THR No pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh one more thing I was fortunate enough to have a spinal and congious sedation I felt great when I woke I did have a real problem with low blood pressure for 2 days fainting once:) did not bother me at all but scared my poor husband . Luckily I was sitting in a chair. This can happen with a spinal . My incision has been glued so hopefully it will look great I won't see it till next week it's covered

Hi @Acacia16. This mirrors my experience post-op :). My blood pressure dropped to my boots and I had a bit of a 'moment' with the physio in the hospital who was determined I wasn't going to walk to the bathroom (I won:happydance:).

I was in hospital Thurs-Sat and by Monday I was only taking Tylenol for pain management plus lots and lots of icing. By 3 weeks I was elated but I have had ups and downs since then (my recovery thread will tell you more).

Its fantastic you're feeling so well. Finding a comfortable sleeping position will take you some time; I was never a back sleeper but somehow, with enough pillows, I started to get myself comfortable (although at this point I can now sleep any old way I like :)). Feeling pain-free is just amazing - even if you are using Tylenol to help. I still take 3-4 doses a day even now, but I would definitely call this an out and out success. I can now walk and run and do pretty much anything I like without a 10 minute time limit before the gnawing pain sets in. I totally get your sentiment - it's wonderful isn't it?

:spin:
 
A,

I did not mean to offend at all, but in your early post u did write that u were taking Tylenol plus pain pill.

So happy to hear that 11 days out you are feeling so well and feel that you now can get by with Tylenol only. Congratulations !

Do be careful about your dosage. Currently in US recommended max of 3200 mg to avoid liver damage.


All the best to u for a great recovery.

E




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
It's awesome to no longer have the stabbing pain of bone on bone. I'm thankful for a 5 hour at a time sleep considering I wasn't sleeping at all before surgery. So for me to get 8 hours a sleep a night I feel like a new person. I've been on a anti-inflammatory diets for mths and continue to do so I believe it helps with this whole process. It's encouraging to hear that you run now . I can't even wrap my brain around that!! It will be nice to not have to modify my workouts and hike like I used to. I'm looking forward to the summer!!!
 
@Elizak My pain was managed. It was 5/325 dosage. My surgery was 1/27 stitches out 2/16. Since then only occasional tylenol. Like Acacia16 did lots of ice.
 
Sabresfan,

Did not mean to offend. So around 20 days on oxycodone with Tylenol. As it should have been. So happy that u had a relatively comfortable experience and were properly medicated.

Best for your continued recovery,
E


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
To both A and S,

I meant no offense. But there is no value or heroism in not taking pain meds.

In fact, when the body is in pain, and it is not relieved, from what I have read, stress chemicals take over and prevent the body's healing compounds from coming out to work on the trauma caused by surgery.

So, for the first two weeks, at least, perhaps 6 weeks, very low activity, proper pain management, lots of fresh foods and veggies, and rest, rest, rest, and then some more sleep. Plus lots of ice and more sleep.

Best to both of u,
E


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Elizak
No offense taken. Actually stitches came out on 2/11. I guess time flies when your having fun.
 
Haha I agree. Not much fun, but worth it in the end. I was on a walker for the months before my surgery. U might want to take a look at my recovery thread.

All the best
E


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
To both A and S,
But there is no value or heroism in not taking pain meds.

In fact, when the body is in pain, and it is not relieved, from what I have read, stress chemicals take over and prevent the body's healing compounds from coming out to work on the trauma caused by surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

I just want to add, in response to this, that nor is there any benefit in overmedicating when the pain doesn't warrant it. I took a low dose of Targin for only 5 days and then found that it was making me feel worse, not better, and that I could manage just fine with only the paracetamol (Tylenol). It really is horses for courses and I don't think there is any norm or "as it should be". We're all so different in our histories, surgeries, tolerances; one-size-fits-all this is not.
 
I don't think this discussion re pain management is now appropriate for this thread, which is actually someone else's.

Sorry Targin, whatever that is, caused u discomfort, but Tylenol is also a strong pain med with its own potential problems, especially to the liver. Opiates can be much safer and less toxicity to some, particularly for post op pain. Unless u are an addict, then, definitely no.

Let's return this thread to it's originator.

The point is, pain management is crucial, whatever substance achieves that for the individual. (Excepting masochists and Christian Scientists).

Best for your recovery,
E


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Targin is a mix of oxycodone and naloxene. Naloxene actually inhibits some of the effects of oxycodone. Not sure why u were prescribed this. Can certainly understand why it didn't work. Naloxene inhibits euphoric and other effects of oxycodone (appropriate for opiate addicts) and decreases constipation effects, but so does prune juice. So, not sure why u got this.
But, I guess u are ok now. I would have just asked for something different.

Again, my last post on this thread.
Best to u in your recovery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Elizak you seems so passionate about pain meds. I'm sure you have a good reason for that. If you need them by all means take them. But if you don't don't pollute your body with drugs. We all come from different walks of life I prefer to stay with natural resources when possible. You had a different procedure than I so you can't relate to mine and I can't related to yours. This is why this sight is good we can take all information and use it as it fits our needs
 
Good point Acacia, it would seem that those who have the anterior method seem to have less pain post op. But, pain is relative---some folks feel it more. Even with the knees---I had a friend who asked me why I talked about the pain of knee surgery---she never had any---walked out of the hospital with 2 Tylenol and never looked back!!! I was jealous!!
 
Do be careful about your dosage. Currently in US recommended max of 3200 mg to avoid liver damage.
The maximum dosage for Tylenol (acetaminophen) is actually 4000mg in a 24 hour period. There are some places on the internet you can read of a lesser dose, but that was something proposed as a US safety measure because Tylenol is contained in so many products. It was feared that Americans would not read labels and overdose on it. We don't agree with that idea and think BoneSmarties are clever enough to add up the acetaminophen in their medications.
 
Thanks for the correction.
Of course, one should always consult with one's doctor as individual factors could affect the recommended maximum dosage.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I was well educated on all my meds before being discharged and I have 3 kids who are RN . I don't typically take anything so the last time I really checked out the strength of a Tylenol it was 325mg well I'm glad I looked at my bottle to see they were 500mg tablets. My son picked over all my meds. Snoopy guy:)today I felt super good and had to remind myself I still have restrictions. I love to spend time in the kitchen but while on crutches it makes it difficult . I'm a hairstylist and have had surgeries where I've been non weight bearing. My last surgery I purchase a hydrolic stool that looks like a small saddle on wheels. Best money I've ever spent. I just move around my kitchen no problem. I took a pic of it to my doc and he said it was fine to sit on. I have a u-shaped kitchen so I was afraid I would pivot without thinking.
 
Acacia, it does sound like you are doing so very well with your recovery! That's wonderful to hear. Smart idea about the little stool....can you post a photo of it or a link as to where to purchase it as it might be a great idea for others.

Tylenol (regular) is what you had that were the 325mg strength. The 500mg is considered Extra Strength Tylenol and it is one of the medications we recommend people use for pain management both pre and post op. As I'm sure you know, the pain that can be associated with arthritis and joint replacement surgery can be a whole different animal than head or muscle aches we normally experience. For most people, a single dosage of 1000mg (2 500mg tablets) works amazingly well on pain. So, what you have been taking...the two 500mg tablets....every 6 hours would be exactly right to stay within that 4000mg daily maximum.

Of course, there are other options should you find your pain increases with more activity. But it's important to do what works best for you. And it sounds like that's just what you're doing! Good job!!!
 
I think I know the stool you have @Acacia16, my father-in-law has one just like it in his garage and they are fantastic!

I got into trouble early on for being in the kitchen...but that was because my husband found me balanced on my crutches trying to 'wash' the floor with a cloth under the foot of my newly-operated hip just a few days after surgery :bricks: oops!
 
Holy cow I slept 9 hours last night!! That's like a dream come true!! I have done that in a couple years. Finally sleeping on my side is working comfortably. But definitely need to get that spacing right with a pillow between your legs. I'm not going to know how to act with all this sleep!!! I did wake up after 5 to get new ice but slept 4 more. Those of you who haven't had sleep in years know why I'm so excited!
 
Good for you!!! There is nothing quite like getting normal sleep patterns back. You're going to feel so great with all this rest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom