Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

It's such a catch-22. The doctors and physicians assistants and physical therapists are trained well and know more than most patients do about how the body works and heals. We trust them because they know more than we do and they give us some rough guidelines of what to expect. I wonder, however, if some also become a little removed from the nurturing the patient needs. They see so many patients day after day, and hear the same complaints and worries, and then "magically" at 6 months, or 10 months or 12 - maybe even at 18 months, all but a small percentage of patients have better use of their knees than they did before the surgery. They see in their practices that time makes it better - so that's what they tell us. If only, they would let us know from the outset that it will take so long! Maybe they are afraid we won't have a needed surgery if we know.
 
Glad to hear that your OS does not seem too concerned, even though it must be really frustrating to be taking so long. I actually think my knee felt better two or three weeks ago than it does now. Maybe because I am doing more but I just wish for whole days of not feeling it. People often ask me if I wish I had done it sooner, if it's amazing, if' it's better than before, etc. I think they are taken aback when I say "no" or "not yet." A mind game is spot on . . .
 
@kmak81230 Yes... I am "glad" I had it done right now only because I'm glad I'm halfway done with fixing badly arthritic knees. But I am glad when there is something I might do and I feel the bone/bone in my natural knee, but I don't in my bionic knee. Once this low level pain is gone, I'm sure I'll be jumping for joy. Not too high of course :rotfl:
 
I am not yet glad I had it done. And mine is a partial, which means it most likely won’t last the rest of my life like yours. So,yay, I will get to do all this again someday. :blackcloud:It will not be worth it for me if/when after all this difficult recovery I develop arthritis in the other compartments of the same knee. I don’t remember being told that possibility before surgery.
 
@Jockette That’s basically what happened to me 1.5 years after my partial. I had a patella femoral PKR. I kept having pains afterward and they finally went back in and found huge torn cartilage in my “good joint” left behind. Supposedly fixed that with Microfracture surgery but had problems ever since and finally after 6 years had a revision.

My next knee I’m going straight for a TKR even though they say I’m just bone on bone under my knee cap like my other one. Wish I had gone straight to the TKR in the first place.
 
My next knee I’m going straight for a TKR even though they say I’m just bone on bone under my knee cap like my other one. Wish I had gone straight to the TKR in the first place.
I had a Partial (PKR) that went well and lasted for 11 active years before I had to have it revised to a total (TKR). In spite of the good performance of my PKR, I also chose to go straight to a TKR when my other knee needed replacing.
 
@flyaway79 If/when you have your other knee done read the consent form carefully to be sure you get the TKR you want and not another partial because the surgeon just couldn’t bear to take out the good parts. That happened to chrisknee on here. (I forget her thread title)
 
@Jockette Oh no, this surgeon has already said he wouldn’t do anything but a full TKR because of all the problems I’ve had with this revision surgery. He said my next one will be way easier than this one has been. I like how he thinks. Just wish I had had the full TKR to begin with :shrug:
 
@flyaway79 I wish I’d had the full also, but I was never offered it and didn’t think to ask for it, in my innocence and ignorance.

I would have written to you on your thread but I couldn’t find it. I did look a bit for it.

@jaschembra I apologize for getting off topic on your thread. I usually try not to do that.
 
I wish I’d had the full also, but I was never offered it and didn’t think to ask for it, in my innocence and ignorance.
I think that many of us make mistakes the first time around. I was told that I was "too young" for a knee replacement when I first needed it. I believed my surgeon and I waited for 9 long, painful years.
I know much better now, but I didn't then.
 
@Celle And knowledge is power, right?

When we don’t know, we trust the ones we think do know.
 
...and I’ve always told my husband - if I’m in an accident and need any knee surgery, don’t let them do anything unless it’s a total knee replacement (since that is in my future - was hoping it would have already been done, but oh well)!

@Jockette no problem at all :)
 
@jaschembra we plod along but we get there. Over the last 2 months I have had to drive a manual car 8 hours a day, 2 days in a row each week because, well, I had to, it’s my job. I had a fair bit of pain and swelling at the end of each day and the 2 days and it took 2 days to settle. Last week and this week - poof! - like magic the swelling is slight and pain is minimal after my work days.
So here I am just past 10 months and still making decent improvements. I guess my OS was right with his 18 months, even 2 years recovery prediction.
You will get there too
 
It won't happen every day as I can't just walk out my front door and take this baby for a ride; however, I'm going to start implementing this ride into my recovery when I can (going into winter, but hey, Black Friday in the states only comes once a year lol). Notice the pedals are in front of the seat post - riding this bike was nearly like sitting on my recumbent bike. @sistersinhim pic for you. :)
Just noticed in this pic - you can see some of the slopes I have to walk on around here!

[Bonesmart.org] New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<
 
Hey, it came in two days early. What a sweet ride! I know you will enjoy it! I see your slopes. That's an extra workout, for sure! The weather down here has been so good for the end of November, that I've been doing yard work and not taking time to ride. Hopefully, we can make it camping this weekend and do some riding then.

When you first ride, be careful to not overdo it. It is really easy to do! Before you know it, you've done a few miles and then have to come back. Your knee will probably fuss at you, if you do!
 
Just hanging out, getting through each day, checking off the list for the month of December and everything that comes with it....

@sistersinhim I love your knew profile pic of kitty cat.

I didn't post a 11 month update as there hasn't been much change. Each day I hope/pray for less swelling of my knee joint and it doesn't happen (that is where my pain is coming from). Darn.
I'm approaching that 1 year mark and it's not going to be as magical as I've hoped for but I'm still holding out hope. "Santa, I've really been a good girl this year!"

My 1 year follow up at the OS is Jan. 4. I fully expect him to take X-rays and tell me everything looks good and it just takes time.
But I have questions as to why does my body keep swelling? Are there any tests besides an x-ray that can be done to make sure there aren't any underlying issues (I had x-rays of a foot once and they showed nothing, but an MRI showed 2 fractures)? I have low level pain with every step I take - and no, it's not phantom pain (he mentioned this back in Sept.)! I know it's the inflammation - I have the exact same pain in both knees with the bionic knee missing the bone/bone pain. Yes, my frustration is showing... I try to keep it in check most of the time. :)
 
You do a remarkably good job of keeping your disappointment and frustration in check. I hope there is some other test that could show if you have an underlying issue. Your OS will know what those might be. And if your OS doesn’t agree to look further into what’s happening with your knee, it might be time to consider finding another OS, a revision specialist, for a second opinion. If you were seeing progress, however small but definite improvement, I’d say stay the course. But if your gut suspects something wrong... check it out.

And if Santa doesn’t know you’ve been a good girl, the old elf is off his game! :santawave:
 
@jaschembra, my avatar is Booboo. She was my oldest at 21.6 years old and had a stroke, or something like that, Friday and I had to put her down. It still hurts. I thought I heard her meowing this morning. She was always my favorite.

I'm over 1.5 years out from my tkr and I still have some pains, and even zingers, at times. My implant wasn't an uncemented one, but I have had 5 previous surgeries on it, so lots of damage inside. Could that be some of the problem with your pain? Your OS did tell you that it would be longer than normal for your healing, so I pray that's all it is and everything is OK with you. Did your OS tell you why he used that particular implant?

I think it's a really good idea to get those xrays to make sure your knee is doing fine. Have you tried taking Tumeric/Curcumin? Also, black pepper is a natural anti-inflammatory. If you can stomach that, try it, too. Unfortunately, I'm still taking half doses of Diclofenac. Without them the rest of my body, plus my new knee, is just way too painful.
 
Thanks @SusieShoes

@sistersinhim i too take turmeric combined with pepper every morning. I really think it helps, as that one had benefits I missed when I stopped it prior to surgery. I’ve been taking my Meloxicam (nsaid) as well. I take 2 arthritis Tylenol in the evening and I am sooooo sooooo thankful that I get a good 8 hours of sleep. Only waking sometimes when I change positions. He did say it would take longer. He said he likes to use that type of implant on his younger patients - with the tibia part having the screws and such - it really appears that it will be going nowhere! No cement to crumble down the road. I’m sorry to hear about your fur baby. They provide such unconditional love.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom