TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

@dianehelen You have been so helpful to me and have made so many friends here! We will be right with you all the way. Please don't fret. If need be I'll drive to Orlando to hold your hand. You are only about 2 hours and 20 minutes away.
 
I'm happy you got out and were able to do some shopping and even put it all away. I remember when I would get home and only put away the frozen or refrigerated items and then immediately sitting down with my ice. Look at how far you have come since you had this surgery in not even 2 months. You are doing fantastic and don't let anyone make you feel that you are falling behind what others have done in their recovery. Lots of people tend to exaggerate how fast they have recovered. I hope you enjoy working on your SS lesson. I bet it will be a great one.
 
Awee @Floridagal Amy Jo, you are so sweet. You are so right, the friendships we make here form a special bond. Thank you for your encouraging words. Ok hold the cyanide for now :rofsign:
 
@Floridagal, I guess I have named my new knee 'the brat'. I didn't intent to, it just happened that way. It's just reacting that way sometimes! And I bet you would drive to Orlando to help Diane. You're that kind of giving person.
@dianehelen, my friend had absolutely no problem at all with her hip. It was her knee that gave her problems. She even had to have a brace shortly after her replacement. I really never understood why. But, she said it hurt too much to wear it often. So, she didn't bring that up yesterday either! I guess it's a good thing we forget about how bad things were. Just look at childbirth. That's agony, but when that infant was put into our arms, all that pain is pushed way back into our minds! Just think how much better off you are just having the knowledge that you have gained from this site. You will be fine. You know what to do and what not to do, unlike so many others that believe you have to go through extreme pain at pt to rehab a tkr. How blessed we all are to have found BoneSmart!
@uva55, this has definitely been a test and a trial. But, just maybe because of this pain we've been and are going through, we can be more understanding to a person who is going through pain. Be it physical or emotional. Because it hurts both ways! I believe we are put on this earth to help one another and what better way than to go through suffering to make us more understanding of others!
@newlybionic you are so right. I have come along way. It's been 8 weeks today. Sometimes it feels like 8 days and sometimes it feels like 8 months. I knew it would be a long and drawn out recovery, but experiencing it and knowing it are two different things. Today I'm on top of that mountain, but I'm wondering if I'm going to be falling down it again tomorrow or the next day. Soon, I'll be up there much longer before falling down. And after that, I won't be falling down, just sliding down just a little bit! I know those days are coming. The bad thing that wants to keep hiding in the back of my mind is a metal allergy. Since I couldn't wear cheap, nickle earrings as a teenager I'm concerned that this implant will cause a huge allergic reaction. I will have to ask which DePuy implant my OS used when I see him next month. That just might ease my mind.
 
riend had absolutely no problem at all with her hip. It was her knee that gave her problems.

Ya, that's my fear or hope. Hips are said to be easier, not the case for me. I fear it will be worse, but hope it won't be, or at least no complications
 
@dianehelen
I love your humor! You made me laugh when I was stressing over doctors not responding to me. I know our situations are not funny when they are happening to us, but I try to make it light later on. (Tired of crying)

I was also one who thought I would have an easier time. But even though it took everything out of me, I'm doing some things now that I didn't have time for before. And I have a legitimate reason for not doing things I'm supposed to be doing!
 
I couldn't wear cheap jewelry either at all and I haven't had an problems with an allergy to either implant I had. I had a Smith and Nephew titanium one and now a DuPuy revision knee. So don't dwell on a allergy problem now.

The way I got through my recovery after my revision (and I still do after 4 months) is to expect that tomorrow I might have a down day but I try to keep in mind that the day after I could be feeling up again. For every two steps forward there will be a step back. I know that in its own time 'Bionic' will be perfect.
 
I am so so grateful that I had 3 months to heal from my knees before going back to work! I don't want a super-human story! To get the 3 months I just had to take off the month of May-June and July there was no school-Education job.
 
@birdwatchr, that's just it! We're not supposed to be doing anything but healing! We have a legitiment excuse for being lazy. Our job is to heal our knee.
@dianehelen, I can certainly understand your fear. The 'what ifs' like to have driven me crazy before having this done. All the worst things that could happen kept popping up in my mind. And in some ways, still do. But, like I said before, you have it so much better than those that aren't on this site. You are well educated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of you today and hoping it's a better day.
We're in the ups and downs of recovery. :good-bad:
Hugs
 
@TML, thank you. I had a pretty good night. Better than I thought I would after my shopping job, I was afraid the brat would rebel last night, but it wasn't bad.

This morning I was much more sore because of my shopping yesterday, but still in good spirits! I actually went out, in two trips, and cut my acre yard! I wrapped my knee in cling wrap just to try, and it feels OK right now. I'm doing the normal things after extra activity and hope tonight will be as good as last night or even better! Getting the yard cut is another goal that I have met! That's two this week, so far! Baby steps!
 
Great to hear! Yes, we'll take baby steps any day.
 
My yard is awfully bumpy and I feel it on the riding mower, but so far so good! My brat had it's 8 week birthday yesterday. Maybe she's finally beginning to grow up some! Tonight will be the test. I'll take a pain pill early, just in case! Won't hurt to beat the pain if it wants to show up. I am finally getting some of my appetite back. But, I don't want to go overboard and gain any weight back. I'll be staying on my Nutrisystem for a while and see if I can drop another 30 pounds. I know my knees would like it!

Another good thing about changing my 2nd. insurance to a medigap, now I don't have to have the left knee replaced before the end of the year to take advantage of my out of pocket payments. I lose that insurance on September 1 anyway. Now, I can wait until when I really want to do it and when the right knee will strong enough to carry me! My medigap will cover every thing that Medicare leaves after the 80% payment! I like that!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
After the grass cutting yesterday, my night wasn't that bad! I woke up at 4:30 in pain while I was laying on my side. Side sleeping is painful. When will I be able to sleep on my side! Anyway, I took my med and fell back to sleep until almost 8am! During my heel slides this morning I got my flex to 110! I'm so happy about that! I'm still having a problem getting a good extension, so I'm working on that. That's even more painful than working on the flex. I am very conscientiously walking with the long stride, toe to heal. Improvement in the extension is so hard to come! Before the surgery I was in the negative number. My left one still is. I would like to see my new knee even with my old one, but boy, is that going to take some time!

I am just getting back from shopping again. This time I thought I'd try the 'buy online, pick up in store' option. So, I shopped online, paid for it, and went to the store to get it after I got the email saying it was ready. I thought this would be so much easier than walking all over the store. Well, never again will I do that! I had to wait in place for about 20 minutes. Standing in place for that long was extremely painful after a while. I'm much better off walking around.
 
Gaining extension takes a bit longer than flexion. In my case my leg wasn't straight before surgery which will make extension slower to obtain. Never do any exercises that cause you pain. Discomfort is ok. Pain will just cause swelling.
 
The buy on-line and pick-up here in KY brings stuff to your car. No standing in line! Love it-did it today.
My extension is also harder to do than the range of motion part. I sleep with a pillow between my knees on my side. Have you tried that-I also flip from left to right sides a lot!
 
Back
Top Bottom