TKR New thread for a new knee !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, Yes absolutely 1Elisea I have got through a whole series of Monk so far :).
Well done Silver stick with bonesmart and you will never be alone in your recovery, it seems that any time day or night there will be someone on here. As for your kitties I know exactly what you mean, my cats know there is something "different" about me and they do not "knead" my repaired knee. Keep positive, it helps.
Thanks for your words BJ, hope you too are progressing well, its certainly a long journey and its good to know that none of us have to do it alone.:friends:
Love to all
Viv xx
 
Happy birthday Viv! Sounds like you've been busy with parties and stuff and that's great! How's your knee feeling these days? Are you sleeping better?
 
Glad to hear from others befote me. You all sound like u r doing
Well and that is great! I had mine yesterday and they
did a nerve block so no pain so far. They get me up
This morning after bladder catheter comes out
no hip pain yet. This is an amazing way to do it.
Keep me posted! Those ahead of me r my inspiration!
And cannot wait to see my cats! I was a cat sandwich the night
Before surgery. They knee i was scared.
Hang in there everyone!
Silver

Great news Silver and welcome to the other side! Why don't you start your own thread so we can follow your progress?!
 
Hey bassplayer, thanks for the Happy Birthday lol, dont like getting another year older but cant do much about that except keep fighting the wrinkles :).
Sleeping is still a problem, I fall asleep and then wake up because I have moved in my sleep and disturbed my knee. Its a long old journey and I am having to learn patience since I am such a pro-active person. Its soooo hard to sit down and rest.
I have people over for dinner tomorrow so will be feeling a little more back to normal since I will be cooking roast chicken. My daughter will help me and I will sit down when I can but it will help me feel less of an invalid.
How are you doing now, are you able to pick up your guitar yet ? My son is out rehearsing in his studio today, my daughter is out with her friend ice skating, my husband is at work and I am alone with my cats. Bliss......:yes:, time for a little pampering I think.
Love to all,
Viv xx
 
No, no bass playing yet. It is a heavy instrument and I cannot possibly set it up without help at this stage.

Have you tried taking pain meds right before you go to sleep? It happens to me to sometimes that I get into a bad position in my sleep, but if I take meds right before dropping off it can help.

Good luck with your dinner tomorrow! Nice to have friends and family around. Let them do most of the work! ;)
 
Its soooo hard to sit down and rest.
I have people over for dinner tomorrow so will be feeling a little more back to normal since I will be cooking roast chicken. My daughter will help me and I will sit down when I can but it will help me feel less of an invalid.
It does feel good to do stuff, but be sure to ask for and accept help.
 
Hey all, yes I had lots of help for dinner yesterday, and I was happy for someone else to wash up for me too.
Bassplayer, I do take my meds before I go to sleep but I dont know about you but my knee feels heavier at night when I am lying down and I do have to fidgit around a lot to get it into a good position. I have no problem dropping off but every night I wake after around 3 or 4 hours. I am getting used to it though and I seem to just take it in my stride now and since its going to happen I may as well accept it as part of the healing process.:shrug:
Had physio today, they are really pleased with my progress which is a great confidence booster, how are you all doing with your physio ? i have to still work on my extension as its not so good as it could be but all in all my leg is a lot straighter than it was before. Trouble is, since I lost 2 inches in height with my arthritis my right leg is now roughly 2 inches longer than my left so today walking around Sainsburys on my crutches (just for a few bits) I found myself walking on the ball of my left foot to balance myself out. Seems each day brings something else to sort out lol.
Hope you all have a peaceful night with as much sleep as is possible.
Love to all,
Viv xxx
 
Yeah, I had a leg length discrepancy after my first TKR. Now I need to get used to having legs of the same length! :)
 
Isn't it strange how you compensate for the discrepancy? I have to say that when I was walking around the shop yesterday it was my left leg (unoperated) that was causing me pain and not my new knee, gives me much hope for the future !
Hope you are doing ok with your physio bassplayer, had a lovely massage yesterday and a beautiful straight knee afterwards :dancy:.
Catch you all later,
love to all Viv xx
 
Glad to hear you have been partying Viv, Happy Belated Birthday. Nice to have friends for dinner too - I think I would have been asking them tp stop off at the Takeaway! Keep up the good work, this sleep business is a real downer, but just part of the journey I guess.:sleep:
 
Coniglietta, how is your knee now, I'm curious cos you had it done a bit longer than me? I'm going through a very frustrating time right now with it all I keep making stupid mistakes that I shouldn't and I am old enough to know better. Xxxxx
 
Nana x
Both my knees are progressing at different stages. Both my legs were bent, unable to straighten them due to OA and I had my right one done first, I still have pain on inner side of knee, not debilitating like before but its niggling me in the back of my mind. I am afraid I do just get on with things so have been putting off getting it checked out. I had this pain before my op, so I don't really know why it hasn't gone away. Still I am one of those (prob like yourself) that just gets on with things and I have no real pain to speak of.
This afternoon I went to the cinema with my husband, the car park is a little bit away from it and before the walk was excruciating for me but today I was walking and I skipped up the steps too.
I don't think "people like us" will ever forget how debilitating things used to be for us, a true disability in more than one sense of the word. I never forget how things used to be for me and I thank God every day that I am out of pain.
I understand it can take a lot longer than we realise to fully heal and yes we forget sometimes and do a bit more than we should. After all we are women lol and we never take it easy do we ?
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Conglietta, you saying about that pain down the side of your knee/leg. I am a bit worried because the pain I went on about before the op down the right side of my knee is still there not as bad I don't think but I am on morphine so it's difficult to know really what the level is truly at. It's ok until I have to try and straighten it.

No this has not been easy nor was I expecting the outcomes I'm going through right now. I can't wait for the post op pain to go so I can feel how it's going to really be x x x
 
Nana x
The outside of both my knees are numb, apparently this is to do with the actual cutting procedure during the op.
Its really early days for you though so hang in there and take whatever meds you need to get through this. With my first op I was on the pills for a long time and was on such a cocktail for: pain, inflammation, insomnia, depression and constipation that it resulted in me throwing up everything inside me. :sick: It was then that I decided no more pills.
With my second I was only painkillers only and just for around 2 weeks. It was a lot easier with my second KR as I knew what to expect.
Take it easy, you will get there in the end.:SUNsmile:

Much love :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah thank you @Coniglietta, I am like you were on your first time around. I feel I'm going to rattle with all these blooming pills! My stomach sometimes feels so raw. I cannot take anti inflammatory pills cost of my asthma. However, I think the steroids will lessen the swelling and stiffness in the knee. There's a positive!!!!
Lovely to share with you and nice to know there really is another side to escape to when I'm better. At the moment I feel a bit in the doldrums as though I will never be right. But looking at a lot of the posts people seem to go through this stage xxxxx:angel: Thank you Coniglietta x x x
 
Nana you will be fine :SUNsmile:
Honestly no matter what you have to go through in order to get your life back is worth every minute, the worst is behind you now so relax into your healing process, its different for everyone but the outcome is always, always the same..........a painfree new lease of life !!:dancy:
:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom