Guest viewing is limited

TKR New left knee

Hi everyone

So I rested after my 'over did it day' in fact I had to rest it for 2 days. Just shows how easy it is to over do things.

It's now Saturday. I seemed to have overdone it again!! I had to sleep with leg elevated last night and take oromorph, the deep knee throb was that intense.

Above my knee is puffy and feels like it's bruised . The little lumps on my incision are also painful with a stinging feeling. Behind my knee is also painful now and down both sides if the knee.

I think I know what the main culprit is....going downstairs. I have also been pottering about the house a lot!

I therefore assume that I am using muscles, tendons and ligaments that have been rested for rather a long time and are now being stretched.

I will have yet another rest day and limit going downstairs the normal way and revert back to bad leg down first. This version causes me pain in my good knee!

I have also noticed that my knee flexion has improved again this week. This increase came with the increase in pain, which only ever occurs when actually sitting or lying down, never when standing or walking. I experience no pain at at all when doing this. So I then overdo it.

The other issue now is, because I walk normally with no stick/cane people don't think I have a new knee. It's only when sitting the pain kicks in. I will be sitting at work, when I go back, this situation is worrying me, as I look normal but with the intense pain no one can see!

I am really going to have to control myself in future and try not to worry about returning to work.
 
Rested all day, iced and elevated . Seriuosly fed up with this deep ache and the occasional hot sting.

Let's hope Sunday is a good day .
 
Unfortunately sometimes it takes days to undo overdoing it. :blackcloud:
 
@Jockette ...I think you are right, I am really annoyed with myself.

It sure is boring lying down with leg up ice packs and pain killers..i can't wait to be normal again. Trouble is I look ok and walk normally without a stick but inside, there's a lot of healing going on that no one, including me, can see. This healing is causing a very deep pain I can't shake off, not helped by me pushing it.

It's frustrating. I need to learn patience.

It's also tricky looking 'normal' with work, as my bosses mom had 2 TKR, on different dates, and of course she was fine after a month.
My job is sitting down all day, which is painful. I have a feeling i am going to get asked when I will be back. I am stressing myself out thinking about it! How daft.

I hope you are doing ok and your dry eye is feeling a bit better with the humidifier. Also that your knee is doing ok too.

X
 
You nailed it, Jockette. I just spent the past two days sleeping and resting to recover from going out for lunch and tidying up a bit.

Suzette, I take a cane (stick!) whenever I'm out of the house, even though I feel I can do without it. People are more careful around me and patient if I have a cane. Plus, it's handy for getting up and taking those first few steps after my knee is stiff from sitting. Maybe you could carry a stick to give your co-workers a visual cue that says you're not 100% recovered yet.
 
My knee still feels off if I sit for too long with my feet on the floor. It’s comfortable enough, as long as my leg it out a bit so it’s not st a 90 degree angle, until I get up, then I notice the discomfort.

I agree we look fine on the outside but we are not in the inside.

People who are healed from their replacements forget the timetable. Even I don’t always remember when I was able to do what, I just know it’s been a long difficult recovery and I’m not done yet.

I understand stressing about the future. I do not have a job but I can relate to all you feel about going back. Others’ expectations for us are so unreasonable!

I’m already stressing about my one year check up in March. My stomach tightens up when I think about it. I always feel I have to prove my progress. This part if recovery has shocked me. Any time I’ve been sick in the past and had a recheck with the doctor I never felt I had to prove that I was better. But with knee replacement that’s what it seems it’s all about. Like we have any control of how we heal. It makes me mad that they make us feel like this.
 
And thanks for asking about my eyes. They are not better yet. The humidifier runs constantly and the humidity is rising. Like overdoing it, my eyes got really bad and I think it will take time for them to recover.

My upper cheek sinuses have felt swollen with my eyes, so today I’ve been taking sinus medicine. The sinuses feel better. Maybe that’s more the issue than dry eyes. Who knows. Time will tell. My eyes have never felt this bad before.
 
I agree, a cane when you go out of the house is a good idea. Not only will it give you stability, but it’ll let others know you may not be 100% sure on your feet.

If work is a problem could your OS write a script saying how long you need to be off work? Mine wrote a script for me to return part time and another when I was cleared for full time. You’re right, even though the leg looks good there’s still a lot going on inside and I’m sure you’re still feeling the energy drain.
 
Been reading your posts, Suzette, and seems you are right on schedule with your healing. I am 6 months post up and experienced most of what you did....especially the depression! I found with this surgery the process of healing is so slow that you hardly notice any differences in pain, swelling,etc. Every positive step seems to take forever! I had been having a burning pain when sitting and standing up until about 2 weeks ago then suddenly realized that the burning was gone and much less painful. I think my knee just likes to be the center of attention!:heehee:.
Anyway, hang in there..it will get better and know that you are not alone! Congrats on new grandbaby....God's little gifts:angel:
 
Hi everyone
I am so sorry it has taken ages to get back to you all...now It will be a long one!

It been a bit hectic ..kids visiting with new born, with a French bull dog who still hadn't worked out what the new human is!

I agree, my knee is also centre of attention. I am constantly reminded of my new knee every minute of the day and half the night . It looks really good though, although the skin still looks purpleish.

Yesterday I had to go to my father in laws funeral. I lay down with leg elevated in back of my little car, and feeling a bit stressed at my husband driving it the 130 miles up to the north of England! Then had to drive back home again. I am used to being in control of driving !!

I was in a lot of pain. As soon as I stand , no pain. Sit down loads of pain. Doesn't matter what angle my knee is in either. I just don't understand why I have no pain when I stand?? You would think it would be the other way round.

Today I am in a lots of pain an 8/10 score. Obviously caused by yesterday.

I contacted my boss, my sick note or rather they're now called fit notes, runs out 28th Feb. That will be 10 weeks post op. I do not know if I get sick pay after 8 weeks though.

She said to get a fit note after the 28th that I can return to work with the restriction of working from home and with reduced hours , increasing hours each week. So a phased return.

I see my surgeon in a couple if weeks, so I hope I can get some positive feedback from him. I am hoping I do not see a registrar (trainee consultant).

I am also due to see my hip surgeon the same week. I still have pain on the right side, that has been there since the op in June 2015. Soft tissue damage , bursitis, femoral nerve damage...I have had numerous diagnoses to the burning pain. Then I had a steroid inj into the right gluteal tendon as they thought it could be tendonopathy. I was pain free for 2 months...it wore off and I have now been told to live with it as no more steroid inj. I complained hence the new appointment.

I also need to see back surgeon as the nerve block injections have worn off and the sciatica has returned..down the left leg. Also severe back pain from disc degeneration and stenosis.

So now I am getting concerned that I am stuck with the right hip pain , back pain etc plus possible on going left knee pain.

I know that it's daft to worry at this very early stage of recovery; I am now 7 weeks; but pain is so all consuming and worrying about paying bills and mortgage etc doesn't help.

I need to go to my new GP to discuss the pain relief I think! And the depression part of all this.

Thank you all so much for reading a very long load of text !!

I will now take my pain meds.

Thanks again xx
 
I’m sorry you have so much pain in so many areas!

I would call your surgeon’s office and tell them you definitely want to see the surgeon, not a trainee. You are paying the bill, you have the right to see who you want, especially with all the issues you want to discuss.

I also have found that emotional stress makes my knee feel worse, even for a far as I am in recovery, and you had a lot of that yesterday.

I agree with you that it strange that it hurts you more to sit than to stand and it would seem it would be the opposite. I wonder if it is a nerve in your spine that is being pressed and causing that. I have no idea if that’s true, just a thought. I also have back issues and they are hard to fix.

I hope you can have a restful day. :console2:
 
If you can pinpoint the pain our nurse, @Josephine may be able to help. It isn’t odd that you have no pain standing, it was just the opposite for me.
 
I am hoping I do not see a registrar (trainee consultant).
I think you will inevitably NOT see the consultant. He only sees new patients. However, if you ring his secretary and ask her can she make sure you are seeing him and not a junior, that might be possible. Also, when you get to the clinic, immediately you arrive, speak to the clinic nurse and point out that you have specially asked to see Mr Whats-it and make sure you do!
I have had numerous diagnoses to the burning pain.
In my experience, burning pain is almost always nerve related. Have you ever been prescribed gabapentin?
Then I had a steroid inj into the right gluteal tendon as they thought it could be tendonopathy. I was pain free for 2 months...it wore off and I have now been told to live with it as no more steroid inj.
No more? For why? I get my shoulders injected with depomedrone at least twice a year and have done for about 14 years! And in between, I got a trochanteric bursa injected as well!

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?


I would call your surgeon’s office. You are paying the bill
@Jockette Suzette is in the UK. Our surgeons don't have 'offices' and we don't pay them! This is the NHS, y'know!!
 
Hi everyone

Thank you so much for the replies.

I treated myself to a hair colour and cut today...I had to stand for half of it as I couldn't stay seated ! I came home with knee, leg and back pain! And a new hair style!

@Josephine. Yes I take gabapentin 300mg three times a day. Cocodamol 30/500 2 four times a day and amitriptyline 10mg at night. All were prescribed for my back and subsequently continued for hip and knee!!

The registrar who I last saw at the hip appt. Sat there with his head in his hands and said they couldn't do any more for me and to live with it. I wrote a long letter directly to the hip surgeon asking for an explanation on why I have to live with the hip pain. I have appt to see him on 9th Feb. I hope to find out why I can't have the steroid injection. I know they will say it's because steroids damage tissues. We will see...

The spinal surgeon has said if the nerve blocks I had in l3/l4 wear off I will have to have a discectomy/laminectomy operation to widen the spaces where the nerves run. Today I definitely had sciatica down my left leg which then combined with the left knee throb. I have just taken morphine as I unable to get rid of this pain.

Oh and today 2 bits of internal stitches popped out my incision with a bit of discharge. I think there are another 3 areas about to pop out stitches. Those areas are hard pea size lumps.

Tomorrow I will try and get appt with the GP to discuss pain relief options.

Please ask away with your questions.

I will also contact the knee secretary to request I see the surgeon.

Thanking you all for your advise.

X
 
Last edited:
I hope you can get help from the GP tomorrow.

I’ve had back pain for years. Between the fall of 2009-the spring of 2011 I saw 8 doctors, 2 of which were chiropractors. The last doctor sent me to PT. As opposed to PT as I am today I must admit when I went for my back I had a positive experience. The “exercises” were basically gentle stretches and not painful to do at all. The doctor also put me on ibuprofen and a muscle relaxer. I also started Weight Watchers in January of 2011. So all that combined really helped me. By June I had lost 20 pounds. So I’m not sure which aspect helped my back or if it was all of it. I don’t do the exercises anymore, I don’t take the muscle relaxers and I’ve gained the weight back and my back is in a manageable place. If possible I try to avoid the things that trigger pain. But of course I can’t always do that.

Sorry I went on so long, just wanted to relate to some of your back pain and let you know I understand.

And yay for a new haircut! That’s a good pick me up!
 
Oh and today 2 bits of internal stitches popped out my incision with a bit of discharge. I think there are another 3 areas about to pop out stitches. Those areas are hard pea size lumps.

@Suzette Oh my welcome to my world - the cute little pea sized abscesses that appear when my body reacts to the underlying subcutaneous suture material. I had those for quite a while, one would resolve and another would pop up. I still have one on lefty and two on righty that are still raised up and darker than the rest of the stitch area. No one warned me about them, but coming onto bonesmart I found others have experienced this, and it was a great comfort. So glad you are here Suzette, so sorry about your pain and discomfort. You really do have quite a full plate. Hang in there and you will get some great feedback from the experienced folks on bonesmart.
 
@mlwreader Hi, do you find them painful? I find they sting, itch and throb sometimes. Mine look like purple lumps !

@Jockette . My back also started in 2009. I had so much pain in my left leg (had a numb foot too) for nearly a year before I was sent for an MRI. I had 2 disc prolapse's. I had my first nerve blocks in 2010. They lasted until 2015! Then pain was back . MRI showed both discs had degenerated, so now had bone on bone. More injections followed. Extremely painful they were too. They have worn off. I also used to see a chiropractor, so I think I will arrange for an appointment wirh her.

I have seen my new GP and she has reviewed my pain and meds. She was going to refer me straight to the spinal surgeon, but then changed her mind as my next option is back surgery.

She has changed my medication to Tramadol 2 four times a day plus paracetamol ( tylenol?) Also indomethacin 3 times a day (anti inflammatory) she has stopped cocodamol and I will no longer take oromorph ...that gave me some awful nightmares last night!! Also to continue with Gabapentin and amitriptyline.

She wants me to see how the knee pain and back pain is over the next 2 weeks and whether the new meds have helped. I am to go back to her then to discuss.

If I can't manage the back pain and sciatica on new drugs, I will be referred for surgery. She is hoping the knee pain settles also. She said my knee is obviously still bruised inside...as it is purple, she felt it shouldn't be at 7 weeks. From the angle I see my knee it does look a darker colour to my other knee.

Fingers crossed my new regime will help control everything !!! ...I hope....

X :)
 
One of my 8 doctors was a pain management one who, over 6 months, put 10 shots into my lower back. None of them did anything. He then wanted to burn the nerve. In my online search for help I read somewhere that if shots don’t help, it means they haven’t found the right spot. So I’m thinking, what nerve is he going to burn? I did not go back to him.

I’ve had 2 MRIs that indicate 2 herniated disks.

The second chiropractor told me to ride an exercise bike, as that was the best motion for the sacroiliac joint. So I borrowed an old bike, I couldn’t get it to do a smooth rotation so stupidly I kept tightening the resistance and within minutes had a major pain in the left knee. That was the beginning that led me to my knee replacement. Yay for “exercise “.
 
Back
Top Bottom