TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

Amazingly, I am still getting mild zingers in my new knee occasionally. I just know that there is still some nerve reconnection going on in there! The old knee still has many small numb places.
 
@sistersinhim it is amazing isn't it! We can get used to things hurting and then healing or getting better and being done. You have had multiple surgeries to recover from but other than a hysterectomy and some feet surgeries this knee takes the cake. I am amazed at how whacked out the muscles, tendons, and ligaments get during this recovery. And yes, the nerves too.

On another note - my local knee twin and I visited our water aerobics friend @Kayaknlady today who has just passed 2 weeks and she is exceeding any of our expectations. She is the energizer bunny to our tortoise pace and she's a 70 year young bilateral!!
 
Great update! I’m sure I also drew the one year recovery straw, if not even longer. But it’s coming along!
 
I still take paracetamol each day - 1000mg at night, sometimes once during the day also ( usually just on the 2 day’s I work).
I think it it pretty safe to take providing you don’t exceed the recommended guidelines.
 
@Celle , I've stolen it! :)

[Bonesmart.org] New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<
 
10 month Update

I do feel like I am improving. It may be at a snails pace or the turtle of course, but I do believe it's happening.
I'm on my 2nd go round of PT since diagnosed with the Patella Tendinitis and IT Band Syndrome because I have been improving. I go 2 x a week. The tendinitis is no longer an issue and I'm primarily stretching the IT Band, getting the IT band insertion area by the knee massaged, stretches for extension and building strength. My swelling seems to be getting less and the pain/discomfort I get seems to all be in soft tissues and may just be a tad bit less! :yes!: I can get a -2 extension when first measured and 0 after I'm warmed up and stretched out. Zero extension is getting closer and I know in time it will be there! Flex is not an issue and feels good. I'm 124 when first measured and 128 after warming up.

Maybe 3 months ago, I was able to skip a day here and there of the medicines I take (acetaminophen & Meloxicam); however, for the last few months I've had to take acetaminophen (usually 1300 mg) every day and I've taken the Meloxicam too. I decided the Meloxicam really wasn't doing anything so I stopped it recently. Just yesterday, I didn't feel the need to take any acetaminophen and I'm hoping not to take any tonight.

Could this be a new trend? Could this mean something else that I'm almost afraid to say out-loud
:wave::fingersx:

I'm going to be one of those Bone Smarties that has a successful TKR even if it does take me a long time to report it! :)

Patience Patience Patience... and my gratitude journal when I can't find my patience and positivity!
 
Last edited:
What a sensible attitude you have! And you are improving, that's what counts! You told us that uncemented implants take longer to heal, so you're not stressing about it. Just think, you'll never have to worry about the cement breaking up! How blessed you are!
 
My knee-twin and I each took a photo at the gym today so I could measure us lol... Here is my pic. I wonder if anyone wondered what we were doing.
:spin:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<
    IMG_0052.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 242
Great picture -- that is some fine looking flexion I'd say. Sounds like you are doing really well at 10 months - something for the rest of us to aspire to. :loveshwr:
 
Looks like a Superior heel slide to me. What looks so easy, can be such hard work. Time to make a date with that second knee so you’ll be mobile come summer. Your knee Twin is waiting too. You have worked so hard:yay:
 
I hope you are not getting too bored at the 9 month soiree, waiting for the rest of us to arrive :heehee:
 
@jascembra - I think we have the same exercise shoes! Are yours Ascics? I've had mine for a while, though. :)
 
@Knees4Me lol, yes, they are Asics. In fact, they are my 2nd pair of the same model. Once I find a model in a tennis shoe, I typically stay with it. I wear Superfeet inserts in them though as I have suffered years past with plantar fascia issues and have textbook heel spurs. :) As I like to say, I have high maintenance feet. I can never go barefoot. My feet may have helped contribute to my knees over the years.

Happy 10 month knee-versary Canadian twin!! We are in the final quarter of this 1 year journey. I feel we are both going to continue healing in 2018.
 
Just a note since my 8 weeks of the additional PT just ended and my OS wanted me to let him know how I was...
I emailed him all of the positives that I mentioned back on my 10 month update with an increase in the flex (official measurement last week was 0 extension and 130 - however, those numbers are after I was warmed up/stretched... I'm still 2 on the extension but I know it will come) and my pain is definitely getting less while standing. My negative reported to him was the pain while walking and how it comes on within minutes. The band and also, the tight claw I get when I've been walking more than 15 min. or so. I also said it was frustrating and depressing. Was there anything else to do/try other than giving it time? I'm sure I already knew his answer but I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else.
He wrote back and said, "I think time is the key. I realize it is hard to put up with but I usually see the pain and tightness work out with time"
I thanked him and said I would see him on Jan. 4, 2018 for my "1 Year" follow-up appointment. Wow - it's not that far away.

I sure hope one day I can come back to my pages here and LOL at myself for being worried, stressed, concerned, depressed, etc. And actually, that should say... Some day, I will read these pages and LOL at myself because I will feel so great! :) Anyone ever tell you how much of a mind-games recovery this is?
 
I think the mind games in recovery are the professionals who place unrealistic goals and time frames on us and when we don’t measure up ( literally and figuratively) we worry, doubt and feel like failures. Then, at 10 months post op we are told, it just takes time. :banghead:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom