Not Emotionally ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Royal1383 -- Yes, I was cleared to drive after 2 weeks, for 2 reasons: 1) I only drive when it's been at least 6 hours since my last pain pill (in my case, Percocet) so that my reflexes and cognition are fully functional and 2) my hip replacement was on the left side. My right side is unimpaired, so moving back and forth on the pedal causes me no pain or difficulty.

I am still using a cane, which is fine with me. I move carefully...really carefully...with every step because I know my balance is a bit off. But I am able to get in and out of our bathtub-shower without assistance now and can walk anywhere I feel up to walking.

On my first THR, I had a ton of swelling and bruising. I had an arrogant person of a surgeon who (apparently) did not treat my limbs carefully during the surgery. I woke up feeling like I'd been in a car accident--I hurt all over. But that surgery also took 4 hours--never got an adequate answer as to why.

This time, I knew better than to go to a surgeon whose personality I did not like. Not only did I like him, but his staff raved about working with him--and as a nurse I can tell you, we only rave about the ones who take great care of their patients! THAT'S what wins us over! :-) And true to form, this surgeon took very good care of my unconscious body, because I have almost no bruising and very little swelling this time.

Almost everyone has a spinal for this procedure these days. It speeds up the post-op recovery time dramatically. And in both surgeries, I have no recollection of anything after I got into the OR. I'm on the gurney seeing everyone suit up, and the very next moment...my daughter is feeding my ice chips in post-op. Never felt the spinal being done because I was already "out," probably from versed or its equivalent.

I am now 15 days post-op and am experiencing a lot of fatigue, which is normal and expected. Yesterday, I slept 4 hours in the middle of the day! And I slept from midnight until 9am this morning. It's not a barrel of laughs feeling so tired, but it's transient. I'm pretty sure I'll feel fine by this weekend. I see it as my body syphoning off energy from my limbs and over to my hip, where the energy is most needed right now, so I'm OK with it.

Hope I answered all your questions. If not, feel free to write me anytime. :-)

Alison
 
@MI Chickie-- I hope the tapping helps. Most of the people I've shown it to, or who had already tried it themselves, have used words like "miraculous," "magic," "incredible," etc.

My daughter had a deep phobia of driving at night, making herself almost frantic when she had to do it. So I did one tapping session with her, tapping on all the various parts of driving at night that had her frightened, and from that day forward, she's literally had no problem driving at night. At all. It is pretty amazing stuff. :-)
 
@canoewoman I am the one who wrote the original post, Not emotionally ready. My surgery is set for July 6th, the anterior approach. At this time I walk unassisted and have some discomfort. I was told by September I should be doing very well, which is important because I teach and go back to work at that time. Maybe you were in worse shape to begin with your recovery is slower. Which approach did you have? My wife and daughters are home to help me, so that is a plus. Hope you are doing better each day
 
@Royal1383 Hi Ken: I retired from being a biology teacher 6 years ago and became an active grandparent. I so remember spending holidays recovering from surgeries --no fun when what you need is a vacation. Glad you have a support team at home. Hope you manage to get some vacation in before you return to work.
Jen
 
I can only speak of my experience @Royal1383, but my hips got to a stage where they declined rapidly. Summer 2014 I travelled through Europe with virtually no issues. Last summer I was still walking unaided with a slight limp suspecting the discomfort to be back issues, to now at less than a year later I am using a walker and in constant pain...which is for certain..not much fun. I have trouble getting in and out of my car, shopping is torture and I can barley climb stairs and often will go up them on all fours if in the privacy of my own home. I wish I was diagnosed 12 months sooner to miss out on this struggle with lack of mobility and pain.
Only you can decide when the time is right, just be mindful that once that cartilage is gone the suffering comes on fast.
 
