Guest viewing is limited

New rider on the knee replacement train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Caryn I am also scheduled for surgery Jan 14 but know it will be a tkr. Good luck with your surgery, read all the info you can on this site. I have been reading for the last 7 weeks since found out my date. There is a lot of helpful info, let us know how things are going.
 
Somebody was asking about general anesthesia vs. Spinal.
I didn't have a choice. My dr. Does nerve blocks & general. I was worried about it. I had heard of people being confused, with hallucinations, etc., but actually it worked out fine. I think I did throw up once, but that was it.
 
I think it's really what your doctor prefers and also your personal situation. I was nervous about the spinal but it worked great for me and I'd do it again. Others had good results with the general.
 
Different preferences for different docs. I had the nerve block and spinal (AND a medial PKR) and was good to go home the evening of the day I had surgery. About 8 1/2 weeks out now, no setbacks to speak of, off narcotics very quickly, maintaining now on Tylenol three times a day (when I remember to take the afternoon dose, which in fact I should take right now) and performing superhuman feats like driving, walking, riding, housework and so on. I also knew going in that there was a chance I'd have to have a total but partial it is. I am very very pleased with the results so far. Scar is about 2.5 inches long. Holler at me if you have any questions specific to partials, not that I can compare with a TKR, but will be happy to share what I know. Or look at my thread. Longwinded, just like this post and me in real life.

I will add that I was very very fortunate in many ways-- GOOD small town surgeon, GOOD small town hospital, really good insurance, fair to good caregiver (it was rough at first for the DH but he got better at it), wonderful PTs and very few responsibilites while recovering. I am a RN so I arguably have superior knowledge of the mysterious ways of healthcare providers and dont take any (word we are not allowed to use on BoneSmart) off any of them. And I have been faithful (in my fashion) to the BoneSmart way of doing joint replacement recovery.

Stick around, folks here will take good care of you. I didnt know the proper way to elevate nor how much time to devote to icing until I got here. That stuff REALLY WORKS.
 
Thanks everyone! I have been reading non stop. Loving all the thoughts and suggestions from everyone and the Library!
A was given a cryo cuff today by a friend who had knee surgery last year. I am really excited about that. I think it will be a huge help!
Today was my final pre op appt. I have all my blood work, registration and stuff out of the way. I also went and talked with the PT folks for a bit. I did come home with a pair of crutches because we are still unsure if I will be having an osteotomy as well as the PKR (or even a TKR if that's what he determines is needed) and if I do have the osteotomy I will need them.
My surgery is the first one of the day, at 7:30, so I will need to be at the hospital by 6 a.m. I fully expect that will be a very sleepless night. Not much different really, as I have not been sleeping very well at all. Between not being able to get comfortable and my mind racing, it makes falling & staying asleep difficult.
I am really not that nervous about the surgery, I think because I just want it to be over and done with....I just want to do it!
I have also decided to go with a spinal and sedation. The nurses told me this morning that this is pretty much standard procedure for this operation now at my hospital, though I could opt for GA if I really wanted to. I like the sounds of the spinal and how it plays out afterwards.
 
Your mileage may vary, but my spinal and sedation was the best nap I ever took! If you are a coffee addict be sure to have someone sprinting to get you a cup of GOOD coffee as soon as you are out of recovery. The best hospital in the world can have lousy coffee.

The cryo cuff is a good thing to have. I was actually discharged from the hospital with a Breg Polar Care Cube and it has been a real blessing. I used it in bed, on bed, in a chair, and am still using it for several hours a day lots of days. BE SURE you have enough ice on hand--get a big bag and stash it in the freezer because inevitably your ice maker in your fridge will go on strike or you will find it just cant keep up. Also have some more portable way to ice because at some point you will be out and about and unable to get to your cryo cuff. Having a nice icing option like the alcohol/water in a gallon zip lock trick (in the BS library I believe) has saved me a lot of discomfort during doctor visits (mine and others' ) many times. I'd stash a couple in a little cooler and could be out all day if I had to.

We're cheering for you. (Edited to add: youre in Maine, you can just stick your knee up to a window in an emergency!)
 
Not long until you'll be on the other side of the forums !. I remember the anxiety and the anticipation and the excitement . Are you taking your laptop/tablet/phone into the hospital with you ?
 
@skyelark Yes! I've passed the 48 hours till mark, lol! I will be taking my phone with me, and I will be in contact with folks as soon as I am able. Still unsure if I will be in the hospital 1 or 2 nights. Dr said one for sure, after that we go by how I am doing.
Today I went and had an EFT & Reiki session. Was really an interesting expierence. I think the EFT will be very beneficial in helping me to remain calm and focused. What's EFT? Easiest explanation is: think acupuncture without the needles. Not sure how others feel about Homeopathic/Alternative treatments but I like to keep an open mind and think that all avenues are worth exploration. :) I have used some homeopathic treatments for years with great success, but this was my first time trying these 2 options.
As of right now I am pretty darn calm....had a lovely dinner with friends and family which was perfect. Tomorrow I will finish packing my bag and try my best to get a decent amount of sleep before having to be up at 4 a.m. I am not sure if I will sleep...but I can hope right!?
Again, thanks to all for the kind words of encouragement and advice. I will be thinking about the rest of you that are on this journey too. Best wishes to us all!!! :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom