend comes back. But, as long as it's this swollen it won't. Ice and elevate.
 
oh, you had me gritting my own teeth reading your thread. I can't even imagine. I do hope your meds will cover the pain and spasms this evening, tonight, and may tomorrow be a much better day.
:console2:
 
Back
Top Bottom