Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I had an awful night. Even though yesterday afternoon I did not let the therapist touch me and I was in control of the exercises, I did too much. I couldn't tell at the time, but I could tell last night and this morning. My pain has gone from a 3 to a 5 while resting and around a 7 when walking. It is NOT worth it. I don't have to be a certain way by a certain time and I will take it much easier next time. I had no idea I wasn't yesterday. It just gets you later! Just walking and taking care of myself and the cats is enough for a while. My knee will heal on its time schedule, not mine! When pt calls to schedule tomorrow I'm going to tell them to stay away. And if Medicare requires them to come then I will do very little. They can write up whatever they want to. I don't care. They have to answer to Medicare not me!

I bought a little pack of sun catchers from Walmart that the children will use in Vacation Bible School. I'm going to attempt to paint a couple of them today for my roommate to take to the VBS workers meeting tonight to show as an example. That should keep me busy for a while! Anything away from the boob tube will be positive!

My friends, please pray that the poop fairy visits me today! I took a dose of Miralax yesterday morning and another this morning. So far, she doesn't want to make an appearance.
 
I had my RTKR on June 2. My therapist visited me yesterday afternoon for my first evaluation. I was in control of everything that was done to my leg. I was the one that did the heel slides and the quad exercises and the leg lifts. I thought I had done just a little bit, but found out last night that, that wasn't true. I had terrible pain. And this morning is rough too. Why I am writing is to tell you to be careful when doing your own PT. Do just a very little bit at the time and then wait to see how your knee reacts. Don't do what I did and overdo! Now, I know and don't want you to find out the hard way like I've done.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ughh Im so sorry you are feeling so sore. Are you quite sure it was from the PT, not just the normal , few days out worse pain deal. I guess by not doing the PT you will know soon enough. I really hope your pain eases up, and that oh ya, that ellusive poop fairy visits soon. To me thats one of the worst parts of any surgery. With my hip it was 13 days, and it just added to my misery..

How will you be sitting to do the painting? Are you using an ice machine, or just ice packs? Are you icing enough, and elevating enough?

Please feel better SOON!
 
Good morning, Diane. I elevate all day when I'm sitting and all night. And yes, I have that wonderful ice machine! This pain is definitely from the PT because it's more swelling, too. PT is the only thing different that I've done. Before last night my pain wasn't that bad.

13 days! Bless your heart, you must have been miserable. @Josephine would it be OK for me to use a suppository to try and get a visit from the poop fairy?

I bought a lap tray from Amazon, (is there anywhere else?), that I'll be using to paint on while sitting in my recliner. The major problem with that is I have a cat in my lap almost all of the time! I wonder what color she'll turn out!
 
Thank you for the advise.
Someone mentioned in a post the need to have shoes a bigger size due to swelling. Is this your findings?
 
Haha love that you still have a sense of humor (cat in lap, what color)

Do you have a lift recliner? If not, how are you finding getting up from a regular recliner? I have a lift recliner that I got for my hip. I am not using it now, but wonering if it will be helpful for my knee surgery.

Dont mean to be so nosy ;-) , but A. I do care and B. I'm following your journey as mine starts to get closer.

Hope the painting distracts you a bit.
 
I was considering having the bilateral TKR done and Sam's had their lift recliner on sale for $200 off, so I bought one about 3 months ago. I really don't need the lift part, but what is nice is it reclines all the way down unlike a regular recliner. I'm up and down between my bed and the recliner so the full recline is nice. Since you have both, why don't you try them both afterwards and see what feels the best. And, please ask me anything you want! I want to help. I've received so much help from here and want to do a small part to repay everyone's kindness!

@Josephine thank you for your answer. I'll try that. It's past time for me to go!
 
@Apple pie, my foot hasn't any swelling, but my ankle does. I did buy a cheaper velcro pair from Walmart that was larger just in case. I might need them later on after I'm up more.

@Josephine I'll see if I can get someone to pick up one for me. Thank you for the suggestion.
 
The leg looks straighter and there is no more crutching. I am not sure I can separate arthritis pain from surgery pain. I think the surgery pain just distracts me from noticing much of anything.
 
My OS said they would start me on a stool softener at the hospital and for me to continue taking Colace at home...my dad took it after a complete shoulder replacement surgery and it helped him!!
 
I've been taking the softeners twice a day. I have had a little break through this afternoon, so there's an end to that problem in the future! I'll just need to keep on with the aids until I'm off of the meds. @Floridagal I have noticed that the way I picked the leg up before the surgery caused arthritis pain. I can now pick it up that way and that particular pain isn't there! I'm so excited about the improvement already! Now, to get over the surgical pain. That will teach me patience! Not gonna be an easy lesson!
 
I am a great believe in Miralax. It has kept the poop fairy visiting me almost every day.
 
@Floridagal, so far, it's not doing too much to help. I did have a small break though yesterday, though, but I want much more! How often do you take it? And how are you feeling? I had a better night last night since I didn't have pt yesterday. They are supposed to come sometime today. I have a feeling it's going to be a struggle every time a therapist shows up wanting to torture me. I so dread it. The one Sunday said that Medicare requires 5 visits. How can they dictate that?
 
@sistersinhim two things, as for PT & medicare, as long as they show up, they will get paid. You can just let them in, tell them you will only do what you are ok with, even if that is nothing. Be strong! Second, miralax never worked for me with my hip replacement. After over a week with miralax, I switched to milk of magnesia, and a day, maybe 2 later, I had comfortable success.
 
I have a feeling it's going to be a struggle every time a therapist shows up wanting to torture me. I so dread it. The one Sunday said that Medicare requires 5 visits. How can they dictate that?
Just engage PT in conversation - have them make you a cup of tea or coffee and relax. You don't need to feel guilty about saying no. After all you have already warned them very well. Stay strong!
 
I've already decided that I'm not doing anything I'm not sure about. One night and day of agony was enough! I've not heard from them yet today. Maybe I just won't answer the phone! But, then they'll keep calling and I won't be able to nap. It would be a blessing if they just forget about me. I'm doing well without them! @dianehelen, if I don't get relief today I'll get someone to pick me up some MOM. I need success one way or the other!
 
Its so heartening to me that you are doing "fairly" well so soon after. I am sooo scared and fearful of this, and seeing someone near my age, (or older in floridagal recovery) doing sorta ok this close out, just helps me hope I can do this...

Keep up the good work!!
 
Oh I have a question for you. What are you doing for elevation on your recliner, either pillows, or a foam of some sort?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom