Guest viewing is limited

TKR New thread for a new knee !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Viv, you should not be in this much pain. Give your GP a call and see if you can get something stronger to use for a while for your hip pain. You're going to need it more and more as you become more active.
 
Hi Viv,
Thinking of you and hoping that your hip feels better. I hope that you get some well deserved sleep tonight.
 
Ok, Thanks Jamie, perhaps I should do that....I just assumed it was part and parcel of healing but you are right. I cant exercise whilst in pain so when the world wakes up in Essex, I will ring my doctor.
Thanks for the advice.
Viv xx
 
Welcome to the Forum. I hope you find it as useful as I have.
 
Ok, Thanks Jamie, perhaps I should do that....I just assumed it was part and parcel of healing but you are right. I cant exercise whilst in pain so when the world wakes up in Essex, I will ring my doctor.
Thanks for the advice.
Viv xx

No---it is not part of the normal healing process---the pain meds, taken regularly, will help you and eliminate almost all of the pain---you should not be in much pain---if any---at all.
 
Hey all, yes I rang doctor first thing this morning and he suggested doubling my dose of tramadol from 200 mg to 400 mg and although it worked quietly it also sent me to sleep on the sofa ! So I hope I have not missed out on valuable sleep by dozing during the day lol. :skeptical:
On the brighter side, I was able to load and unload the washing machine, wash up a few things at the sink and walk up and down my garden for a bit. Which was nice.
I iced and elevated for the best part of the day and did little bending exercises as much as possible but honestly was out of it mentally :rolleyespink:.. (love these smilies).
Hope you are doing alright bassplayer whats the update on your own recovery, does it sting around the site of the wound ? and does it feel really stiff and tight ?
Catch you all later, love to all and a peaceful night too. :sleep:
Viv xx​
 
Viv,

DEon't worry about the napping, just catch sleep when ever you can. Everyone told me that you heal when you sleep no matter when it is.
 
I remember a time when I was a little boy that I absolutely hated to take naps! Now, I realize that naps are not a good thing, they are a great thing!

Nap all you want---it is your body shutting things off temporarily and allowing valuable energy to be channeled toward the healing of a TKR!

Nap all you want---your body needs it and you need it!
 
Hi Viv

Congratulations on your new knee and you sound as if you are doing very well. The tightness and stiffness you ask about is absolutely normal and you will experience this for quite some time. It feels as if you have a rubber band around your knee. As the time moves on the feeling will come and go but I warn you it does hang around for weeks/months - be prepared!!

Remember it is still early days for you, so take it easy and enjoy all those naps.
 
HI Vivien,
Welcome to the other side. I reckon the hip pain is just your body adjusting to the new corrected angles that your knee is now in. I fortunately had the opposite experience: with hip pain before TKR and non now after with the corrected leg/knee angles. You have a long journey ahead and patience is the key to success. Ice, Elevate, Meds on schedule. Heal then get strength. PT should not be anything more than uncomfortable or your just adding to your recovery time. Good Luck.
 
Hi viv, I'm glad to hear the the meds are now allowing you to sleep and nap! Two very precious things needed for recovery! We don't realize how out of kilter we are until we get new knees and our whole body has to adjust back to the correct way of operation! :) It's a good thing, just takes some time for adjustments! I hope you enjoy a wonderful day my friend!
 
Hi Viv, hope you are feeling better. I have hip/butt pain too but I recognise it as sciatica which I have had before. Unfortunately elevating my leg & straight leg raises make it worse ........ so am working round it. Seems like we went home on the same meds Paracetamol + Tramadol, four times a day. They don't reach the sciatic pain though because it's nerve pain which is different. I experienced it after my scope, I think it's all the pushing & pulling that triggers it. of course yours may be something different. Overall I am pleasantly surprised by how well things are going (& very grateful too the NHS). Have you had your first Physio app't yet? Mine is on Monday - so we shall see! I am becoming a Bonesmart Advocate, so few people in UK have heard of it, I think it should be recommended in the pre-op patient education package, along with Brugioni & Falkels book! Keep in touch, you're doing great;)
 
Hello all again, I will go to your thread bassplayer and have a good read ! Thanks to everyone for their kind words and reetpteet I know exactly what you mean when you say sciatica, its the very worst and raising my leg hurts me too, its a circle I feel I am walking around in. Pardon the pun lol....
I walked today without my crutches but my right leg is now straight and since I lost 2 inches in height due to arthritis in both knees, I feel that I am walking lopsided now so perhaps that has a lot to do with the hip pain as well.
It does not inspire me to relive this in a few months with my left knee but I will definitely have it done as I cant live as I am.
I too am advocating Bonesmart I am so grateful to have found this site.
My first physio is on Tuesday, I hope they are not disappointed with me as I cant get a lot of movement due to the swelling and inflammation.
Having staples/clips out on Thursday too.
Best of luck to everyone, my little neice made me a Get Well card with the words "Brave Aunty" on it, there is a pic of me with sticky up hair and a sticky up leg to match. She is only 3 lol, dont they brighten your day ?
Sleep well everyone - Viv xx
 
I too had hip pain on the same side as the tkr. I never asked about it as I figured it hurt because of all the pushing, pulling, and manipulations.
 
Hello beledi, hope you are much further along the recovery path than I am since you are two months ahead. Did the pain in your hip go away after a while ? I have had mine since the op - 7th June - but the tramadol seems to be working for me at the moment.
You are right when you say its all the pushing and pulling during the operation but its hard to be complacent when you are in so much pain. Still as I say, its under control now thank goodness.
Hope everyone else is doing well with their new shiny babies.
Love Viv xx
 
I am having hip pain and sciatica also. I did have issues with both those problems before surgery and was afraid they’d wake up after surgery. I’m hoping as I learn to walk better everything will straighten out and the pains will lighten up.
I had my right knee done 2/6 and as much as I did not want to go through that again I really had no choice. My left knee hurt so much that I was still just as disabled as before. This knee is coming along very well except for pain in my thigh that’s not letting up. Once that’s gone I’ll feel like I’m almost back to normal.

The card from your niece sounds so cute. Stuff like that really brightens your day. I still have the card my granddaughter made for me out – it makes me smile. :)
 
Hi Viv
I have just seen a post on Rita's thread about your hip pain and the medication that has been prescribed - they will certainly do the trick for getting a good nights sleep. I had to take them for Neuralgia pain and they certainly made me sleep - it also cleared up the Neuralgia, so all good!! I hope they do the trick for you. Keep well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom