Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Paula welcome home. You'll recover so much faster in your own nest than any other place. I keep sending you positive thoughts and prayers.
 
@SassyGirl, thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. I'm two days out from surgery and it is a real challenge. The Zofran 8 hour is working pretty good. Taking Oxycodone 5ml. every four hours, and Tylenol 1000 mg at the same time. So far it's keeping my pain level at resting about a 3 and active about a 5. Nothing I can't handle right now. I have finally begun to take lots of little naps. I'll sleep about 1/2 hour every few hours. I just took my night time dozes and will try my bed. I have to use a leg lifter since it's really high. Good night all and I'll be checking in later.
 
Those chills are normal. You might even be running a slight fever for a few days. Your body has been through a lot and it takes a while for it to normalize itself. Use a blanket or wear warmer clothes. Don't stop the icing, though! You need it.
 
Hi Paula

How are you feeling today, home and a few days out. How is the pain and are you able to get around reasonably?

We are about the same age, so watching your progress will be interesting.

Hope you have a decent day, and days that keep improving
 
Good morning everyone! I actually slept about 3 hours in a row last night and in my own bed! It's really high so I had to use a leg lifter, but boy did it feel good getting in there! I'm on Zofran and 5mg of Oxycodone and Tylenol, which are bringing my pain levels down to around a 2 when laying around and a 4 when up and moving. These levels are OK. If need be I can take 2 5mg. of the Oxy., but I won't unless I really have to. My home nurse is coming around 1pm. I haven't heard from pt yet, but am thinking about waiting a week for them to come out. That will give me more time to heal and get some of my strength back. I have a Polar Care ice machine, but found that if I use it on my incision area for a long time it starts to sting. But, it works great all around it.
I got my roommate to wash my hair this morning. Boy, did that feel good! I bought a big pack of cleansing wipes that I'll be using for a while. They put on a waterproof bandage, but I haven't the strength to get in and out of the shower yet. The wipes will do just fine until I can. I'm moving around better than expected and am so thankful for that! I am concentrating on not limping. I have a rolling walker and need to be constantly aware that it can roll out from me. It has brakes and getting used to using them is a struggle.

Time for another quicky nap! I'll let you know what the nurse says.
 
Sounds like you are doing pretty well, all things condidered. I hope I do as well :-)

Hang in there and keep healing and letting us know how you are doing.
 
Good to hear you are home and fairly comfortable, I pray you continue to have a smooth recovery.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
@Josephine how soon can I start rocking on my recumbent bike? My OS has given me 4 weeks to get 90 degrees flex, which shouldn't be any problem. Right now my extension is wobbly. I have my seat way back on the bike and think I could help it with an easy back and forth action. But, I definitely don't want to do anything too soon! I have decided to tell pt to wait at least a week before coming out. Of course, like the therapist at the hospital, they might tell on me! Oh, I'm so scared! They might send me to the principle's office!:yikes::heehee:
 
I didn't start with the exercise bike until my third week since I could only do it at the outpatient facility. You might want to wait a bit longer since you're just recently home. I took it very easy the first weeks especially because I was so tired.
 
Boy, isn't it the truth about tiredness! I'll be sitting in my recliner and the next thing I know, I'm waking up. But, those little naps help a lot. Right before going to sleep I find myself really stupid and foggy. When I wake up the brain fog is much better.
 
My OS has given me 4 weeks to get 90 degrees flex, which shouldn't be any problem.
No need to push ROM. Read the articles we posted for you about no limits to gaining ROM. Doing too much too soon will indeed slow this process down. You are literally days out of major surgery. Please do not worry about gaining ROM.
 
My experience was exactly the same as @newly bionic. I didn't go near a bike until week 3 and then got a full revolution first day I tried (admittedly with the seat quite high).
Fatigue is definitely amazing isn't it....you can't believe how overwhelming it is it until you've been there!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My OS has given me 4 weeks to get 90 degrees flex, which shouldn't be any problem.
That is your surgeon's target. It doesn't have to be your target. If you don't quite meet it, so what? He may threaten an MUA, but all you need to do is just say that you would like a little more time - because it is your right to choose.

My surgeon likes 90 degrees by about 6 weeks, but he wasn't strict about it. As long as he could see that progress was being made, he was happy to wait a little longer. Incidentally, by allowing that extra time (and recommending a gentle approach), he hasn't had to do an MUA for the past 3 years.

As the others have said, there's no need to rush to get ROM. It can continue to improve for at least a year.
It isn't exercise that increases your ROM. It's time and reduction of swelling. The ROM is already there, inside your knee, just waiting to show itself, once the swelling allows it to bend.
 
I am not pushing myself at all. I had 79 at the hospital and 88 today after pt left. She did no pushing, just watched me. And before today I had done no exercises, just walked around the house. I know it'll come just doing my normal things. No more exercising except while pt is here. My extension has never been there, so that will take longer, but who cares?! @dianehelen, thanks for the shampoo tip! Sounds good.
 
Welcome back. I was relieved to hear you are doing so well. BTW I had general, nerve block and morphine injected in the knee. I don't seem to have any numbness.
 
Happy to hear you got some sleep in your own bed, it's so great to get back to your bed.
 
Amy Jo, I wish my knee was still numb! I didn't feel anything in it until Friday mid day. Then the block wore off. Too bad. It would be fine with me to have it numb until it's completely healed. Oh well, wishful thinking! I have surgical pain now, but I can tell the arthritis pain is much better, maybe even gone! Have any of your new knee people noticed a difference yet?
 
@sistersinhim I 'm so glad you are doing well..we know the surgery is going to be painful but at least there is a light at the end of that tunnel, the arthritis pain is never ending...rest up :console2:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom