TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

This journey is long and slow is it not? I too have some IT band issues but I am hoping time will take care of it! Please continue to be gentle with yourself so that when your extension comes you have not aggravated something else!

I'm happy for you. You're always so quietly thoughtful and determined, and you have really progressed on the bending! That bend is fully functional. The next step would be for you to sit on your heels.

About extension... my PT guy told me that when my left knee finally reached 0 extension, the pain I was feeling on the front medial side of the knee would go away. He said because the hamstrings were short, my knee could not "lock" as normal knees do upon standing, and that this placed strain on other tendons and muscles. I don't know if he was full of it or what, but... when Lefty got to 0 extension, that is when the pain on the front/side of the knee went away. So maybe he was onto something. :chinstroke:

I also find massaging my scars beneficial. They feel less tight as a result. At least it feels good. :)

Yes, @Canada35 one must be careful when we start feeling better as I have learned along the way. I received 2 IT band stretches today so I'm happy to incorporate them into my routine. Might as well call us all Gumby with as much stretching that we must do during this recovery.

@SusieShoes sounds good about the magic zero. Funny how every knee is different - you, "front medial side" and me, "front lateral side" Yes, I am very happy with the bend but I don't ever, never, ever plan on sitting on my heels lol

Just returned from PT and while we were discussing the IT band stretch I demonstrated the stretch my dr showed me that caused such pain 1 week ago. Guess what! I was able to show her that stretch without any pain. I was kinda speechless but happy!

9 months have passed...

Little, itsy, bitsy changes... but I have hope. Hope that some day my swelling and pain will leave.

PT is definitely helping. I no longer have the stinging/burning, painful area below the knee at the patella tendon. It has been rubbed away! Those first couple visits were painful during tissue massage on top of that tendon and at the bottom of my scar, but now she can do it as hard or harder and no pain.

My extension is getting better as well. Cold, walking in... I was a 3 on Thur. and 2 weeks prior, I was a 9
Sorry, I kinda like numbers. All I know is - as extension gets better, the easier it is for me to stand and walk.

Swelling (the band/clamp) doesn't take long to come on when I'm up and about, but I still feel that will eventually get to be less or take longer to come on. I'm just slow! :)

And here is the "icing on the cake"! I went for my first trail ride post TKR. My husband went with me as my insurance - my biggest concern was being able to get on from one of the large boulders (I can't get on from the mounting block yet - I use the raised patio at home). He was there to make sure my horse stood still, but all went well!! Hubby then went for his own hike. A friend and I rode for 1 1/4 hours. To dismount, I slide down, and I didn't feel as bad as I have felt in the past after riding an hour! Yippee!!!!!

So good to hear of your progress! I too found standing and walking easier, and for longer periods, when my extension got better. It really makes a difference, but it can't be rushed.

How wonderful you could ride for so long. That must have felt so good!

Happy 9th month Kneeversary!!! Sounds like you are doing really well! Kneerah for the trail ride :horseriding:- so glad you did so well. :yahoo:

@jaschembra, you are my *turtle* role model, lol. I'm so glad to hear you now feel as though you have turned a recovery corner and can finally breathe a sigh of relief; phew! So much of this journey resides in our attitude, eh? Your flexion is enviable to me and I'm sure your extension will improve....slowly, of course!

Yeah for the long ride, I am sure you know this , make sure you work to strengthen the leg muscles, I try to get to gym every tuesday and thursday, biking, elliptical, leg machines(lightly) and some arms , back and chest work.

R Partial Knee Replacement 11/28/16

That is awesome! I am so happy for you! Horse people are like dog people. There is nothing quite like that feeling when you are in the saddle! :horseriding:

Good to hear that extension is getting better. I too have the grip/clamp after being on my feet but like you, I feel it will dissipate with time and flexibility!

Here's to progression, however big or small!

Yes, @mwetzel394 I do pool work 3 x week and have added in some additional leg work. I definitely have some leg strengthening that still needs to get much much better and will in time I'm sure.

Pretty sure I have an "awe-ha" moment with horse riding. At home, I add in trotting and cantering. Next day inner thighs are sore and day of, knees are sore. After the trail ride of only walking, knees feel better (natural knee is a whee bit more sore than bionic so I'm happy with that), inner thighs are fine - but my upper thighs, both front and back are really sore. Must be from the hills. Need some major stretching!

@Pheebs52 you are so funny! "turtle role model" :) Love it!

It sounds like you're really doing well! I'm jealous. I can sure understand where trotting would leave you sore. That's a lot of knee work. I haven't been able to ride a horse in over 30 years. Take another nice easy ride for me!

Lordy may I've been having zingers on and off for the last 24 hours!! Yippee, because they are right at my last numb spot. Also, today there has been the least amount of heat in my knee yet.
Hopeful :yes!:

Fingers crossed. I still have a degree of numbness down the outer of my left knee. Doesn’t bother me generally. I still get the odd zingers in various spots.

@DebM yep, I re-read Josephine's story on her numb spot last night and she actually got the feeling back at year 5. With as many zingers as I had Fri/Sat. I do know my nerves are definitely not dead! It doesn't bother me either, I just feel I must be really careful when I shave that area.

Yea for zingers!! And for walking, trotting and cantering. It's good to see you making progress!

Had my 4 week follow-up at the OS yesterday since Patella Tendinitis and IT Band syndrome was diagnosed. I told him the Patella Tendinitis seems to not be an issue any longer. The deep tissue massage broke up scar tissue or something, but the stinging and burning is gone. Yippee!! I'm still funky on the lateral side and when he pressed, it was sore and he said that's still the IT band. He said, continue stretching as it rubs over the bone where the implant is. I also said my extension is getting better and that is helping, especially when standing still. I asked for more PT as I said and he agreed, it is helping. I'm gaining more strength in the leg as well. I asked about the other knee as far as what would I/he need if I decide to set a date... He suggested I at least wait until this left one is settled and doing good. He still thinks I'm going to notice a difference in the natural knee when my bionic knee becomes my dominant knee. We'll see. I would sure like that to happen. So for now, I continue on this journey and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be that typical year recovery person. Oh, and I did ask... will the day ever come when this band/clamp feeling goes away for good? He said it should get better. Typical OS reply lol. :)

Get better? I should hope it does! At least your patella tendinitis is no longer giving you problems. You can now focus on the IT Band. We need to tame that and get your extension to where you want it to be. :praying:

My Lefty was a stubborn knee. My OS said Lefty would stop hurting and be good eventually, to just keep at it. Interestingly, Lefty stopped hurting at about the same time his extension finally got to 0. Not sure if the two things are connected, but maybe. The knee joint is a team effort, and lagging members of the team affect the whole knee.

You just had to be the lucky soul to draw the one-year recovery straw, didn’t you? :sorry: Your positive attitude is amazing. I would be throwing things, possibly at my OS, by now. :snork:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562