TKR Not a new patient but I need help, lots of it

This is ridiculous I am up again I woke up in a great deal of tearful pain in my knee this morning about 2:30 I was going to try not to get out of bed hoping it would ease up but no such luck finally got up at a little before 4:00 in tears as usual. I know you have got to think I some nut job it has been 4 1/2 months of this misery. I am setting here trying to find something funny or positive the only positive is this has go to stop sooner or later, hopefully sooner than later.

As I am sure you have it figured out I am in Texas but I don’t know if I have ever mentioned the where, I can not imagine not doing due to the big flood by now you probably realize I am in Houston. Just as luck would have it I have an appointment today for Pallative care for this pain at one o’clock hopefully we can make it. As I said I am in Houston which since yesterday it has been paralyzed from a ice storm as I speak it is 20 degrees with wind chill factor of 7 degrees. For some it is really not so bad for what some of the northeast just went through. Down here we are completely unprepared, for us a good warm sweater is a t-shirt with a scarf and sometimes a heavy pair of shorts. So I am sure if you own a TV which most people do you have seen our mess. So even if I can get into the Doctors it should be fun to dress not mention shoes. We shall see please a little prayer I really need to see my doctor.
Thanks for listen to my rambling.
:censored::tantrum2::dead:
 
I pray you get safely to your appointment and get some help for your pain. :console2:
 
If it's bad for where you are, it's bad. I'm from Wisconsin, where it takes 9 inches of snow to begin closing things down. Well, for a short time I lived in El Paso and... a half inch of snow shut down the entire city. Schools closed. Government closed. Buses stopped running. You'd think it was an apocalypse, a half inch of snow. But they were totally unprepared for any snow at all. People didn't know how to drive in it. So it all depends on what's normal for a place.

I hope you get to see your doctor today. Ice is the worst. Before you leave, check with the doctor's office to be certain he is there today. Hope all goes well.
 
I pray you get to and from your appointment without any incidents! Let us know what he says.

When the pain woke me up at night, I found if I rode my recumbent bike for just a few minutes, my knee would get much better. You might want to try something like that.
 
The recumbent bike I had not thought of,I certainly will give it a try.
Houston is just like El Paso they have closed everything you can’t buy a hamburger if you wanted. Complete shut down really crazy.:snow plough:
 
Goodmorning to All,
This is ridiculous just a few weeks ago I was on the hip side for some pain in left hip,right hip was replaced in August 8,2016. My LTKR was September 5,2017. I am finally off the Percocet on every 4 hours. I had been on them for 4 hours a day for 4 months.I use my recumbent bike for 10 minutes no tension yet, then a thread mill for walking 10 minutes. That is with one day break between each.I am really trying and taking it slow and easy.
The problem is the pain it wakes me up every morning between 3:30 and 4:45 a.m. The is a very dull ache plus sharp pain on the inside and outside of my knee, I am still getting those horrible zingers. They are like a very strong sharp burning pains that hit in the side of my knee sometimes travel down my calf. I really was hoping this would be going away after this length of time. I need to be in as good of sharp as possible soon ,my husband TLKR is February 28th this is coming up fast,he will need a lot of help he has fused back as I sure I have mentioned before, from nearly between his shoulders to his tail bone with huge what I call screws into those big bones on either side of the back or rear end. I have to help him get up sometime now he refers to himself as Humpty Dumpty because he cannot bend or turn side to side he has to move his whole body. We cannot afford a heath care worker to come in. So you can see my delimma. I have taking care of him since his surgery in 2012 thru 2018.
I do not want to hurt myself or go back on Percocet, I’m having to take one when th pain can really get bad.
I don’t know if anyone has ever been in this situation. I guess with my knee is just the healing at this point I just reached 5 months.
Thank You for listen to my woes once again.
:scare::tiredwheel:
 
Try taking a break from the treadmill and see what happens. I walk outside with no pain, but the treadmill is a torture machine for me. It causes pain while walking for me. Just let your daily ADLs do the job or walk a few minutes outside. When the weather is too bad for me to walk outside I go to our local Walmart and walk the inside perimeter a few times just so I don’t have to use the treadmill.
 
Good Morning,
I started this new thread, because I am in a real pickle. I had a tkr in September 2017 the 5th
my husband is having a ltkr next week on 28th, my problem is my new knee is 6 months old which still hurts and to top it off my left hip is hurting so bad it is ridiculous. I can not get down I have to be here for my husband it is just the two of us. We can not afford outside help. My question what can I do, I am walking as much as I can. I guess I am looking for moral support I realize this is the knee recovery, the reason I am here is like I said between my knee is on the mend but slowly and now with the added pain in my hip I don’t where else to turn.:eeeuw:
Thank you:swoon:
P.S
I have been off narcotic meds. for about 4 weeks and I really can not start taking them again because I do the driving. Here in Texas they really frown on driving under the influence.
 
Last edited:
My advice at this point: slow down. You don’t need to walk as much as you can; just walk as much (or as little) as you need to. You can help your husband get through his knee replacement with not too much effort. (We’ve had knee replacements, as have you, and you know your role will be mostly emotional support and a little bit of logistics —driving to the doctor or other appointments, helping with meds, a bit of grocery shopping and meal prep, supervising trips up and down stairs.) You just need to get through a few weeks for the worst of your husband’s surgery to be over. You can do that.

What are you doing for pain control?
 
Maybe you should make a Dr appt to check your hip. And try to rest your knee as much as possible.
 
@Texaslady As we have done previously you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.
 
Hi, there! I'm checking in on you after a period of not being on BS for a while. I'm sorry to hear that you continue to have pain and to wake up in the middle of the night. My pain lasted longer than many people have reported, too. I feel for you. In retrospect, I may have carried on with the narcotics (only at night) for too long. I think that they caused restless sleep and even wakefulness, and their utility with stopping pain was greatly diminished by the time I stopped taking them. It even seemed at times that the pain medications enhanced the pain. But that's probably muddled TKR thinking!! It took over a month after I stopped opioids completely for my sleep to improve.

One thing I learned from waking up in the middle of the night, sometimes every hour or two...I was ALWAYS in tears if I tried to lie there and get through it. The only thing that "saved" me from going crazy was resolving to get up and do something whenever the pain woke me. After all, if the pain is enough to wake you up, it is not suddenly going to lessen so you can go back to sleep easily! I would get up and remove myself to a comfy chair with my iPad, a book, or the TV remote. I would at times elevate and ice, but just the change of scenery and position was often enough to get comfortable again. Sometimes I would fall asleep there, and sometimes I would go back to bed an hour later. Saved my sanity!
 
Sorry for starting new thread but this morning I was is in so much pain. I could not
find or even remember what to do.
Anyway thank each and everyone for your responds. It has been at lest a month if not more since I have had a Percocet. It got to where it was not helping that much so I stopped them I still have a full bottle from last refill.
The pain in my knee radiates down my shin. So don’t know if it is all hip or knee or a combination of both. I try to move and walk every day, not over do been there. My hip is getting worse it seems everyday, this wet cold weather here does not help.
:tiredwheel: Thanks
 
Yes to the wet weather...first we had over 12 inches of snow a couple of weeks ago. Then, when it warmed up a bit, major flooding caused by several days of hard rain plus snowmelt and river overflow. I’ve been hobbling around since this lovely weather started and just recently realized that my discomfort was probably weather-related. I’m actually relieved. I was attributing it to old age and not keeping up with daily exercise as well as I should.
 
Wet weather does seem to cause some people's joints to act up. I hope things get warmer and drier for you soon.

It's good you're off narcotics if they're no longer helping. Do you have a form of pain control? Many people find Tylenol works very well, and some use a combination of Tylenol and Tramadol. You could ask your doctor about the latter. I found 3000 mg of Tylenol a day worked very well. You can safely use up to 4000 mg of Tylenol daily, but need to be sure you are not taking other meds that include acetaminophen (Tylenol) as an ingredient. Percocet, for example, usually has some Tylenol as an ingredient. So do look at your meds to be sure.

Your left hip pain could be related to your left TKR. A joint replacement changes your gait, usually for the better, but the change will affect other joints in the chain, from your feet and ankles, to your hips and spine. Have you worked with a physical therapist on your gait? A good therapist might be able to tell you if your gait is the problem.
 
I am here because I don’t know where else to go for answers! I have been on both hip replacement and more recently knee replacement so I trust the suggestions and opinions I get.

This time it is not about me b my husband he had a TKR last week feb 282018. I brought him home on March 2 2018 which was on Friday. First of all my husband does not do well anaesthesia. With two back surgeries, first one he was out 8 days, second one it was 5 days before he woke up but he was not in his right mind he would talk crazy and see things. Now all that brings me to today.

I had to call an ambulance to come take him to the Hospital just in a few days home it just got crazy.

Now he is in the hospital with some kind of infection and the doctors do not where the infection is coming from. All I know is I am crazy scared. His new knee is red with a streak of red running from his knee to his groin.

This is all new to me. I had no problem except pain but you got me through. My poor husband was screaming in pain when they took him away. I followed close by.

I guess I am wondering has anyone ever had this happen, maybe ease my mind.
:bawl::beg:
 
Oh my, what a scary experience. It’s good that he is in the hospital getting the care he needs.

How are you? Is your pain any better? I’ve been concerned about you taking care of your husband not being fully healed yourself. :console2:

I don’t know anything about infection but just wanted to say hello and and let you know I care. :console2:
 
@Jockette thank you for your kindness. I have been okay with taking care of him, my pain is really slowed dow.

It only hurts when I am on my feet too long. He had only been home about two a half days when this happened. It was so sudden he woke up yesterday morning in so much pain.

Sorry I have not been posting but it has been crazy. When he had his surgery he was in a hospital 35 miles away that’s one way. This a lot closer to home which will make it easier on me.

Until he was put in the hospital for surgery I had not really started driving, we drive a big truck which is had to get in and out of but I got it figured out.

Once again thank you for your concern.
:what::bawl:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom