TKR Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Margaret. I know it's difficult to be patient when you are ready to be all done with this recovery thing, but I believe you will see some progress with your quads if you give yourself some more time. Not everyone heals the same and it's possible that it's just going to take your muscles a bit longer to regain normal functioning.

It's important that you continue with the gentle stretches and bends, though. You want to work your muscles a bit each day.
 
I have my surgery report, which physio asked me to get. It says: "With the patient in the supine position a high thigh torniquet applied the old medial menisectomy scar was excised and a medial skin and medial parapatellar approach was made to the knee." From reading an library article of Jospehine's "different kinds of knee replacements surgeries" - does this mean no quads snip?
Probably. Usually they will note it if it is done and since you didn't see such a comment then I would say not.

This (the blue line) is a parapatellar incision - the usual exposure for a TKR

[Bonesmart.org] Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage
 
Thanks Jamie and Josephine (any my physio). You've all helped to put my mind at rest that things are ok. I have my new/amended exercises from yesterday, and this morning I found my squats (leaning on the car on one side and laundry tub on the other) were easier to do and knee felt more stable. So hopefully onwards an upwards............
 
Josephine,

Just wanted to say thanks for the drawing, it has given me the answer I have been looking for for months. Why I still have soreness sensitivity to the outside of the knee but none at the incision line. Well this explains that the inner incision is more to the ootside than the outer and that is where I am still sore.

So Thanks again.
 
Hi Rose, I think the "medial parapatellar division" is to the inside of the knee, not the outside. So it might not be your answer?
 
My ligament or muscle or whatever it is running from inside of my knee up the back/side of my thigh is sore. And has a couple of knots. This has been going on for nearly a week now. Physio has massaged it, which helped for a couple of days but has progressively tightened up again.
I am at 12 weeks post-op. I had the same problems with hamstrings and the tendon going into the backside as well as calf pain. I refrained from all the tendon stretches for three weeks and things improved a lot. You don't necessarily have to do whatever your PT says. There is plenty of time to work these areas with future GENTLE stretches. Now I am doing just a little tendon stretch and still maintaining good extension. So slow down and give it time, lots of gentle time.
Vicki
 
You are correct, Margaret. This is a right knee and here are the aspects of it

[Bonesmart.org] Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage
 
I am at 12 weeks post-op. I had the same problems with hamstrings and the tendon going into the backside as well as calf pain. I refrained from all the tendon stretches for three weeks and things improved a lot. You don't necessarily have to do whatever your PT says. There is plenty of time to work these areas with future GENTLE stretches. Now I am doing just a little tendon stretch and still maintaining good extension. So slow down and give it time, lots of gentle time. Vicki
absolutely spot on, Vicki! Very often rest is the cure which is counterproductive to the PT's income! :snork:
 
Thanks Vicki. The quote you picked up is 3 weeks old and all that stuff has resolved itself. I backed off a couple of the exercises and had physio massages. I'm now at 8 weeks and measurements are good, except quad lag which now I'm doing new exercises since last Thursday is coming along in leaps and bounds (well in my opinion it is - will be interesting to see what my physio says next Tuesday and surgeon next Thursday).
 
A few minutes ago I managed one step up with my TKR knee. Not a big step but nevertheless a step and holding onto the doorframe. Only a little step but means so much to me.
 
Thanks Deeden. That's what I'm hoping. I read other's threads that they are climbing stairs normally at 4 weeks and here I am 8 weeks and couldn't. Inner range quads asleep has been my trouble, but new exercises since last Thursday seem to be slooooowly waking them up.
 
campervan, I have found that letting the body tell me what to do works best but I still have trouble listening to it. I can't remember how long it took me to climb stairs but I do still know some days i use them and sometimes i don't. It depends on how many because I have a habit of overdoing so I have to be careful. Please take care. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:flowerysmile:
 
That's a GREAT report, Margaret. You are on your way now. Just relax.....your body will get there when it is ready and pretty soon you will be doing those stairs.
 
I agree Margaret, the stairs are a big milestone in your recovery, so give yourself a bit cheer when you do eventually get all the way up. :yahoo:

Coming down is more challenging, but just know you will do it given time and patience.

Take care Margaret, looking forward to that big cheer!! :thumb:
 
Congratulations! That step, while seemingly very little---a a great big one! these are great victories on winning the battle in reclaiming our lives!

That is great news, indeed!
 
Had physio today for final time before seeing surgeon on Thursday. Flex stuck at 100 but good news extension at 0 but darn oh darn the quad lag is still 30 degrees. I had thought it was getting better with the new exercises, but nope!

I'm trying to stay positive, irrespective of the lack of progress in some areas. Not sleeping well again either, woke on the hour all night for the last two nights. Rollercoaster recovery is a perfect term to describe all this.

Now I wait for Thursday to see what my surgeon says.
 
Good luck for Thursday Margaret, hope all the news is good news! :friends:
 
Well here's another poser for you all. Given the pain sometimes when I move my knee (around the top of the kneecap) and the quad lag, During the night if I wake with my knee bent, its quite painful to straighten. Yesterday the physio taped the top of my knee and last night there was very little pain to straighten the knee. So what has the tape done to improve things?
 
I don't know but that happens to me as well. If you figure it out let me know and I will have my PT do the same thing. I did have a better workout with my PT today and managed to get up and down off the low table without using my arms. BIG STEP!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom