Guest viewing is limited

THR Noxus recovery thread

9 weeks post op

It's been another good week for me if not fairly unremarkable. My weight lifting routine is getting heavier and my rehab sessions in the gym are feeling more like workouts than rehab lately so mentally it feels very good to be back to normal. I've been hitting the air bike almost daily, doing bodyweight squats and all my strengthening exercises almost daily and it seems no matter how tired I get my leg the next day I wake up with, at most, mild muscle soreness, but the kind you get from working out nothing pain related. I'm listening to my body and if it feels bad I don't do it. The strength gains in the muscles that were cut during surgery has been big this past week. I'm cane free at the house and for short outings but I'll still bring it with if I'm going longer distances as I'm not quite confident I'm done with it yet. The biggest change in the past week is the scar tissue pain is lessening every day with activity and I'm feeling more capable. I have been focusing my diet on high protein intake, almost 1g/lb of body weight which isn't as easy as you think when you weigh over 200 lol. I think that, hydration, icing well after activity and trying to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night has helped me feel so much better.

A couple milestones happened this week, firstly I cut my own toe nails haha, it wasn't as good of a bend as my no op leg and still felt myself stretching and reaching but still, best I've done in ages. Also tied the laces on my shoe without contorting myself in a painful way. Still very tight but to be expected as I'm still so fresh from surgery.

All in all, things are going well now and capability wise im already better than pre surgery, still working on everything feeling normal but I know that could still be a long away. Starting to think about things like going back to work and getting my life back to normal.
 
10 weeks post op (+1 day)

One day late on the update, had a very busy day yesterday. Participated in the town wide garage sale yesterday and thought it was a perfect opportunity to treat it "like a work day" and see how it goes. Well the results were very encouraging. I was on my feet most of the day, even helped someone load up a desk they bought, combined with wrangling my kids I was up and down out of a chair when I got to sit down at all anyways. Hip help up nicely and I didn't ever feel the need to lay down or ice and even waking up today, feels good! I went to a bbq yesterday evening my hockey team was throwing on and had a good time there as well.

Activity wise not a lot different from my last update, still doing my physio and getting stronger, walking feels very natural a lot of the time and I'm catching myself walking without focusing on my gait at times. I did a deadlift for the first time in...... I don't even know how many years the other day, it was just 65lbs total and only for a few reps but it felt fine and excited me to bring those back into my weight lifting routine down the road!

Now for the bad... When I first stopped using the cane I would occasionally get a zap pain in my knee when taking a step, it wouldn't last but it would happen frequently, less so as time went on. The other day it seems to have migrated a bit down my Shin and is in my tibialis anterior muscle. It only seems to happen during longer, sustained walking but it's very annoying and I'm going to be going my physio for it this week.

Otherwise all in all things are going good, I haven't measured but I bet my forward bend mobility is probably around 100 degrees right now which I'm thrilled about and getting out of chairs and off couches by bending at the hips like a normal person never gets old after 8 years of basically doing a pistol squat with my bed leg sticking out in front. Happy healing everyone.
 
12 weeks post op

Whoops, skipped a week in my journal. Guess it happens as you start living again and get back to life as you know it lol.

Last two weeks have been fairly unremarkable, just steady improvement with my recovery, getting stronger and more flexible every day. Squatting holding 20lb dumbbells in each hand now so hip and glute is getting much stronger! Other weight lifting is close to back to full steam as I can rack the weights now without any fear of hurting myself so upper body strength and mass is coming back too. That knee pain that was plaguing me seems to be under control with physio now, got some IT band work done and it helped immediately so been doing specific stretches and rolling routines which have made an immediate impact as well, walking more confidently and not worried about that knee twinge so much these days. Some of the muscle atrophy from my operated leg is getting less noticeable as building some muscle back.

Went and got new dress shoes two days ago, putting my leg up on the bench and tying my shoes caused me some smug satisfaction as I stood there and thought "none of these employees have any idea I had a hip replacement less than 3 months ago". Brought me some joy to do a simple task without pain.

Submitted my paperwork to my benefits to do a return to work next Saturday, one week... Feeling good about it. Modified duties for 4 weeks as of right now but I think I'll be ready to go by then. Interesting enough I read my surgical report that was attached to my forms and turns out I had a lateral approach with hardinge modification? Google doesn't seem to offer a lot of insight into exactly what that means but guess I didn't get posterior.

Thats about it, next update will be from work lord willing and unfortunately I'll have to shave my bush man beard I've been cultivating for the past 12 weeks. Happy healing everyone.
 
What a delightful update to read! :yes!:
 
13 weeks post op

Well, it's here, I went back to work today. So far it's been great and though the leg still isn't 100% it's doing well and I'm getting around and doing my modified duties okay.

Honestly nothing really to add, just more of the same. Still working on strengthening and adding weight ever so slowly to my squat. Life is just humming along and I'm grateful for the surgery. I'm still tight and a bit sore in the hip sometimes, hip flexors can still get sore at times too but overall it's awesome and the mobility is literally life changing for me. I know there's a day down the line where it will literally feel fully normal and I'll never think about it, but I'm not there yet and that's okay.

I think I'm done with the weekly updates at this time, it's gotten me through three months post op. I'll still drop in from time to time to offer updates to anyone who's followed my story. A lot of the advice given here is a must for a good recovery. Things I'm glad I did were, not pushing through pain to do ANY exercises that hurt, Lots and lots of time spent icing, using my walking aids as long as I did, and simply setting my expectations and realizing how slow this recovery really is and taking it step by step.

Mentally it was very hard in the early going and though it was laid out pretty plainly by the admin here, it still hit me much harder than I ever thought it would.

Anyways that's the update and I wish you all the best and good luck with your healing, though I didn't comment much the hours I spent lurking both pre and post surgery gave me lots to digest and helped me through my situation. Happy healing everyone
 
6 months post op (!!!)

Wow, time flies, I've officially been back to work as long as I was off. Life is going great for me and has all but returned to normal, except I can tie my shoes and cut my toe nails like a normal person. I routinely get around the house or walking around and don't even think about it for stretches of time, still have that mental muscle memory to approach anything with how the hip moves first, maybe that'll go away maybe it won't.

As far as the hip is concerned I still have weakness in the hip joint, though I can so lunges and whatever else with some effort, I think that'll still come back with time, just still working at it. Still get some hip flexor pain periodically but it's not even worth a limp, just take it easy for a bit and it goes away. My workout program is going fantastic, most of my major lifts are higher than they've been in YEARS. I deadlifted 225 the other day which was a big test for the hip and it passed with flying colors. The only exercise I'm still not pushing too hard is the back squat, sticking around 120 lbs for now, but the novelty of doing an butt to grass goblet squat will probably never go away haha.

The only activity I haven't tried yet is skating, which I fully intend to slowly get back into this winter, I anticipate the skating motion will aggravate the soft tissue and scar tissue so not planning on playing any actual hockey unless its going swimmingly, not worth the risk. Work has been good, I've stomped around fully packed up on calls in over 60lbs of gear with zero issue, just haven't had an actual fire yet... We have live fire trainijg day in a few weeks so that will be like fighting 4 structure fires in one day, that's the big test coming up!

Other than that, life is good, kids are busy but the hip is rock steady and hopefully will be for a few more decades. Happy healing everyone.
 
Thank you for checking in - you're having a great recovery and being prudent in your advances!
 
Great update, @Noxus! You are doing quite well for six months out.

Isn't it wonderful when you can "forget" you had the hip replaced as you go about your normal daily activities? That was a big milestone for me.

Wishing you continued healing. Please come back and update us about your recovery from time to time. Your success will give comfort and inspiration to others.
 
There was nothing worse to me when trying to read recovery threads pre surgery than when people just phantomed after a few months of updates. I knew when I started I would keep it going for a long time. Even if nobody reads it really, it's good to keep it for myself even.

I feel like I've had a very linear progression that was only hindered by my own expectations. Looking back it went smoothly from day 1 more or less and I'm in a great spot already at only 6 months.

@benne68 the forgetting is the best part, looking forward to forgetting a lot more often and during a lot more activities
 
Even if nobody reads it really, it's good to keep it for myself even.
Agree! When it came time for my second TKR, I found it really helpful to have a journal of my fist TKR recovery here on BoneSmart! (Not that I'm wishing you a second THR!!!! :wink: )

We will look forward to future updates!
 
You're the second person to suggest that. First game of golf with the new hip 3 weeks ago started par, birdie, par. My friends asked if I got servos installed lol.
We don't need to discuss how the rest of the round went
 
That made me laugh!

I am thinking of taking up golf and booking a trial
Lesson.

Glad to hear you are doing well.
 
8 months post op (almost)

Been thinking about you guys lately and feel like dropping in for an update since it's been a few months.

First things first, that live fire day I had beginning of October. The hip was perfectly fine and it was some of the most strenuous work imaginable, throwing ladders, dragging fully charged hose lines around, hauling hundreds of feet of hose up 5 stories on your shoulder all while wearing 60 lbs of gear and on air, which is a unique experience breathing from a regulator while working out at maximal effort. Well I had no pain and went through all the runs no problem, even finished the day and was driving home saying "wow I can't believe how good it feels!" The next morning reality set in and it was extremely sore. Nothing structural wise but the hip flexors were very inflamed. That all lasted for about a week, gradually improving and then it was back to normal. Probably my first foray into the ODIC, though I didn't really have a choice about it. Oh well it all turned out good.

Other notes, still weightlifting and currently 2/3 of my major lifts are the highest they've been since my mid twenties and for pushing 40 that is not half bad! Squats I'm still cautious with and very slowly working my way up but bench and deadlift it's go time.

I went for a skate the other day and I had zero pain and enjoyed the new mobility greatly, but the single leg strength on that side involved in cutting and trying to perform maneuvers at higher speeds just wasn't there. It'll take some time still. I did a little jogging on the treadmill at work the other day, short, slow sessions but it really helped with that single leg loading and will hopefully address that imbalance over time. Not so confident I'll get into a game this season but that's pretty low on my pressing concerns list.

Most of the time moving around I don't even think about the new hip which is nice, but I still feel grateful every time I bend over to tie my shoe, or get up out of a chair normally while holding my sleeping son, and I truly don't think that will ever to away. My surgeon gave me my life back, that is not an exaggeration in any way. Even my other hip has felt better since I've recovered and I don't forsee doing my other hip for hopefully some time. Probably helps that I do things with both legs now instead of just one.

The only change that seems permanent that is arguably bad is that I now don't think I'll ever NOT have a pair of sketchers step in shoes. They are incredibly convenient for just running to the store or going to work! I get razzed for my "shoe horn" shoes but they're amazing. A feat of engineering.

Thats enough for now. Happy healing to those who are going through it, take it slow and you'll get there.
 
@Noxus Thanks for the great update! Sounds like you’re doing great! It’s interesting to most of us that our hips talk to us the day AFTER our big activity. We just start asking those soft tissues to perform like normal again. I think that’s why we keep seeing improvements well into the year after and beyond. When my hip complains, I just give it a little ice and rest and all is well again.

I laughed about your shoes. I’m right there with you. Even though I don’t have that particular shoe, I have converted all my lace shoes to elastic laces. I keep my long handled shoe horn near my shoes and voila! They’re all basically slip on shoes. It also keeps this gal from tripping over her laces in her normal klutz mode. Lol.

I still, five years later, have no diminished gratitude for my surgeon and his team for also giving me back my life. It is truly miraculous what they can do to improve people’s quality of life. Blessings going forward. Stay safe.
 
@Noxus this is so GREAT!! Thank you for sharing. I went back & read a few of your posts & just thank you!! I love seeing how much you progressed. I’m still recovering-but I’m 13 weeks posterior THR-idk what you had done but still!! I went back to gym last week & am hoping to get stronger each time I go. So this is very encouraging to me. ♥️
 
1 year post op (in 2 days)

Well I'm sitting here trying to rest after struggling to climb the stairs.... Because I had such an intense legs workout yesterday. Being able to do heavy barbell squats and lunges until I felt legitimately nauseated is something that won't appeal to everyone, but it's something I had forgotten about and love.

I have returned to playing hockey and am utilizing my newfound mobility to skate faster than I have in so many years. I still wear extra padding under my pants and will still steer clear of going into the corners hard for the puck, just nervous about impact, but I'm playing the game fully.

I feel amazing, and the surgery was the best decision I've ever made. I've found my body mechanics have been improving through regular movements as well as my new mobility allows it and my mind forgets the crappy mechanics I had used for so many years to compensate. In turn my knees feel better, my back feels better and overall I'm in the best shape since my early twenties when my hip problems really started.

With all that added, while I do feel 100% fine a good amount of time, I do still get some aches or pains primarily in my hip flexor region. It's very mild and doesn't even slow me down but at this point that's likely permanent, but a trade I'll make any day of the week.

Only other note is next week my youngest son has an Appt with the Ortho doc to see if the brace he's been wearing has fixed his diagnosed hip dysplasia. If not then it's surgery time. Something I'm dreading but if it fixes it and keeps him from endind up like his old man, we'll all get through it together.

Thats my one year update. Hope my journey has helped anyone reading it. Happy healing.
 
Thanks for the update @Noxus It is wonderful to hear you are doing well and have been able to get back to playing hockey! Such updates are very much appreciated and go a long way to reassuring new comers that they, too, can heal and return to their favorite activities :yes!:

I sincerely hope your son's problems have been fixed with the brace but if he needs hip surgery we have seen folks here as young as teenagers getting hip replacements and they have all done very well.

Happy healing, indeed!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom