Guest viewing is limited

TKR Not a new patient but I need help, lots of it

Hi @Texaslady, I certainly do remember you! I’m sorry you feel something is wrong. It is the last thing we want to happen. I hope your appointment goes well.

So it seems this is not the surgeon who did your knee? Why did your husband have a different one than yours? Are they in the same office?

I am in a similar boat with my knee, I am 16 months post op with a partial and I, too, feel something is wrong.

Keep us posted. :console2:

We’ll get this post into the same thread you had before, so all your history is in one place. It makes it easier for us to advise you that way.
 
:flabber:Hi @Jockette I remember you as well, I refuse to go back to OS that did my original LTKR she was a joke!!!
She just about did me in. She refused to prescribe me something for pain when I got out The hospital finally convinced her and she prescribed 18 pills telling me to take as needed. Long story short, her supervisor is the head of the OS department and he had done my hip replacement about a year earlier, he referred me to her. She was new and he had stopped doing surgeries. I got fed up with her and called him. he referred me to a wonderful women in pain management.
I would not let her touch me, she had me in PT 2 weeks after surgery where after about 2 weeks I was doing leg presses they laid me face down and picked my leg up forcing it to the back of my thigh then turned me over pushing down on my knee cap, taking my knee putting it in a bent position running my knee cap back and forth say they was trying to get it tracking properly. My husband had to help me to our car because I could not put any weight on my leg.
My knee has never been the same I firmly believe it was her and PT who led me to today, I have more pain now than before I had my RTKR and at that time it was bone on bone.
So that is why I am seeing my husband's OS which is in the same office, I should have used him to begin with.
So for such long post. Will keep you up on my new journey.:flabber::what::what:
 
Oh my, that is a terrible experience with PT. It makes mine look like a piece of cake!

I will not go to PT next time, I can handle rehabilitating my knee myself, just fine.

I do remember how much pain you were in the whole time you were posting here. I actually thought of you the other day and wondered how you were doing.

I did get a second opinion on my knee in June. The other advisors here told me I should go out of my area so I could see a surgeon who has no association at all with the surgeon who did my surgery, so that’s what I did. Long story short, it was a disappointing appointment that lasted maybe 15 minutes and I have no solution.

Second opinions can be a difficult process. I hope you are able to find an answer. :console2:
 
I remember you also, but am so sorry to hear you are having a problem. I’m crossing my fingers the surgeon finds no problem (would never ever wish that on anyone!) and this is something you can still work on without surgery. If you need revision, though, I hope this surgeon can help you. You appear to think well of him. The best thing any of us can do for our knees is to find a great surgeon to do the surgery.

PT stories like yours make me angry. There are GOOD therapists out there who really help their patients, but so many people encounter therapy that hurts them. I think it’s just as important to find good therapists as it is to find great surgeons!

Hope all goes well with you and you find some answers!
 
@Texaslady
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Recommend you seek a second opinion for your TKR, from a surgeon specializing in Revisions, they have the education and background to determine what is happening with troubled knees. Look for a surgeon specializing in complex joint reconstruction or revisions. They should have no relationship with your present OS, not even golf buddies.
 
PT experience sounds like a nightmare in a torture chamber. Never go back to that place! There are many good PTs out there and no one has to settle for some one like you had.
 
Hello to everyone, I am back and with more questions.

The last post was about thinking I could possibly need a replacement being repaired due to some bad PT and doctor. Still have not done the things I need to due to some blocks in the road.

My husband had Left TKR and right THR and I had to have a cervical fusion due to a fall really messed my neck up then came a bladder surgery. From September 2015 I have had 5 surgeries 3 of which had nothing to do with my knee. So you see how my knee got put and the back burner.

I have tried walking and losing weight but it has gotten worse. Now they want to replace my right knee and left hip. With all that and some other health issues, I really am scared to put all this in motion. The only reason I am considering the left knee repair is the pain I suffer everyday.

My main concern about a revision is from what I have read and heard from you guys that it is really a tough surgery.

Any feed back would be appreciated.
Thank you
 
@Texaslady I’m sorry to hear that you’re possibly facing more surgeries. I can only speak for myself, but the revision I just had on my right knee seems easier than my original RTKR. It wasn’t aligned correctly and I had pain the entire year that I waited to have my revision.
 
I’m sorry you are going through so much pain in so many areas. :console2:

I’ll tag @Josephine for you.
 
My main concern about a revision is from what I have read and heard from you guys that it is really a tough surgery.
While surgery sometimes takes a bit longer for a revision, the recovery is not necessarily any worse than the recovery from a first knee replacement.
I had my knee revised and my recovery was very similar.

If you find you need a revision, don't let the fear of it being tough put you off.
 
Celle is right. It very much depends upon why you need the revision. Most revisions are for relatively simple issues like a loose implant or malalignment. These don't necessarily involve much in the way of soft tissue or bony cutting and therefore won't cause a lot of pain. Plus surgeons are now in the habit of employing proactive pain management such as injecting pain medications and/or lidocaine into the tissues surrounding the joint which would mean a lot less post-op pain.
 
To all of you out there that had LTKR, it has been over two years since I had my surgery and I have had nothing but pain. I went back to my original OS she said I looked great of course this the same OS that did not believe you really needed pain meds. long story short I actually with to the head of OS department and since this was one of his favorite surgeons so he sent me to pallative care where put me on a pain schedule and visited and call on a regular bases. The knee never got better and she could not justify after 3 months to keep for me in palliative care for treatment. She was great told me to see another OS. Which I did but he was at the same clinic as first OS his diagnosis was it was he fact my left hip was worn and fixing it might help. By this time it was getting worse and going on for 14 months. This new convinced for the hip replacement, it is now 8 weeks after that surgery still no relief, during these last 8 weeks been back to the Doctor 4 times and check ups, still no help still on pain meds that takes the edge off of knee pain. This last time was a week ago when I brought up the knee issue, he informs me that I have all kinds of things wrong with my spine. Refuse to have back surgery. So now will be seeing my PCP 10/6 she what she says. Sorry for the rant,if anyone can relate please le me know.
Thanks Regina☠️☠️
Excuse the typos.
 
Hi @Texaslady
I'm sorry you're still having so much pain.
I really don't know what to advise you, but you do have my sympathy.
I'm going to ask @Jamie if she has any other ideas that might help.

I've also placed a copy of the above post in your hip recovery thread, hoping that someone dealing with hips can also suggest something.
 
Hi, Texaslady. I'm so sorry to hear you are still having pain with your left knee.

First, I need you to review your signature and make sure all your surgeries are listed there with the dates. Please provide the ones that are missing so we can get it corrected. We reference this information a lot when providing advice for you. I see your latest THR isn't there, so we'll definitely need a date for it. And I'm assuming you never had your left knee revised, right?

If you are only 8 weeks out from your hip replacement, it may be a bit too soon for things to get better with your knee. That's still possible and I think you need to give your hip recovery at least 6 months (and maybe more) before you decide that it's not going to help your knee. Be sure you're working with a good physical therapist who can analyze your gait and help you make it more normal.

It also could be spinal problem impacting your knee. Of course, your surgeon is going to know that better than us as he knows your case and has seen your x-rays. Once your hip has completely recovered, if you still have pain in your knee and no one can resolve it, then you probably should seek some additional opinions.

I agree that you shouldn't rush into spinal surgery. At least one of your consultations should be with a neurosurgeon to see if it can be determined that you back is the source of your knee pain.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom