TKR Not a new patient but I need help, lots of it

Well here I am again!!!! Miss smarty here was feeling great in the Christmas spirit, looking forward to Christmas
day and dinner with the daughter and her family I have of course I think this a beautiful 19 year old granddaughter and 8 year old twin grandsons. The boys are a hoot on Christmas Day
:reindeerlights:Well I have felt so well that I could do some housework, light dusting and I have a small lite weight
vacuum one of those you take apart it becomes a dust buster.I have hardwood floors easy to care for so I vacuumed. All this on Wednesday only one little thing up and down stairs several times:flabber: then on Thursday I really got smart sat down in the floor not thinking about having to get up:cry: This is where a video would come in handy for the getting up part. My husband was upstairs no hearing aids so I scooted across my den on my butt to the sofa, fortunately I have pretty good upper body strength made it up. But guess who was in pain and icing their knee and up half the night in pain:bignono: I really was doing good of weaning off heavy pain killers, I guess I thought after 3 1/2months I had become superwoman not so much.
I know someone needs :gaah:kick me in the back side. Well that is my story and I can not even plead ignorance because I know better.
 
I swore off kicking people in the backside when my kids became adults, so I will give you a hug instead. We all do this. We feel great, like we can take on the world... and so we take on the world for a day. And our knee reminds us that it isn’t ready to take on the world just yet, so would we please slow down a bit and let it finish healing?

You should have no trouble bouncing back in time for Christmas. Until then, if you bake cookies, sit while they’re baking, and let someone else run up and down the stairs doing whatever else enters your mind. Or do it yourself, but do it the next day. Cut back on the holiday chores or spread out over several days those you simply must do. This Christmas, do more enjoying of the season by relaxing, talking on the phone, writing Christmas cards, and sitting back to watch others have a good time. :reindeer:

Hope you have a restful holiday! :merryx:
 
@SusieShoes thank you so much for the kind words,people that live near you are lucky to have someone like you close by to talk to. You always know exactly what to say to make me quit beating myself up.
My you have a Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year:santa hug::reindeerlights:
 
Oh wow! Boy, do I relate. The knee feels so good, so we think we have turned a corner and are back to normal almost. Then we go crazy doing almost all those things we have been putting off for months. Then ut oh, the knee screams back at us the next day telling us how bad we treated it! We all have done it. And we have learned from it, which I am sure you have done.

I found in my earlier recovery days of about 4 or 5 months, that I'd do one major extra thing one day, then rest as much as possible the next day. This went on for at least a month, but I was able to add a little more each 'work' day as long as a 'rest' day followed it.
 
sat down in the floor not thinking about having to get up:cry: This is where a video would come in handy for the getting up part. My husband was upstairs no hearing aids so I scooted across my den on my butt to the sofa, fortunately I have pretty good upper body strength made it up.
Where there's a will, there's a way!
 
There surely is! But I have been pay for it for two days I have hurt like crazy:groan:I forget how long the the recovery is for a tkr, I am just a little past 3 1/2 months that sounds like a long time it. Is for a gall bladder surgery not the good ole knee. Even when you feel great it will get you if you over do it.:tantrum2: I know one thing for sure I will not try and get in the floor to wrap the rest of the gifts, I will clear off my big dinning table and it there.
I am setting here right now pain pill first then ice wrap front and back of this angry little knee.
I do have a question I want to get my husband a ice machine for when he has his tkr in February. I can not afford one of those 300 or 400 dollar numbers. Something around 150 would be good.
Bye for now have a very :merry christmas:
 
i got a used Breg Polar ice machine off ebay that had been used once for $79...works great.
 
:santa sleigh:Great thanks, I have one more question I hope this doesn’t sound stupid especially since I have been in recovery for 3 1/2 months. I keep feeling like I should be further along than I am. Up until a couple of days ago I really thought I could see and feel real improvement, but not since my little ordeal the other day. I have not stopped icing my knee and elevating since I came home. When does it get to where you can do things and not anger the new knees? I don’t know if other get to feeling Ike this are not I just want to get mylife back on track.
 
@Texaslady I'm right behind you, mine was 9/27/17...I would love to know that as well. Ive been up and on my feet for hours doing ADL, sitting now with ice on my knee. :) and resting.
 
When does it get to where you can do things and not anger the new knees?
That's the big question. It will just happen when it happens--but for me it was probably at least 6 months. Though the knee was less and less temperamental between 3-6 months.
 
I hope this doesn’t sound stupid especially since I have been in recovery for 3 1/2 months. I keep feeling like I should be further along than I am. Up until a couple of days ago I really thought I could see and feel real improvement, but not since my little ordeal the other day.
By 3 1/2 months, you will still be making progress, but the little improvements happen more slowly. Try assessing yourself week by week, instead of day by day.

You're still only just over a quarter of the way in this year-long recovery. I know it seems as if you've been recovering for ever, but your knee still has a lot of healing to do. Try to be patient - it's worth it in the end.
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

Your little episode the other day will have caused a slight, temporary set-back, but your knee will be OK.
 
Like Jack Nicknlson in the Shinning here’s Johnny, in other words I’m back again. I am a wreck! My first question is there anyone that has had 4 joints replaced I about in 4 years in their late sixties? Second I am pretty sure I am repeating myself here, when I went in for my 3 months check up they X-rayed my left knee that I had surgery on in on 9-5-2017 and also they X-rayed my right knee nearly bone on bone and left hip which was really I wanted X-rayed extra but they added the right knee. My left hip has always been bad but all I can figure out for myself is that the new left has made it worse because of the way I’ve had to walk, since my OS never has any answer other than vague. All she had to say that it is shot:yes!: is that not grand!!! She had no other comment the problem is the pain is getting worse, fortunately I have wonderful pain management Doctor. I have one obstacle having it is my hubby is having TLKR 2-28-2018. My biggest fear is me I am not over weight as I have said before about 15 pounds from lack of exercise, but fear I am 68 will turn 69 this summer, I have some health issues diabetic, thyroid graves, and very poor immune system from not having a spleen and liver problem. When I see all of this in print it really looks bad. Anyway I am concerned another joint replacement for me might have a bad ending for me. Is there anyone are do any of you have any advise for me on the problems that could crop up that could be bad for someone my age because if I do decide If possible. :sos::sos::reindeerlights:
 
Last edited:
My first question is there anyone that has had 4 joints replaced I about in 4 years in their late sixties?
There are plenty of people who have had both knees and both hips replaced. We even have a thread in the Social room for them, here: Four Replacements Club
Read some of their posts and see how well they are doing, and how they have regained a normal life.
I have one obstacle having it is my hubby is having TLKR 2-28-2018. My biggest fear is me I am not over weight as I have said before about 15 pounds from lack of exercise, but fear I am 68 will turn 69 this summer, I have some health issues diabetic, thyroid graves, and very poor immune system from not having a spleen and liver problem. When I see all of this in print it really looks bad. Anyway I am concerned another joint replacement for me might have a bad ending for me. Is there anyone are do any of you have any advise for me on the problems that could crop up that could be bad for someone my age
First, don't worry about your age. People have hip and knee replacements well into their eighties and they do well.
My mother was 85 when she had her second knee replacement. She made an excellent recovery, in spite of having moderate heart failure.

Second, as long as your doctors are aware of your other medical problems, they will deal with them. It's a big deal to you, but they deal with those illnesses every day.
Your blood sugar levels will be monitored carefully, as will your overactive thyroid.
They will take precautions because you no longer have a spleen.

Once your husband has had his knee replacement, he will be able to do most things by about May. You've had both a hip and a knee replaced. You know that you won't need much care physically after them, just someone to prepare meals and drive you to appointments until you can drive again.
You could prepare for the time by pre-cooking and freezing lots of meals.

I know it's been a shock for you, but all of this is eminently doable. And think how much better life will be when you've recovered and you no longer have that awful arthritic pain.
 
I hope this comes out okay I am sending from phone. I have been trying to get on Bone smart from my I pad with no luck. I have no idea what is wrong. It's a air pad 2 I have had for about 3 years. Anyway will get that figured out hopefully. I did not get you guys replies until this morning,as usual you where a great help. Only thing I've only had one hip and one knee. The knee was 9-8-2017 which is really doing better if I don't get the Super women thing going again and over do, then my new 4 month old knee howls like a Kentucky blood hound.

I hope everyone has wonderful Christmas and safe and Happy New Year.:merryx::treestar::nativity:
 
Help for some reason I have started not being able to sign on to Bone smart. In fact I can't even get it load up.whats up?
 
I finally got my google to work I had to delete app and reload it, I am so happy I have not been able to write you guys in a few days except on my phone.

I know I have to sound like a cry baby I took a glance over my last few post and it seems I complain a lot. I have no one to really talk to about my current situation, my husband is tired of the whole recovery process when I try to talk to him he tells me we have discussed all that. Right now you all know my hip is going out sometime I have to hold on to the edge of den table before I can stand up straight it is so painful. Last night when we went to bed I don’t know what happened but my hip and whole leg including new knee hurt so bad I thought I was going to scream, is this normal for a new knee that is 4 months old do you think my hip on that same leg is causing complications??? The pain pill must have finally kicked in because I selpt for 4 hours. I am at my ropes end. When I am finally able to get out of bed after sleeping a few hours I cat stand up or walk I hold on too night stand to door frame and kinda scruffy walk out of the bed room, I try to walk around like that for a few minutes to try and loosen up joints. Has anyone had these kind of problems. Thank you all once again.:merry christmas:
:reindeer:
 
X-rayed my left knee that I had surgery on in on 9-5-2017
The knee was 9-8-2017
So now I'm confused! Was your knee replaced on September 5th or 8th?
Only thing I've only had one hip and one knee.
Your signature shows this:
"Left TKR September 8 2017
Right THR August 8, 2016"

But you asked this:
My first question is there anyone that has had 4 joints replaced I about in 4 years in their late sixties?
I responded to that question by telling you about the Four Replacements thread.
 
I am sorry about the date it was the 8th of September 2017. I just missed a typo when I reviewed my message.
Thanks for that site you referred me to it was very enlightening. I posted on there some questions hope that was okay.
I hope you have a great holiday.:dancing:
 
That was missed worded I only have TLKR and TRHR, what I meant that if I have the next two as soon as they need to be replaced it would be in about 4 years in a row that I would have had 4 joint replacement, both knees and both hips. One a year a replacement. I am just concerned having two more joint replacements in such short period of time if it is more dangerous for me,since I do have other health issues. When I went for my check up on December 1st I had my left hip and my right knee X-ray to see where I stood as far as I could wait. The OS said the knee maybe 1 1/2 to 2 years but my left hip is shot. So as soon as my husband gets well enough after he has a TLKR February 28 , 2018. Which would put me right at a year since I had left knee replaced. Just a little scary it would be to have a hip replacement surgery three years in roll heal from that one and have another knee replacement. I hope that cleared things up I know it is needless worry but I am no spring chick.
:reindeerlights:
 
There is a couple of typo in my post and signature which I need to get corrected. My knee surgery was the 5th of September not the 8th , I got confused they rescheduled my knee 3 times the last change was due to hurricane Harvey. :dubious:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom