Guest viewing is limited

THR No pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for input/advice on realistic activity during and "after" recovery. I'm very active work out 6-7 days a week cross fit /bikram yoga. I've definitely had to modify all my workouts before my new hip a lot . I couldn't jump run or do many poses on my bad hip. My doctor say I can go back to yoga in 4 months. But I'm looking for others experiences that are as active. How long does it take you to get back to speed. I am nervous that I will re-injure myself but I would love to get back to where I was before the hip gave out!
 
Full recovery of soft tissue is really about a year....maybe longer depending on things like the surgeon's skill, our age, and our individual healing capabilities. But a big factor in injuring soft tissue....and this is true long after the full recovery period....is simply doing too much all at once. A lot of people here on Bonesmart have followed a similar pattern: sometime after the initial recovery period, could be two months...four months...six months...whatever, they dabble a toe into the water. Whether it's hiking, biking, running, yoga, dance, they try a little bit. They feel pretty good. So they try a little bit more. Still feel great, so they jump in with their whole body. Full immersion. A half hour bike ride was no problem, so ergo, I must be ready for a 20-miler. A few weeks later, they are back here on the forum worried about the terrible pain in their hip/butt/groin/thigh/knee.

They will get advice here about STOP. Give it some total rest. Wait till the pain is completely gone. And then start back veeeeerrrrryyyy sssslllloooowwwwwlllyyy. But, human nature being what it is, none of us wants to sit on the sideline of life. That patience...or lack of it....makes the difference between a relatively short period of recuperating from a strain, vs months of continued pain while we try to undo the severe tendonitis that has set in.

How much activity is too much? Most of us have no idea until it's too late. How much pain and grief would we avoid if we just continued to dabble that toe just a small fraction more over a much longer stretch of time? And really paid attention to the early warning twinges that we all too often choose to ignore?

I believe in erring on the side of caution. I am certain there are many who sped up the reentry period a lot faster than I am recommending, and did just fine. I only know about the problem cases because that's who comes back to this forum and wants advice. The successes are out there doing. But I do know that there's no downside to patience, and there's a potential huge downside to rushing it.

Acacia, you are younger, and you have been quite active previously, so you have some real strengths going for you. I'm tagging @alexthecat to give you a realistic time frame about how much, how often, and how to pace yourself.

Sharon
 
Unfortunately, I don't have a one-size-fits-all timeline for returning to athletic activities. Every patient is different. Every hip is different. The best advice I can offer is to listen to your body and build adequate rest into your regimen. Fitness gains are made during rest, so lack of rest will delay your fitness goals.

A lot of more athletic people seem to have an impulse to try to push through pain. That's really not a good idea. Pain is not "weakness leaving your body". Pain is your body's way of telling you that something is not right and it's in your best interests to listen to that.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks so much for your input. I do come from the generation of no pain no gain but I think I've learned my lesson !! Way to many orthopedic injuries . If anything fear of injury will keep me at a good pace
 
That's good to know! The biggest problem that I've seen on this forum is that people try to rush things right from the beginning. That sets back their recovery and the harder they try the "behinder" they get.

If you can avoid doing that, you should be getting back into a normal (however you define that, based on your interests and experience) regimen by 6 to 9 months. The groundwork for that is laid in the first 6 to 8 weeks though. If you can resign yourself to bring very sedentary then, it will pay off later.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
I started this thread from the beginning to the end here. A lot of good advise. In my "day" I was I great shape. Never knew I had hip issues. Worked through the pain and thought it was my groin. Slowed down on activity and now scheduled for bilateral in 5 weeks my energy is just zapped. I though it was age....I'm hoping it's not. I'll be 51 in four weeks. Wish I would have found this sight sooner and Made some modifications to my workouts and did a bit more to prep for surgery. I have a feeling And really hope I am on the "minimal pain train" because I have been taking Celebrex or equivalent for 8 years. I'm done with them I hope soon. :)




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Catdemar I'm sure you will be like the rest of us and the day of your surgery you will be asking yourself why did I wait so long ?. I have really learned the past year there are many different things you can do to stay in great shape...... They may not be what you have always done or would really like to do but if you really want to be in good shape you do what you have to. I can't believe I'm going to turn to swimming for cardio but I will ..... Not my fav for sure. Thank goodness muscle has memory so I am determined to stay in shape safely. My hip replacement was do to an injury all because I didn't know when to quit. So at 51 years young once you get your hips healthy you'll be back in the race!!
 
Can anyone tell me if they have experienced a very cold foot on the side they had replaced?. It's doesn't seem numb but very cold. Don't know if it circulation or what
 
Hi Acacia -both of my feet are cold. I was thinking it was circulation. I started keeping my legs elevated and wrap a microwavable heater under them in a blanket.
 
I am 7 weeks post op and I found that my whole body temperature was out of synch for 2-3 weeks after op. I would feel really cold when it wasn't really then hot although the windows were open. I did not have a temperature but it felt as if my body had to re-learn its temp control! It did just correct it self and I back to "normal" now.
Trust it will sort itself out X
 
Hi Acacia: I have found that my foot leg and hip on the operated side is always colder than the other leg. Shortly after I had my RHR my husband took me on a vacation to Kentucky. We were in the hills and were outside doing his hobby of astronomy , so it was late at night. We returned to the cabin about 1 am and I could not get to sleep because that leg would not warm up. It was a weird feeling. Logically with a metal hip it makes sense that it would retain the cold. With this winter being so cold I notice this often if I have been outside. I asked my OS about it but he said that it was very unlikely but I don't believe it. That leg is just always colder. If I put one hand on the skin on each hip , the right one is always colder and so the leg and foot too. You know what you feel. Thanks Moody
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom