Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

@dianehelen, you bet I have learned my lesson! It was so careless of me to do something so stupid! I just hope others can learn by my mistakes. @newlybionic, thank you for reminding me that 2 weeks ago I couldn't teach SS! That is so true. Marilyn had to take over for me at the last minute. So my first of moving furniture didn't turn out so well for me, but I had the strength to do it! That's a plus. Maybe the energy drain is slowly leaving as the healing in my knee is getting closer to completion. I'm feeling better since being off my feet all afternoon. Hopefully, my setback is over and I'll be back to where I was before Thursday afternoon and my big booboo.
 
@Floridagal, you are just one day ahead of me. Do you still have a lot of tenderness on your knee and does it still get very warm? I know we aren't supposed to compare knees. But, I just wonder how I'm doing generally.

My sleeping has been better the past two nights! And my knee is slowly getting over my furniture moving! When I woke up this morning I wasn't even stiff and it didn't hurt to walk! Of course, as the day has gone on and my activities are completed, it has gotten uncomfortable and stiff again. Up and down on this rollercoaster! At least there are some good times now!
 
There are times when my knee is not hot which is surprising. Most of the time it is warm. It is not tender to touch. I can actually lie on my stomach at night with the knee facing down. It still feels stiff especially after sitting for awhile but doesn't hurt when I walk. I can now go UP steps naturally but not down. We move on toward total healing slowly but surely. I hope I answered your questions. I still take the half blue pill to help sleep.
 
@Floridagal, thank you. Mine is also warmer than the other one most of the time. But, I can't lay on my tummy yet because of the tenderness. And to rub my hand across the medial side is very painful. That's what's keeping me from sleeping on my side for long. I have gone up the steps, holding on to the rails!, naturally some. I haven't done that in 20 years or so! I see my OS on the 9th. I'm going to ask him about all this tenderness. Also, Amy Jo I noticed on another thread that you medigap paid all your remaining after Medicare. Who do you have. I'm beginning to shop around because who I have through work paid only $95 towards this surgery and I'm left with over $1300. My company is making me go off of disability and forcing me to retire because I'm turning 65 next month. I will then have to pay for my secondary insurance and want to start shopping around. I do half of a blue pill, too, plus 1 Tylenol PM. It helps a lot.

@uva55, Two good nights have been such a blessing! I still wake up 2 or 3 times and then get up early, but that's normal for me. Ever since my knees have been bad, menopause, and then a bladder tack my sleeping hasn't been that good. So, to get two good nights has been wonderful!
 
@sistersinhim

You mentioned menopause. My cousin and I want to know when the hot flashes stop? Lol. Doesn't seem like it has with us! At least I'm not freezing cold as much during the day now. Outside trips to the mailbox in the 90 degree heat actually feels good at times! Can't wait for the normalcy to come back.
 
Medigap insurances are offered by a lot of companies. In order to compare them they are standardized by the government and each had a letter to designate those plans. There are several different plans offered and it company can charge you a different amount. They are used with Medicare itself as the primary and the medical is secondary. This is not a HMO so you can go to any doctor that accepts Medicare and you do not need a referral. If you have other questions you can PM me because I've dealt with this before for my parents and also for a ten year period where I was disabled. You will also need a part D plan to cover medications.
 
Well, since I've been icing all the time I'm frequently wrapped up in a blanket. But, before that, the hot flashes are a real pain. In the winter I a lot of the time I run around without a coat. In the house I'm sitting around in a t-shirt while my roommate is in a sweatsuit and hoodie. I despise the hot flashes. I've had them at least 10 years. I hate summertime normally, but with this icing all the time, I'm glad it warm outside! I, like you, go outside to warm up! I can't imagine doing this in the winter! I assume sooner or later the hot flashes will come back, but I'm not looking forward to them. I don't want that part of normalcy back!

@newlybionic, thank you so much for that information. I will be PMing you and explain further.
 
Paula, I'm glad that @newlybionic jumped in with the info on Medigap.

I had my first hot flash in my mid-40's and the doctor told me at that time they'd last 30 years. I nearly fell over in dismay. They only get me once in awhile around 2 or 3 a.m. At least that is when I wake up in a sweat. I go to bed with cold feet and a quilt and wake up with only a sheet on. Such is life.
 
Yes, it's not a lot of fun, is it? Yes, @newlybionic was very helpful. I have a lot of studying to do, but will go with a medigap that pays everything. Now, I just have to decide which company.
 
All I know is when I needed a hot flash, in the middle of watching a soccer game in 30 degree weather, it never happened! :ice:
 
They're not convenient are they? Mine almost always hits me in the choir loft in front of the whole church. I grab a fan and start fanning like crazy. I look out and see the women nodding their heads and the men snickering. I used to be embarrassed about it, but not anymore. Since the surgery, though, I've not had one. Maybe I shocked my body out of them! Hey! Wouldn't that be great!
 
@sistersinhim - I'm catching up...I thought of you Sunday morning and am glad your class went well! I said a prayer even though I'm three hours after you. I hope your knee is bouncing back.

We had a possum on the fence in our side yard. Our dog saw the thing and barked her head off. I went out to see what was bothering her and to hurry up the potty run. I looked up and saw it's glowing eyes. I screamed and doodle and I both ran back inside. She looked up at that spot on the fence for at least a year :snork:.

I'm absolutely *dreading* hot flashes. I run warm anyways and adding a hot flash sounds miserable.
 
  • Funny
Reactions: Suz
Possums don't bother me that much. We've had them for years. They really don't hurt anything and I've not found them to be destructive like a raccoon. They haven't been coming in the cat door either like that raccoon!

Thank you so much for your prayers for my SS teaching last Sunday. Prayers do work! I think the class went well.

Hot flashes aren't fun. Taking black cohash and soy helps to tone them down some. There are a lot of generic things out there to help also.
 
Here we go again. A bad night and day. The only thing different I did yesterday was to ride my bike 2 1/2 minutes longer than I usually do. I wouldn't think that would do it. I just rode it again a few minutes ago, hoping to work out the discomfort. So far, no good! I'm having a hard time figuring this knee out. I think all it wants me to do is sit in my recliner and do nothing. That can't happen. I have things to do! I need to increase my bend and extension, but working on that just aggravates the knee. I hate this yo-yo. My hopes are raised and then kicked back down. It plays with me physically and emotionally. Bummer! I just have to look to tomorrow and hope that it's going to be better than today. This process is so slow and it seems like I'm getting nowhere. The tears are coming again today. I know, it's normal, but still no fun. It seems like it's been such a long time I've been the same way pain wise. When you hurt, you don't want to do anything. That just adds to the depression.

I hope my good friends on here are having a much better day today. I love to read good reports. It encourages me.
 
Oh Paula, I'm so sorry you are having a rough time at the moment, though I must say I can relate to every word you say, it's been my experience too. And when things are worse you try to work out why and often there's no rhyme or reason, which makes it even more frustrating.
I'm sending you a virtual hug and a prayer that you will have strength to get through this setback and see improvement again very soon. You are so supportive and caring, know that you are cared about too.
Love, Tabby :kittykiss:
 
Oh Tabby, @Tabbycat, thank you so much! And I am hugging you right back! I guess sometimes we just need to cry! How are you feeling. I'm so glad you're over your slip. Something that happened so quickly took you so long to over come. These knees are something else! Patience is needed, great patience! Something that God has been working on me for a long time! I guess He's not finished yet!
 
Oh, Paula, I understand your frustration and the awful emotional roller coaster. I was encouraged to use my little portable cycle thing to keep my knee flexible, and after doing 5 minutes cycling I feel awful pain the nest day. You would think such a tiny increase in your pedaling would have a good effect after building strength but the knee seems to have a different plan. But hey, you still need rest and recliner time to balance your days. This emotional up and down is understandable. This is a rough and intense journey. Cry when you have to, it releases the tension.
 
Paula I'm sorry you are feeling bad, but tomorrow will be a better day, you have enjoyed good days before, but this is the name of the game...today I feel achy all over and the only thing I did yesterday was give my kitchen and bathroom a good cleaning, so today I will ice, elevate and be lazy, it's not just my knee is my entire body, I guess I need to go sit inside my fridge for a while.
 
Paula, I'm so sorry that you're having a down day. Let the tears flow, sometimes a good cry is needed. I hope that a day of rest will give you a better day tomorrow.

@uva55 - cleaning kitchens and bathrooms is a lot of work. I hope the fridge helps :snork: (that made me laugh) and that you do feel better.
 
Back
Top Bottom