OP
Mazza

Mazza

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
DAY 24
So pleased to report that I started driving again two days ago :egypdance:
On that note I must emphasise that my Smart car has loads of leg room when the door is open and the seat set back. Also, it is semi automatic - not requiring the use of my left leg at all.
Being able to drive locally has resulted in my being able to walk around the shopping centre and even do some retail therapy :spin:

My Mum is in a nearby Care Home and I've been free to visit her without relying on my husband to take me. All these progressions are lifting pressure from his shoulders and we both feel unburdened from the demands of my TKR :loveshwr:

Looking back, this recovery journey has been SO much easier as we were armed with memories of the RTKR, knowing that the outcome would take time for healing and be worth the efforts. Previously it was almost impossible to peer through the fog of pain, swelling and frustration to have a chance to see the sun shine again.
:yes!::flwrysmile:
I might have pushed myself a little harder this time too, rather than sit and mope and cry as last time (well on occasions :bawl:). That hasn't done me any harm, just getting on with things when I've felt able and RICING when I've known it necessary. Within days I was tottering around my garden, dead heading blooms, pulling out weeds that had the ordacity to believe I had disappeared for good :loll: and giving the deputy gardener instructions on anything that needed to be done in between all his other duties :giggle:
Life is feeling almost normal but there is a long way to go before I am rid of the present discomfort reminders from my LTKR. All of those I can accept and cope with unlike last time when I couldn't believe I would regain the use of a leg that wouldn't be forever unkind to me :heehee::loll:

My other conquest is The Stairs! Not exactly like climbing Everest, but equally thrilling to discover that I am able (since 3 days ago) to walk up using alternate steps (? normal :scratch::shrug:). This came about by chance when my brain wasn't totally in gear about using one step for both feet! Don't as about walking down in the same way just yet!! :bignono:
Everything takes time :curtsey:

So that's my "blog" for this week and I'm thankful to be able to report on two major accomplishments along my recovery journey. Definitely a milestone :wowspring:even if I say it myself :yes!::yay:

Have posted this week's badge of honour too

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
You're doing really well. :yes!::):yay: Being able to do the stairs is a great achievement.
I'm very pleased to hear it.

You're right that having a previous TKR does prepare you to a certain extent.

On a side issue (and completely off topic), I remember talking to you about my daughter and her husband being made Special Guardians for a little girl. To everyone's great joy, they were granted an Adoption Order for her, back in March. She's so settled and happy, and such a sweet child.

uva55

post-grad
Country
United States United States
@Mazza what a great progress report, your accomplishments are great ones, wow and you are only 10 days ahead of me, you give something to look forward to.

Thank you for sharing.

Suz

graduate
Country
I loved all of her emoticons-!! Happy for you @Mazza!

And @Celle, that is wonderful that your daughter, son-in-law & family were given such a special blessing!

OP
OP
Mazza

Mazza

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
:sleep::yawn::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::yawn:Thank you @Suz @sistersinhim @uva55 and @Celle. I do get a bit carried away with my Threads but it just comes out that way when I feel I'm confiding in friends.
@Celle i do recollect the subject of your family acting as guardians. What fantastic news that they have been able to adopt her. You must be elated and feel blessed by that fact.

Today I went with my husband (Simon is his name) to visit his two grandchildren. They are just 3 and 9 months. I dropped him at his Barbershop rehearsal and then managed the 30 minute drive home on my own. Now tired and resting my leg in bed :sleep::yawn:

uva55

post-grad
Country
@Mazza how long after your right TKR did you start driving? My OS told me 6 weeks.

OP
OP
Mazza

Mazza

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
@uva55 I can't remember offhand but it was nothing as early as with this LTKR. We had an automatic car then but the difference would have been in relying on my right foot and leg to work the brake and accelerator not only comfortably but definitely SAFELY.

Yesterday I overdid things walking as well as gardening. Last night I paid the price with one of the most painful episodes since coming home. As we always say on here, "If the knee is revolting then pay heed and slow down!"

Only 4 week post op and trying to run too soon :eeeuw:

Dawni

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
@Mazza we are are owen wors enamy hope you are ok today. I am having a rest day today as my husband is taking me to see guy's and dolls

LTKR 11 May 2016

chestnc

big-cheese
Country
Hi @Mazza, so glad we have reunited again and to hear that you are doing so well. So happy to see. Keep up the good work. And it is work trying to heal oneself. Keep on keepin' on. That happy cheerful outlook is keeping you going. :thumb: :loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Yesterday I overdid things walking as well as gardening. Last night I paid the price with one of the most painful episodes since coming home.
One visit to the ODIC is probably all right, but beware of doing it too often. You're doing so well and it would be a shame to spoil it now.
"Listen to the knee."

OP
OP
Mazza

Mazza

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
SIX WEEKS POST OP REPORT

I had actually lost count of time, thinking it was 7 weeks since the LTKR, but laying here awake early this morning, it "dawned" on me :idea: that it's my Knee's 6th week birthday today :wowspring:

To celebrate the event, I crept out of the bedroom while my Carer/Iceman was still slumbering (or so I thought!) and went downstairs to make tea for both of us. Well, what a surprise I got when I (not intentionally) walked down the entire flight like a "normal" person for the first time in MONTHS! I was shocked and almost scared to take each step, wondering if the next one would bring a jolt of lightening pain down my left leg, but everything was fine. No more walking down one step at a time or sideways crab fashion as pre-op days! :wow:

The tea was brewed and I tentatively carried the two mugs back upstairs on a tray without using the handrail either. I had discovered that I could walk upstairs without the handrail about a week ago, with a spring in my step! :thumb:

My triumphant feat was was slightly quashed when met with a mere "Thanks" from my Carer, but then I declared that not only was this the first cuppas I'd been able to fetch in weeks, but I could now miraculously walk again :tada:
Having blown my trumpet meant that he realised how pleased I was with the progress, then it entered my mind that this could spell the reduction of care I might receive from now on :xmark:

So now I am left wondering whether this means being reassigned to normal duties although there are few of those I haven't already resumed :angel:. Perhaps I might need to feign a few relapses along the way? :heehee:

At six weeks there's not much I can't do, but having said that, yesterday was a definite rest day following a couple of ODIC membership cards :tiredwheel:

Throughout my recovery, I've followed the BS mantra of RICE and particularly not pushed myself with the PT exercises; if I've felt comfortable with them then fine, otherwise I've done only as much as I can and not felt in the least bit guilty as last time. Even now I vividly recall expecting myself to have regained full extensions and bends after my first week at home. Desperation set in and that's how I found Bonesmarties ..
The rest is history
:cheers:

Dawni

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
@Mazza that's amazing I did the same at about that time like you quite by accident but mine was up not down, when I tryed down I had forgotten how to do it at first it had been that long, I was literally crying with joy and text every one they must have thought I was mad. Like you can do most things now I had to work out how many weeks I was supose that means we are getting back to normal life when we stop counting the weeks

LTKR 11 May 2016

Tabbycat

post-grad
Country
@Mazza
That's a wonderful report for only six weeks out, you are fortunate to be having such a successful recovery. Don't forget to pace yourself though, there's still lots of healing going on.
I'm really pleased for you.
Tabby xxx

OP
OP
Mazza

Mazza

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
SEVEN WEEK POST OP REPORT
Well, back to see my OS today :angel: - kneedless to say, his first words were, "Well just look at you! Don't you look well and you are moving so naturally." I was so pleased to know that he was as pleased with my progress as I am. I am now walking up and down flights of stairs with no trouble at all (yes, it feels like I'm wearing a bandage around my knee, but that's all) and having no problems with pain to the point that I've stopped taking pain meds.
:good-bad:
All I have to do now is continue as I am and keep things moving. I have a physio appointment lined up for the end of this month, which should be the start of a PT schedule over 6 weeks, but I doubt that I'll see that through, especially as I'm going away on holidays.

I was able to tell my OS that I had spoken with someone who was prompted to see me as they are in need of both TKR's but very nervous. I had recommended her to approach my OS and ironically he remembered enough of her conversation with him JUST AN HOUR PREVIOUSLY to realize that she was talking about ME! She had told him that I had "given her the inspiration to go through with the surgery". He was quite flattered and we were both gobsmacked to think that she'd actually got an appointment with him this same day. So it looks as if I've been able to help somebody close to home as well as on BS.

Of course, I had given her the BS contact details, so hopefully she will become a member too. I will keep a lookt out as well as make a note of her name next time I see her.:reading:
:sneaker:

Majella

Country
Mazza, You are doing amazingly well for 6 weeks out ! cheers to you :cheers:
I had my Rt. TKR 3 months ago and will be having the Lt. one done this Sept.
You are an inspiration :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
Mazza

Mazza

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
@Majella Thank you for your kind words. You're something of an inspiration to others yourself considering the time frame between your TKR's! I'm pleased I was able to take a break between my surgeries, although that was interrupted by foot surgery last year too. What I thought would be quite minor in comparison left me in plaster to the knee for 6 weeks followed by another 6 in a boot! I couldn't weight bear in plaster either so had to sleep downstairs :bignono:

Enough talk of that memory :censored:

I'm obviously still uncomfortable with the knee and it presents minor issues but I really can't complain. My OS was delighted. He's such a nice man that I actually said I was sad that I had run out of legs to have an excuse to see him like this :heehee: He was tickled by that but reminded me that he would see me at one year post op than he expected these knees to last the rest of my life. I was so fortunate to have been referred to him from the beginning of my journey.

Inspiring and supporting others is now what I hope to be able to do, whether BS members or others I meet in the community. :chuckmarch::happyfeet::froggies:

OP
OP
Mazza

Mazza

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
So - 12 WEEK Report. I've been getting on with life in general, including time away in our motor home which entailed fairly long trips between stops. I found that as long as I was able to have pit stops about every two hours I was OK, but more than that and I would get quite uncomfortable. Having said that, I would probably be the same even if I wasn't recovering from major surgery. :heehee:

Sometimes I have to remind myself and I think it's due to the fact that I sometimes forget just how short a time it is since 3rd June. I have found myself making reference to my RTKR thread to assure myself that things are improving at about the same rate. Sure enough, when I checked back to compare this stage, I am at that same level. I'm frustrated at not being able to bend my knee fully without pain. It was at this same stage that I was starting to make use of the recumbent bike. This was reassuring to know. :biking:

On a lighter note, we are off to cruise The Douro in Portugal in a couple of days. That will be a real pleasure I'm sure and no TKR is going to hold me back from the excursions included.

Shortly after that I fly to Chicago with a girlfriend, travelling by Amtrak down to Memphis (Gracelands here we come) than to New Orleans with time for a steam boat jazz cruise, before finally joining our cruise liner to go around the Caribbean for a week :kayak:

Ain't no stopping me now!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
RAS54
Recent bookmarks