@Royal1383
@Chihuahuan Jen, my anterior surgery is set for July 6. Do you think I will be doing well by late August?
Hi Ken: I hope we both will be doing well by late August. My family doc says it takes about three months for recovery. All I know is that recovery is nothing to rush --it's a slow process that takes much patience.
Jen
 
@Royal1383 Hi Ken. I'll be out of touch for the next two weeks. Do try to take some time to go away for a long weekend to relax. Go somewhere where you can blow the cobwebs away and the girls can have fun....
Be back in touch later in June. Jen
 
@Royal1383 I was teaching at a college of nursing when I had my first hip replacement, and I (STUPIDLY) went back to teaching 4 weeks after surgery. It was awful. My stamina was no where near what I needed to be to be back to work. This was entirely of my own doing--although I do think my doctor was far too cavalier about it and should have warned me off.

Fortunately, it was also just 10 days before our Christmas break, so that gave me about 2 1/2 more weeks to recovery before getting into the winter term. I slept a ton during those weeks of Christmas. By January, I was much, much better and could teach (including doing my 12 hour clinicals with my students) without much trouble. So I would think that 8-9 weeks post-op, you should be able to manage pretty well.

I'm now a psychiatric home care nurse, and because of my first experience, I know all too well how energy waxes and wanes post-operatively. Today (Day 17 post op) is a perfect example. I got up, made coffee, slowly got dressed, and then my husband and I went out to the grocery store (which my husband would have preferred I not do, but I need to get out for my mental health.) I used the electric cart in the store, but by the time I got home, I admit, I was pretty fatigued. I ate a high protein breakfast and about 2 hours later, felt strong enough to slowly walk across the street using a cane to see a movie.

By the time we came home, I was in pain and quite tired. Took some medication and fell asleep...for 4 hours!!! Now, I feel much better and plan on spending the rest of the day writing and reading, but not going anywhere else. With this as my routine (and of course, it changes every day as my body's needs change) I am aiming to be back to a modified work schedule by about week 7 or 8.

When you do go back, be prepared to modify your usual routines to accommodate your pain/fatigue. Things like: pack a lunch so you don't have to walk to the cafeteria, teach from a chair vs. standing all the time, ask for help carrying things into or out of school, etc. for the first couple of weeks until you get your "sea legs" back. And be ready to be totally wiped out at the end of the day. You might not be, but it's best to be ready for it, if you are. It probably won't last long.

And I want to echo @msmo and her experience. I had an arthrogram done on my left hip in September 2015, and at the time, my surgeon said, "Welllll, yeah, I do see a bit of arthritis here, but I think all you need is a shot of cortisone. It's not bad enough yet to replace it." I declined the cortisone shot and just muddled through. A very short 8 months later, that same surgeon did the hip replacement and said to my family when he came out, "The surgery went perfectly...but her hip was horrible." So in just 8 months, my hip had gone from mild arthritis to being covered in arthritis, bone on bone. It's great that you're doing so well right now, but you are soooooo smart to get it done now and not wait. What's manageable today could be crippling by September, and that's definitely not what you want if you're a teacher!
 
@marcsgirl102 Alison, thanks for keeping in touch. I am meeting with my OR surgeon on Tuesday with plenty of questions. Also. Have colonoscopy and preop testing this week(fun). I retired from full time teaching in 2013. I now teach 3 hours a day in a private school, so maybe I will be good for September
 
PIECE OF CAKE!! :-) 3 hours of teaching you'll be able to do, no sweat.
And the good news about the colonoscopy is that, after that prep experience, you'll find going in for a hip replacement effortless. No prep at all!! Just "dress up and show up!"
Good luck on that, Ken!
 
@Royal1383 - literally, I found the BoneSmart forum because I Googled something akin to "terrified to have total hip replacement." It picked up on posts from others expressing that sentiment. You are not alone. Please remember that.

I have dealt with varying degrees of anxiety my whole life. I feel like I come by it honestly, as my beloved grandmother was a championship blue-ribbon worthy worrier. Ha Ha

The thing about anxiety is that you tell yourself if you can stay one step ahead of it, that you can beat it. You can anticipate it. You can prevent it, even. Meaning, if you prepare for every disaster and contingency, then you will be prepared and won't be caught off guard. Sounds great, as I love to plan. Problem is, it doesn't really always work. And too often we give away today's peace and joy for fear and dread of things that never happen. Stuff that never materializes.

I had total hip replacement 12 days ago. I am in my mid-forties. There are other BoneSmarties here younger than me- a lovely lady from Australia who is 29, and even someone I've seen in their teens.

Yes, surgery has risks. But life itself has risks. Was I freaked out about having hip replacement surgery? Did I second guess if it was really necessary? Did I wrestle with whether I should fill out the pre-surgery living will paperwork just in case? Yes, yes and yes.

Only you can decide for you what is right for you and when. I'm not trying to nudge you in any direction. In fact, when I feel pressured to do something, I find that I can dig my heels in a bit and refuse, just because.

When I went to the orthopedic surgeon for a consult I knew deep down where the path would lead. But I held out hope that I might still be a candidate for injections or for orthotics, or for anything less drastic than joint replacement.

My surgeon is a polite, quirky, and matter of fact guy. Within a few minutes of speaking with me he had his nurse come in to schedule the surgery, and she handed me brochures and gave me a parking pass for the day of the surgery. I realize that this is their day to day reality, but I became overwhelmed and felt like all control was slipping away, as if I had been caught up in a raging current that was tossing me about, headed for somewhere I didn't want to go.

So I left, shaking and in tears, and refusing to commit to any date for surgery.

I thought about it all long and hard that afternoon and in to the evening. I cried myself to sleep over it. And the next day, I called and set the surgery date.

What helped propel me, I attribute to various factors. For one, the sober realization that as much as I would like to think I am, I'm really not 100% in control of things. I am a Christian, and I do believe in a God who loves me and has a plan for my life. Second, knowing that my osteoarthritis was only going to get worse and more debilitating was a factor. I developed my hip problem at age 12, so it's basically all I know. Over the years the arthritis had progressed until there was no space above the femur like there should be- just bone against bone agony.

You don't realize the pain, the stiffness, the aching, the limitations, etc are getting a little worse each year. It's like pushing a wheelbarrow with bricks. You learn to manage, somehow, not noticing that with time more bricks are being added. Until finally you think, "Oh my gosh- this burden has gotten to be too much."

When you have chronic pain you build up a certain acceptance of it. It's just how it is. It is your normal. And while not fun or desirable, it's what you know. It's familiar. It stinks, yes, but it is the status quo.

I started having issues moving between sitting and standing. Getting up from my desk at work or getting out of the car after driving meant a pause to adjust, to get my leg straightened out somehow, before I could go. Last year I took a business trip for work which was rare and I realized how hard it was for me to walk the big airport. And then, what became my proverbial last straw was I could no longer sleep. I would wake up countless times at night, pain and popping occurring in my hip ball. I had to abandon the bed in favor of the recliner, which helped with sleeping if I contorted into an angle. I did this for months.

To a degree, our circumstances will always dictate our lives. Some are born into wealth; some into poverty, for instance. But sometimes circumstances don't have to define us.

I've spent a lifetime with a limp and with being different. It at times has been very isolating and difficult.

I feel like my hip surgery is a new beginning for me. A second chance. The support on this site has been tremendous. It helps so much just knowing that your fears and your pain are validated and that the success and the improved quality of life others have could be possible for me too.

I get where you are coming from. I have been all over the place in my emotions and feelings. I decided on the surgery, but still had second thoughts. Even though I kept hearing my surgeon in my head say how bad my hip was, that the next phase for me would be falling from a collapsed hip, that wasn't fully enough to convince me this was the right thing to do. Or maybe not the right, "ideal" time.

I had the surgery. And true to my nature, here in the beginning of my new normal, I am at times proud and elated. And sometimes I have wondered, "What did I do?" to myself.

It's a major surgery. It is not going to be without some discomfort. No two persons' experience is the same. Even those who have had both hips replaced report different experiences.

Should you be concerned about surgery? Yes, I think it is your responsibility to make your health a priority, and it is absolutely normal to have some amount of fear.

Should you educate yourself and make as many preparations as possible? Yes. For me, this made something daunting and overwhelming feel more manageable, like a project. There are certain things that are helpful to know and to have for recovery.

I ordered a book from Amazon about hip replacement surgery. It is in another room, but I can tell you without the benefit of a direct quote that there are around 300,000 hip replacements performed in the U.S. each year and the success rate is really high while complications are low.

Would it be easier and more acceptable if the success rate was 100% and the complication rate 0%? Well, of course. But life doesn't have guarantees like that. Just know, however, the odds are in your favor.

As I mentioned, I am a little shy of two weeks post surgery. I'm not an expert on any of this. I'm just a fellow person who is reaching out to you to share and hold your hand a bit.

I feel some of my strength returning. I feel like I can stand on both of my legs now in a way I haven't in a long time. Yes, I have some post surgery pain, but I take comfort knowing it will get better. And this pain doesn't feel like the arthritic pain. It makes me weep to envision both the surgery pain and the arthritis pain being gone. It seems almost too good to be true. I am humbled, somehow, that I am receiving this gift.

Still, at times I find my negative thinking patterns creeping back in, the ones saying, "Yeah, things so far are good, but what does the future hold? What if you have a dislocation? What if you get an infection? What happens if you need the replacement replaced?" These are all valid and reasonable, I think. But there's nothing- absolutely nothing- that the worry and the fear today is going to buffer or prevent tomorrow. And meanwhile, today is all I have.

Life is short and hard as it is. There's being prudent, and then there's becoming a hostage to your anxiety.

I will not be bungee jumping in the future. I will raise the question of whether I need antibiotics before I need any major dental work. That's just prudent. Like you need to look both ways for traffic before crossing the street. But that is different than being paralyzed with worry about what ifs that may never happen.

In addition to books I read that helped me focus on facts about the surgery and approach things logically, I also ordered a CD of meditations and affirmations for successful surgery and healing. If you are like me (and I believe you are), it helps to have beneficial thoughts to replace the troubling thoughts our minds can get stuck on. It forces you to change the channel.

I hope this is of some value to you. The site has been so useful to me, I want to pay it forward.

Only you know how you feel and what you need. And sometimes you probably even question yourself what that is. I understand.

The pre-op phase can be awful because of the roller coaster of emotions. It's okay. Take a deep breath. Ask yourself the following when you are calm: 1. Will my situation improve if not treated? 2. Is there sufficient evidence to support that having this surgery will improve my quality of life? 3. Do the benefits outweigh the risks? 4. Am I confident with the competence of my surgeon and medical facility? 5. Am I willing to accept more pain and less function for my life in exchange for not facing my fears?

If this were simple, we would not need this forum. I hope with it you will find comfort and kinship, answers and empowerment. Continue being honest with your feelings. But remember feelings aren't always reliable. Whether you're someone who needs a lot of info to be at ease, or someone who needs to be sheltered from details, or somewhere in between, find the approach that works for you.

Tragedy in life will always be there- unexpected, unsettling, inexplicable. The first five minutes of a news broadcast are enough to make you want to give up and stay in bed at times. Just be sure to give equal, if not more, attention to the other concurrent reality- one of hope, of healing, of love and of possibilities, triumph and victory.

For me this journey has been figuratively, and now literally, one step at a time. One foot in front of another.

We are cheering you on and wish you peace of mind and comfort for body.
@Sommers16 what a beautiful post! :)
 
PIECE OF CAKE!! :) 3 hours of teaching you'll be able to do, no sweat.
And the good news about the colonoscopy is that, after that prep experience, you'll find going in for a hip replacement effortless. No prep at all!! Just "dress up and show up!"
Good luck on that, Ken!

Just had colonoscopy all is good. They said my vitals were good throughout so I feel a bit less anxious about my hip surgery. Still worry about all the possible complications, but this is life.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
According to media reports, John Madden who is 80 years old recently underwent successful hip replacement surgery and is now rehabbing. Madden, a former American football coach and TV sports announcer, underwent heart surgery in December 2015.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Useful comments from everyone here.

@marcsgirl102, wish you were going to be my ortho nurse in the OR, you are knowledgeable and have a great attitude :)
 
Thank you for the compliment, @Horseshoe, but believe me--you would NOT want me as your ortho nurse!! :-)) Despite 30 years of working as an RN, I've never been a big fan of working with wounds. My expertise is in helping folks with the emotional and psychological side of things, such as pre- and post-op anxiety, discouragement, loneliness, disappointment, etc. But I appreciate your kind words!
 
Just had colonoscopy all is good. They said my vitals were good throughout so I feel a bit less anxious about my hip surgery. Still worry about all the possible complications, but this is life.
I'm also feeling the anxiety of surgery (July 18th)....I hear they give you a pre-op shot to relax you (valium maybe).
I wonder if I might start the "pre - op" shots today you know six weeks out?
Thank you for the compliment, @Horseshoe, but believe me--you would NOT want me as your ortho nurse!! :)) Despite 30 years of working as an RN, I've never been a big fan of working with wounds. My expertise is in helping folks with the emotional and psychological side of things, such as pre- and post-op anxiety, discouragement, loneliness, disappointment, etc. But I appreciate your kind words!
Alison, thank you for your kind and insightful posts.....most helpful to all.
 
@Big Sky 1 Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad what I'm saying is helpful. :-)

Pre-op anxiety is 100% normal. Not fun, I grant you, but normal. I try to use the analogy of flying to help reduce it a bit. We only hear about the plane crashes, not the normal flights, so people who don't fly much feel they are in perilous danger getting on a plane. Thing is, there are about 40,000-50,000 flights daily, carrying nearly a million passengers. Statistically, you would have to fly every day for nearly 200 years for there to be a significant chance you would experience an accident. The same is basically true with hip replacements--not those same statistics, of course! But about there are about 500,000 hip replacements each year, and only a tiny fraction of those have any significant problems. The ones you're likely to hear about are the ones that had unusual outcomes.

Now, that's not to say the recovery itself will be a barrel of laughs. As you'll read here, there is a huge spectrum of recovery experiences. But most of us soldier through it without any major incidents. My first hip replacement was really tough on me and it took me about 4 months before I felt totally normal again (but I did go back to work around 6 weeks post op and did pretty well with it.) My second hip replacement, done 3 weeks ago? Amazing. I'm walking without a cane, driving, cooking...life is BETTER at 3-weeks post op than it was 1 day pre-op, that is certain! :-) I have theories as to why they're so different, but the truth is, I have no real answer, no magic bullet I can share with you to have the kind of recovery I'm having now. Sometimes it's a fast recovery, sometimes it's slow. No way of knowing ahead of time how it will go for you post-op.

What most of us here will say is that having the surgery vs. having the chronic, debilitating, progressively worsening pain and stiffness is hands down a better choice. I could barely walk up to my patients' homes to see them the day before surgery, could barely stand straight getting out of the car. I hobbled into the hospital and had trouble getting up on the table. Now? Piece of cake. I'm still tender and there's still swelling in the joint, and I still nap every day, which tells me my body is still working hard to heal. But I feel JOYOUS over the improvements I'm already experiencing. Yes, really--joyous!

I hope that helps. And keep hanging out here--you'll get lots of great pre-op information and lots of great support!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom