Not Emotionally ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Royal1383 ---It might help to listen to some of the recovery stories on YouTube. For example, try under "Bilateral Hip Replacement."
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Royal1383 , check out my thread! I have had SPECTACULAR results from my second THR! I am on Day 12 and have already graduated from the walker to only using a cane, am on minimal pain medication, and happy as a clam. I'm in far less pain today than I was 2 weeks ago before I had surgery. Oh my gosh, the pain I had from the arthritis was crippling. And I had been increasingly debilitated for over 5 months (which includes not only having worsening troubles working as a nurse, but also with things like not being able to make love to my husband! No one talks about it, but as a newlywed, it was a very big deal to me!)

I had a fantastic pre-op and surgical team, cutting edge interventions both in surgery and post-op, excellent post-op nursing care, and have had great luck with Tramadol and Percocet every 6-8 hours to basically erase all my pain. If I thought my surgeon could handle the affection, I'd throw my arms around him and kiss him!

Find a great doc and a highly respected hospital and you'll do just fine, believe me. Hang out with us--this is THE BEST place for information and support!

--Alison
 
There are many positive outcomes and while it's good to be aware of less than ideal issues, most of these problems can be remedied. For me, the horrible pain was a game changer and it wasn't going to go away on its own, had several incidents where the pain was so bad that I wanted to take out the joint myself right then and there! I felt backed into a corner (pain vs THR terror) and the only way out of this is through. Instead of trying to force yourself when you're not ready is to maybe take a break from all things hip related, it can be overwhelming. Also remember that people w/o pain or problems don't post as much as those who do ie., you go to a dr when you feel ill not when you feel great, it's a matter of perspective.
Just saw @marcsgirl102 post, she is a nurse and so knows both sides of the equation, her story is very inspiring!
 
There are good stories out there too. But even in good stories there are bad moments. My piece of advice is to find a doc you feel confident in...and then trust them to do what they do. That sounds easy in theory, but I know it is much harder in practice.

I will be 5 weeks from surgery tomorrow. For me recovery has been easier than the wait for surgery. I denied that my hip was a problem for a long time. When I finally addressed it I had to wait 10 months until surgery. You can read my pre-op thread in my signature to get all the details if it interests you. I had some very emotional moments in that 10 months.

My actual surgery and getting out of the hospital went smoothly. Recovery has gone well. Sometimes I have to remind myself to be patient. I am hoping to go back to work for 2-3 days next week and 3 days the following week.
 
@marcsgirl102 Thanks for your support. Since you are a nurse can you explain the difference between cementless and cemented hip replacement. I have been told my bones are strong, so he is leaning toward cementless, but I read that since the bone has to adhere to the new hip you must be very careful the first 3 months. Is this true? Which way is better?
 
Hi @Royal1383 Just wanted to stop by to say, I am scared. But I am also in pain, so I am fighting the fears (and boy are they coming on strong the closer I get! I'm getting closer to panic attacks especially at night when I can't sleep.) You're getting some great advice here, I hope it is helping to ease your mind.
 
Hi Ken: @Royal1383
I'm just starting to gather up things for our Alaska adventure --we leave next Monday. I detest taking medication but have come to the conclusion that if I take Tylenol and Diclofenac around the clock I can keep the pain down to about a 4 (pretty sore but tolerable). I'm hoping Alaska will be a good distraction from "hip stuff". I love walking on a beach and poking around in tidal pools --restores my soul to be by the ocean. Hope you can get a break too :) Jen
 
Hi, @Royal1383 !
Yes, I'm a nurse, but my area of expertise is depression, anxiety, and PTSD (esp. combat trauma), not orthopedic. Fortunately, Bonesmart has a TON of information stored in various places. The info you may find most helpful is here:https://bonesmart.org/hips/hip-implants.

However, despite my professional background and 30 years of nursing experience, I steered clear of making those decisions. Instead, I spent my energy finding a fabulous orthopedic surgeon and then let HIM make all the decisions. In fact, I honestly have no idea if my hip is cemented or not, come to think of it! LOL! And it honestly makes zero difference to me. My guy (Stephen Raterman in Tampa) is so good at this, I just trust his experience and judgement. No point in my even attempting to learn enough to match his knowledge.

Find a great doc and then let him/her do the heavy lifting. Your job is to focus on making sure you are well hydrated, fueling your body with high quality nutrients, working out the parts of your body that don't hurt, and doing whatever it takes to still have fun each week! (About 6 weeks before surgery, I stopped being able to walk more than very short distances, so my husband and I stuck to things like taking car rides to beautiful places, watching movies, reading books, watching the sun rise or going to the beach and watching the sunset...we managed.) Keep your spirits up by socializing, being in nature, planning a vacation in the fall, and of course, hang out here with us!

I had my stitches out today (YAYAYAYAY!!!), got two thumbs up from my doc and his team, and had a celebration lunch with my wonderful, long-suffering husband! He goes back to work tomorrow, having taken 2 weeks of sick time off to care for me, and we both feel completely ready for it. My brain fog has completely lifted and I am cleared to drive!! Once the steri-strips fall off (in a week or so, I suspect) I'll be able to swim, take a bath (vs. shower) and start whatever easy exercise program I have the stamina for. I can hardly believe how great it feels to have virtually no pain!!!

Alison
 
@Chihuahuan--Hi, Jen!
Have you talked to your doc about taking Celebrex? Or maybe Tylenol #3s (codeine) for pain? At least for your trip? Celebrex is a little like a heavy-duty Advil, so if you have problems with ibuprofen or naproxen, you won't be able to take it. But it was a Godsend for me before surgery. I took it twice a day for about 2 months and it allowed me to work. And when the pain got really awful towards the end, I also found taking codeine to be very helpful.

Your docs should be able to find a way to control your pain long enough for you to really enjoy your trip to Alaska (which btw you are going to ABSOLUTELY LOVE!! The beauty there is so immense and so rich, it's hard to fully wrap your brain around it!)

Just something to ask your doc about...

Alison
 
@MI Chickie -- I was soooo scared with my first hip replacement, I had a tough time sleeping, too. This may sound nuts, but have you tried something called "tapping" to cope with your anxiety? It's a technique I've used with incredible success both personally and with some of my most panicky patients. I swear by it--helped me get over a terror over public speaking (which is lucky, because I ended up speaking all over the country for about 10 years on the subject of the mental health issues that returning combat veterans were dealing with.) Check these out.
broken link removed: https://www.doctoroz.com/videos/web-exclusive-tapping-technique


Also, just remember that orthopedic surgeons have patients who are at least as terrified as you are every, single day, and (if they're good) they'll know what to say and do to help you feel more confident about the upcoming procedure. So don't hesitate to call and talk to the nurse, nurse practitioner, physician assistant or the doc directly.

Hope these help!

Alison
 
@marcsgirl102 I'm seeing my doc tomorrow. Diclofenac is an anti-inflammatory med like Celebrex --works wonders but I do need Tylenol with it.
I have some "leftover" oxycontin from my last TKR so we'll see what doc has to say. I'm not ready for it yet but maybe during the trip.
We were in Alaska in 2012 and just have to go back to see Denali National Park. Not able to do the hikes I had imagined but it will be glorious ......
 
@Chihuahuan--Good! I'm glad you have something for bad pain. Even taking half a tablet may be enough to get you through the airport. I'm a BIG believer in the body's natural wisdom and ability to heal. But I am also a big believer in quality of life choices! So I take medication if I know the pain is going to make it hard for me to really enjoy something.
Have a wonderful trip!! It will be so good for your soul to be out there. Breathe it in deep...
 
@marcsgirl102 Hi Alison,
I am so happy with your progress, wish your OS was in NYC. are you really cleared to drive after 2 weeks? Are you using any assistive devices to walk? You are an inspiration, wish mine goes as well. Did you have much bruising and swelling? You spoke about fog, did you have GA OR sedation? Thanks for everything
 
can you explain the difference between cementless and cemented hip replacement
Here's a link to another thread in our Library that will answer your question Cemented and uncemented hips Uncemented hips are usually used on younger patients. Both my hips are uncemented and I had no restrictions post RTHR. Many surgeons are no longer imposing restrictions these days.
 
Hang in there. Its a very tough decision for some. It can be a big change, and for the most part(very high percentage..) its a very positive change. Anxiety doesn't help at all. You might want to have that particular aspect assessed at some point, as some of that might be holding you back from enjoying many things in life.

I had my THR on Nov.16 2015, I used a walker for 5 days, and used a cane off and on for a few weeks after that. All I can say is it was a very positive life changing procedure. I was in so much pain I couldn't think or do anything by the time my surgery date arrived. In some ways, I think that might have been my motivator(probably every way..), but if your hip is bad enough to warrant a replacement, you probably don't want to wait... but I'll leave it at that.

It is a tough decision.. Consider that the article you posted is 15yrs old, and how much has changed since that time. We're in a different time now, and modern medicine is very very good.

Since you've been reading recovery threads(as I do quite often..), here's a link to mine. Its a very true account of my experience, as are all the recovery threads.... from what I've read in recovery threads over the last several months, most are very uplifting. Even those about complications have much to say about overcoming obstacles, and perseverance.... as well as useful and helpful information.

I wish you well on your journey. Only you can decide what's best for you. I wish you well.

My recovery thread:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/48hrs-and-beyond.33718/
 
@marcsgirl102 Thank you so much! I will be looking into that tapping technique. I appreciate you sharing that! I'm amazed at your success and being able to speak.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom