TKR Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, sorry about that. I did try to remove the original post but then Roy replied to that post and yours in his post so it wasn't possible. Then I really needed to add something to Celle as well so made the derailment worse. Sorry about that!.

Sorry if my post seemed off topic - I was trying to reassure Margaret (Campervan) that some residual bruising was a normal part of what is a slow recovery process - and then when someone replied to me, I tried to point them to my own thread about my recovery.

Apologies all round!
 
Oh I wasn't trying to apportion blame, folks - just explaining that sometimes threads do wander off the track from time to time.

And now we've gone and done it again! :th_heehee:
 
Hi everybody,

Physio yesterday (drove myself there) was good news and bad news. ROM is 105 assisted and 102 unassisted. So thats the good news, even though it hasn't moved much since last physio 10 days before.

Problem is quad lag. My inner range quads haven't switched on yet and physio is concerned about it. She tried shocking them with electrodes, but didn't work. So I go back next Tuesday and we'll be working on some exercises in the gym.

Also my walking isn't as good as it should be. Most steps are ok but some have something weird going on where I drop my right shoulder for some reason. So having to work on that too.

But she did say overall for 6 weeks I'm doing well. So not all bad and I'll try not to let it depress me too much as I know we'll be working on it together.

Thanks to everybody for great support.
 
Give yourself a pat on the back Margaret, you are doing extremely well for the time since your TKR, and you can only move forward from here on in. Well done, and don't worry about the little things that will come right in time, you have to learn PATIENCE, its the biggest problem, but one we do all learn in the end.:thumb:
 
Hadn't realised my tight rubber bands had gone away, until today when they came back!! GRRRRRRR.....
 
Hadn't realised my tight rubber bands had gone away, until today when they came back!! GRRRRRRR.....

I can commiserate with you! When I was going through recovery, some times my knees would feel great, and I would think, "I am really making progress now and those days are behind me!" Then, the stiffness would come back, and , if I was not careful, frustration would set in.

It is important to realize tht this recovery is not of the linear type; there will be good days, and, for whatever reason, there will be some regression at times, too.

the fact that the rubber bands have d left you is a great sign---they will leave yo again. Hang in there, and keep on keepin' on.
 
Thanks Tim. Its great having somewhere to vent frustrations and to people who understand.
 
Actually, funny you should say that - mine has come back as well these past few days.
 
Wow Josephine, and your surgery was almost 3 years ago! Is it all related to the swelling and skin being tight?
 
Swelling is certainly a big part of the tight band feeling. Mine has disappeared recently, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it again.
 
Just walked 1 km. Took 20 minutes. Did it with both crutches but used them like hiking poles which my physio said I could do. Rubber bands didn't seem to affect my walking.
 
Well done Margaret. I think you will find that walking etc. is not affected by the rubber band syndrome at all, in fact I didn't notice it when I was up and about, only when I sat down and stopped!!

That rubber band feeling does go eventually, and although I am now 16 months out from my op, I still have a little tightness on the outside and upper part of my knee. Its really not a problem and does not stop me doing anything, and I now class it as an occupational hazard, probably when I do to much, and I know there is possibly still inner tissue healing going on as my knee is also hot sometimes. I have every confidence that eventually it will go of its own accord, just have to be more patient and wait! Its also winter here in the UK, so thermal underwear is the order of the day - it certainly helps keep that knee warm!!

Keep up the good work, you are doing fantastically well. :friends:
 
Help please. My knee is giving way occasionally. Darn! At physio today I was up on a step and lowered good leg down to try to go down step normal way, but TKR knee decided to give way. I think its the quads giving way. Anybody got any idea why? Ta muchly
 
Margaret, try not to worry about all of this, including the "giving way." You are still very early in recovery. Some folks have a slower time of it than others. You have said your quads were lagging, so that could certainly contribute to what happened today. Just keep doing gentle exercises....don't PUSH too hard. Remember, you can't speed up recovery with exercise....quite the opposite, actually.

Also, if you aren't using a cane or crutch, I would do that. It offers a bit of extra support for you right now. Once you are stronger and walking with a good gait, you can and will leave it behind.
 
Thanks Jamie. I get around the house without any crutches, but as soon as I go out I do use them. When I practice walking I use both of them. Should I go back to using one around the house?
 
You would only need to use a crutch or can around the house if you find yourself limping. It could be you'd do fine in the morning and then need it later in the day if you're tired. The key factor is your gait. As long as there is a limp, you should use an aid to provide additional support so you can walk correctly.
 
7 weeks post TKR today and ticked off another milestone - went to the supermarket. I used the trolley as a walker!

Tomorrow afternoon I'm planning to go to work for 2 hours. I've been managing to work at home for up to 1.5 hours a couple of times a day. I'll get dropped off at the door and picked up a couple of hours later. Part of the time I'm there I'll be in a meeting in an office where theres a couch so I'll be able to put my leg up. Wish me luck!
 
Good luck Margaret, you really are getting back into the swing of things, long may it continue. Just take care. x :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom