Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Threads Couldn't help smiling from ear to ear when I read of all you are doing lately. The Symposium sounds a great deal of work and fun and you did it all! I am so thrilled with everything you are getting up to and that your life is now "normal" again. What a lucky set of people we are to be able to benefit from all this technology and skill! And fortunate for all the support we have had from each other and the lovely people who take part on this site.

I walked nearly 5 miles with my walking group this week plus a couple of other short walks and persuaded myself that now summer is nearly over that I better get back to the gym so went today and it was fine - knee is stronger than ever. Whoop Whoop!!!!!!!!

Enormous congratulatory hug winging its way over the Pole to you and keep those photos coming too

Mary x
 
@SuperSnapper - you are so right! I was looking back at my journey thread last night and realizing, once again, how many people helped me get to where I am today. The knowledgeable forum advisors and moderators on this site, were always ready with advice and the Bonesmarties themselves, there with a supportive hand out as I reached another hurdle in the road. Three people in my journey were there consistently. @ljrfrm with her positive but attentive "ear" as I reached the highs and lows of the journey she was very familiar with, having gone this particular road before me, she was always there, always supportive. @SuperSnapper whose bright voice reached me with a "hug across the pole" and cheered me on with the future possibilities using our renewed mobility to follow a passion in photography we both share. And, @fiberlady who would tell me about all of the amazing things she was up to, inspite of the physical challenges she was dealing with, an inspiration to get my hands back into the textile world we both are addicted to.

I'll probably repeat myself when I reach my one year mark but I did want to say how lucky I was to find BoneSmart. When I was told I was having a BTKR, I was stunned. I needed to talk to someone who had gone through this recovery before, but there was no one I knew or could find in my city, that could answer the millions of questions I had. I stumbled on BoneSmart and you all became my "family", there when I needed you. Hopefully, I was able to help others along the way as well.

I don't come here often anymore - my life is busy doing the things I only dreamed of a year ago. I'm getting ready for a 5 day creative journaling workshop I'm taking this week and the framework of our trip to Europe is in place for next spring. Life is good!!
 
I'm so happy for you and how well you have recovered. I'm glad I could play a small part in your recovery (very small). It's great to read such a positive update! :)
 
I don't know if I was very much help, however, you were an inspiration to me and helped me along the way. It has been a bumpy journey and I am grateful that you were there to help me through it. It has been such a pleasure to talk to someone about our craft and how to manage it while going through our knee replacements.

I will be thinking of you journaling as I weave crimp cloth.

We would not have crossed paths if not for bonesmart.
 
@Threads. It's been a pleasure getting to know you and thank you for all your support on this journey. I'm so very happy about your recovery. You helped to keep me cheerful too.

Good luck with your workshop this week.

Extra special hug for a dear friend Polar bound x
 
0ne year ago now I was in the recovery room. I just don't know where the time has gone!

Life with my new knees is amazing, I rarely think of them unless I bump into something on the outside of my knees. Then I realize that there is still numbness there, but it certainly doesn't bother me. I do have to remind myself that I still have some old pre-op habits that seem to hang on, but I waited for my knee replacements for several years (my choice). I can walk good distances, stand for long periods and do all sorts of things I wouldn't have dreamt of doing a year + a day ago.

If you are reading this and wondering if it's worth it, from my point of view, there is no doubt.
 
Hello again, Sandra. How lovely to hear from you!
How quickly that year has passed - although I'm sure the first few months dragged for you.

It's great to hear that your knees are doing so well and giving you the life that you wanted. :yes!::happydance::yay::flwrysmile:
 
wow one year already. So glad to hear that the knees are doing what they are supposed to do. My right knee is at that point, I don't even think about it anymore. That one is over two years old. The left is still not 100%, but I can walk and move now once the hip gets fixed I will hopefully be walking better. You have been such an inspiration.
 
Thanks @Celle! The first few months were a challenge but you so quickly move on from that place. I would have to go back to the beginning of my thread to remind myself what it was like. This may sound silly, but as a mother of 3 grown men, I liken it to childbirth - very difficult when you are going through the tough part but the rewards are oh, so worth it that you forget about the pain and sleepless nights. :yes:

Thanks for being there for me.
 
@fiberlady - your challenge was different than mine. I was able to get everything done at the same time, so my road to recovery was a straight one. You've always blown me away by what you accomplish on top of your challenges - postponed surgery, hip acting up during the recovery of your last knee surgery, etc. I look forward to hearing that you are on the other side after November 23rd and I'll be by your side, even though we are thousands of miles apart.
 
I'm thrilled to read about your anniversary today. I'm so happy that you've had a good solid recovery.

I'm seeing the doctor about replacing my other knee in 2016. The first few months are indeed awful, but it does get better. Like my right knee, my left was was totally fine one day, and horrible the next.

Congratulations!
 
hope all is going well for you. I just hit my five week mark today. Things were much better than I anticipated at the outset and now I'm in the unpleasant plateau of realizing no matter how great my recovery has been going, I am not back to normal, not even close, and there's nothing I can really do to make it go faster.

But, @Threads, I really hope your recovery is as pain-free as mine has been, and your freedom from inability to sleep is also like mine. Following the BoneSmart mantra is totally the way to go and don't let any PTs or any uninformed people push you or guilt you along. Best of luck!!
 
@Scheherazade - I hope your recovery is as good as mine has been. I'm a year out today and my life has returned to normal. My comments were basically about the worst part of my journey which I really can't remember anymore, the journey itself had such an amazing outcome. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer. I'll check out your thread. It seems that you have come to terms that it is a journey - not a quick trip :yes:
 
@Threads I have been very lucky that I found this site two years ago. I appreciate all the support you have given me both in the bone department and the fiber department. You still totally amaze me with your beautiful photography and your weaving, and the ability to have both knees done at the same time. Thank you for the support.
 
@Threads Happy Anniversary to your new knees! Haven't we come a long way to get to this point? I am so happy for you and hope your knees give satisfaction for many, many years.

Just think of all those wonderful photographs in store for you especially on your European trip next year. When do you start on that? I will be looking forward to hearing all about your adventures.

Thanks so much for all your support in my journey. Like you I have a problem remembering the tricky and painful bits but it was certainly all worth it. But I do still get the odd feeling when my knee touches something and it's still numb but hey! A small price to pay really.

Big hug winging its way to you avoiding the North Atlantic storms of course! xxx
 
@fiberlady - thank you for your kind words. I don't pop in here often anymore, but when I do I see that others are cheering each other on, the way we did. BoneSmart is such a good place to get and give support and make friends who understand your journey.

Counting down time for you and getting really close. You don't have to worry about a cold postponing this one - I've taken that hit for you ;-) Four more sleeps!
 
Hi @SuperSnapper! Doug shared his cold so I've had a energy low week even though I've been out everyday. The weather hasn't been weather friendly lately - we're into normal rain coast weather. It's nice to see snow building up on the mountains - we had very little last year. I've decided not to take a camera along on my walks because then I get distracted and don't get and keep a good pace going! My knees are numb on the outside as well but I understand that is one of the last areas to heal.

Keep your photos coming, I love seeing them! Maybe you don't get the amount of winter rain that we do, which gives you more opportunity to photograph in nice weather.

We are gone for the month of May next year and are having fun doing the research and making plans. The anticipation and planning is almost as much fun as the actual journey!

Take care of yourself and thank you for all the support including hugs and jars of marmalade sent via the Polar Route. We've worn out our own special jet stream over the North Pole :yes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom