Newbie introducing myself

I'm telling you honestly I had the posterior walked that night. I was out of hospital next night .. I'm equally matched in progress with some on my bonesmart buds who had the anterior. I will say the first week because they have less precautions they seemed to move through it all better....one week...now some feel it more and I still don't IrishJoe is right it's all in how good a doctor you have ✝

I lived with severe osteoarthritis for over 10 years because i worried so much about the recovery time being as im self employed . I was one of the stupid people that watched the youtube videos . I actually watched so many i think i could have done the surgery myself . I didnt have a problem watching the videos until the last week then it got real and i stopped watching and found this site and it has really helped me. I had my surgery 6/7/17 and am recovering right now and i really cant believe i put it off as long as i did . I expected to feel so much pain and have felt such little pain that i cant believe i didnt do this years ago . They have to give you the possible complications but this surgery has become so routine that very few people have any issues . Different people have different pain and im thankful my pain was basically non- existent . Since i had the anterior and have hardly any restrictions, i have had no problems getting up from any chairs, cars,my bed or the toilet.We also have a two story house and have no problems going up and down . Im using my walker because it makes it so much easier to walk. Everybody i talked to that had this done also told me they should have done it way earlier . The only thing i worried about was infections so i followed the sugeons instructions perfectly . If you make the wrong movement dont worry your hip will let you know pretty quickly . I never heard of any foot drop even after watching about 200 videos and researching this for over a month so your probably ok on that one . Dont look back , i did and was barely able to go anywhere except work due to not being able to walk more than a very short distance without pain and clunking and clicking in my hip . Even now using a walker, my joint moves like butter . Good Luck and follow the surgeons instructions , they were very accurate with the info .

I had posterior (mini -approach) just over four weeks ago and was walking unaided by two weeks post op and allowed to drive from that time. I still have some restrictions but hope they will be lifted when I see my surgeon in two weeks for 6 week post op check. I carry a folding cane in my handbag so that if I get tired or the ground is uneven I can unfold it - more for safety than really needing it to walk. The very best thing about this surgery is the fact that the hip pain disappears immediately following the procedure, the post op soreness and stiffness takes a while to settle but when you think what has actually been done the healing is incredible. Good luck.

I love hearing these recovery stories. I am so looking forward to this surgery. @cssgregg1 just like you I waited, with the pain, for ten plus years. Crazy. I will have the second one done before my pain escalates like this right one has. Surgery August 16th.

I had posterior (mini -approach) just over four weeks ago and was walking unaided by two weeks post op and allowed to drive from that time. I still have some restrictions but hope they will be lifted when I see my surgeon in two weeks for 6 week post op check. .
Thanks for this information! May I ask what is a mini posterior and what were and are still your restrictions? I have two standard poodles and am bending, kneeling and squating dozens of times every day for their care and training. That doesn't count all the rest of the bending etc I do. So what would your type surgery mean for me? Thanks for your help!

[QUOTE="cssgregg1, I never heard of any foot drop even after watching about 200 videos and researching this for over a month so your probably ok on that one . [/QUOTE]

Thanks for responding! I had never heard of it either but the doctor had me sit in his office and watch a video on risks. Afterward he explained the problem and said due to my age (71) I was more at risk of nerve damage not healing.

Just an update , i had my 2 week follow up appt with my surgeon and everything is looking just fine . I stopped using the walker and started using a cane yesterday without any pain . My surgeon also said i dont have to do any rehab. I am able to walk with my cane with no problems or pain . I just have a slight limp if i walk without the cane and dont notice any limp with the cane. I was told to use the cane about two more weeks then i will be finished with it . I went back to work this week ( very light computer repair work with my son helping me and only 25 hours ) and had no issues, no pain and i was taking my percocet as prescribed about 3-4 times a day . The last couple days i weaned it down to 1-2 per day and as of tomorrow i will stop taking them . I thought i had staples on my suture but he had just used permabond that super glues it together . I got the surgical pad off today so now i can take a regular shower . I have been able to do all the exercises with no pain or swelling . I still cant believe all ive been able to do in just 2 weeks . Im also no longer getting tired and the dr released me to do pretty much everything except exercise on my stationary bike and just said do what you want but listen to my body and to stop if it hurts . I am amazed with this surgery and hope my posts helps someone else with theirs.

@TauraB the wait is finally over! Best of luck tomorrow and wishing you an uneventful and speedy recovery.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Bye bye hip pain.
See you on the recovery side, @TauraB.
Healing hugs coming at you.:friends:

Hi @TauraB Welcome to this forum it is so helpful and supportive and all the best for your treatment. Just wanted to add something about your concerns with foot drop. When my daughter was 20 she was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis this involved an 8 hour surgery to fuse and plate her lumbar spine followed by 3 months in a body cast. In fact she had to have the surgery twice as the surgeon was not happy with the plating after a few days, apart from the usual surgical risks the main concern the surgeon had for her was that of foot drop due to nerve damage, despite 2x 8 hour ops she was fine and 18 years later thankfully continues to be. I think any surgery that potentially involves the nerves from spine to foot could result in this problem but in all the research I have done about hip surgery I have never seen this listed as a major concern I am sure everything will be good for you.

Hi @TauraB
Best wishes on your surgery today. The worst is almost over...you'll soon be onto your new life without the pain.
Hoping your recovery goes well. Don't forget we're here to encourage and cheer you on from the sidelines.
Update us when you're able :flwrysmile:

Hi all - I apologize for not updating everyone sooner and thank you all for your kind wishes. Bonesmart stopped notifying me of posts long ago and when I would look, nothing showed. So sorry!

My THR surgery was postponed as my thumb joints were so painful I knew walkers and grabbers were not going to be useable. So they were treated with PRP injections 18 Days ago. Recovery is 4-8 weeks. There were other dental and medical issues I've been addressing. But my hip pain is increasing as are life limitations because PRP requires abstinence from all NSAIDs and the rainy season is here!

In the meantime I attended the pre surgery class and learned a lot. I also consulted a different surgeon who wants to try cortisone injection next. Will be seeing him again soon hopefully...he does a more modified posterior that sounds less traumatic...in the small scheme..than the doc who was going to do a huge incision and cut 4 muscle groups.

If you hover over your name on the right of the black bar above, a menu will show. You can go to alert preferences or alerts and see if the information is correct. Sometimes I have to recheck a box or two.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom