• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

KarriB

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
I’m glad you have confidence in your TKR recovery even with a bit of discomfort. I had pain when walking or standing until I started a walking regimen 2 years ago. Now I walk with no pain in my TKR at all. I’m not an exercise fanatic, but walking has definitely helped my TKR.

NightQuilter

post-grad
Country
It sounds like things are continuing to go well for you, especially with your new exercise protocol. Hope the injections continue to give you enough relief to delay the right's replacement. Hugs to that little fellow!!

OP
OP
jaschembra

jaschembra

post-grad
Country
Good news... I’ve really felt like I’ve been moving right along since adding the senior strength classes each week. So much so, I started helping trim outside for hubby and was riding 2 days a week. This week I rode 3 days!

However, now I have the good and bad. The good? “It could have been a whole lot worse!” And... I protected my knees and neither one of them hit the ground. :) :-) (:

I was riding my horse at some friends house and went to canter and he went into a full-fledge bucking situation! I rode out like 6 of them, but knew I was losing my balance and couldn’t get him to stop so I concentrated on getting close to the ground, clearing him and not hurting my knees (especially my bionic guy). I ended up spending 3 nights in the hospital to get the pain managed and make sure my internal blood from a gigantic hematoma had stopped. The hematoma is on my left hip/flank/fanny and I’ve broken 6 ribs on the left (I fractured 3 ribs, on the left, 5 years ago, but these are different ones) . They were all in alignment so it’s just a healing process. I’m on the recliner for the night and going forward. That rolling into bed and out was the most painful so I’m giving that up lol! Last time, 3 ribs took me over 3 months to heal so I’m taking this 1 day at a time and not expecting much for at least 6 weeks. My patience panties are on!
And yes, I’m making sure to do my breathing exercises to avoid pneumonia. :)

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Oh my, I’m so sorry! I’m glad you weren’t hurt even worse, but wow, you’ve got a bunch of injuries! :console2: Yay for managing to protect your knees!

Do you know what upset your horse?

I watched my daughter slide off a horse once. The pasture was close to a country road and a truck went by and must have spooked the horse and his movements unseated her. She hung on as she slid off to the side and then she finally let go and dropped to the ground as he was still moving. She did not land on her feet, but she was ok. There was nothing I could do from where I was, not that I had any experience with horses anyway. She was either high school age or early college, I can’t remember.

Take care! :console2:

NightQuilter

post-grad
Country
Yikes! That had to be so frightening … and now the aftermath of healing. My biggest fear since my hips and knees was a fall. Covered that one 2 years ago when hiking. It is amazing you were able to "save" your knees from impact - I have visions of a graceful gymnastics move executed with a score of 10 that saved them! Thank good ness for the option of a recliner. Good luck with those ribs.

sistersinhim

Country
Bless your heart! Praise God it wasn't worse than it was. I know you are one sore puppy! You will be getting lots of prayers from your BS friends! I'm like Jockette, do you know what spooked your horse?

OP
OP
jaschembra

jaschembra

post-grad
Country
@Jockette and @sistersinhim I had trailered for the first time this year, he was excited from that, from being in a new environment, from playing with the cows... if I was going to canter, I could have gotten off him and lunged him first to make sure he didn’t have any silliness in him etc but I didn’t. I think he had some built up energies going on, he is only 10 and that is still young. All I know is, it took me a long time to get back on and ride confidently after the 3 ribs due to the painful recovery and after the knee due to fear of hurting the knee if I fell so... I’m not 100% of my future with horses. I’ll come to that road when I get there.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mitzi107
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom