TKR New left knee

Thanks Arttie , I felt really sorry for my self today, then reading your post and all the replies I have had, I realised that , YES , I have an extension of -5, a flexion of 115, I can tie my shoes, get in and out the car, go up and downstairs , do full revolutions on the bike and all PT did was make me have pain and make me angry.

I can do all this at 5 and a bit weeks and I am letting my knee and myself down, as sistersinhim, mentioned.

I am doing perfectly well without PT and all they do make it worse causing yet more pain and more depression.

I started off strong with my bonesmart view on PT then get pulled into their mentality and intimidation.

That stops now !! I will try again to get a Drs appointment to discuss pain relief, the depression and sleepless nights and go from there.

Thanks again everyone x
 
That’s right, you don’t need PT. Your ROM really isn’t an issue and if all you’re getting out of it is pain, what’s the point? You can always go back to PT later on if you want. For now, give yourself a break from the pressure and enjoy that new grandbaby. :) You had this surgery so you could reclaim your life, not to make a few therapists happy.
 
I stopped PT at 6 weeks (I only went 2x/week when their standard is 3). I liked getting out, getting some tips (I have some issues related to my RA besides the tkr) and encouragement (I had a good PT for knee #2). I found some of it useful but really after the first few weeks I'd learned all the exercises and told them I thought I'd be fine doing them on my own. I used my own judgment about how many (or if) to do on any given day.

By the way, you're farther along than I was at 5 weeks. I'd have been very envious of you. :heehee:

As SusieShoes says, if you decide you want a "refresher" you can always see about making an appointment down the road.
 
Hi everyone
Thanks for your replies. I agree with you.

The PT is once a week . Seems rather pointless anyway to force the knee to be bending on a weight machine, a bike and a bouncy ball once a week.

Since Tuesday and no exercise since then, I know that the flexion has changed, just by going down the stairs I can tell there's more knee bend.

I have been to my GP and I have told them I am no longer going to attend PT , but he didn't really seem to know much about TKR. I think he was a trainee GP.

He also put me antidepressants to see how it goes. I seriously feel down in the dumps. Even with an excellent knee and Grand baby. It's potty really to feel like this but I cant pull myself out of it.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to see my grand daughter either, as I developed tonsilitis and then laryngitis! The pain in the throat ...oooh terrible.

Honestly it doesn't rain but pour!
X
 
Feeling down even seriously down can hit out of the blue, Suzette but when your body has had the insult of a TKR and now a bug. You need to be kind to yourself and let yourself off the hook. Take things a day at a time and know that there are folk around here who’ll listen.
 
Did you dream up a new plan last night? I dreamt about getting a massage! Not actually getting it but thinking I should, in the dream.
PKR/TKR—they’re taking over our lives!
 
Hi everyone

I had another do nothing day. Now feeling more wirh it and over the bug . I feel more alert. Unfortunately I am still alert at 1.30am. I am hoping my eyes start drooping soon.

So I treated my self to a bath rather than a shower and actually got dressed and ventured downstairs.

I haven't seen my new Grand child since last Wednesday but I hope to soon, as long as I am no longer infectious.

I have gone up and downstairs today, the normal way, I haven't pushed it and took my time. It's easier when not actually thinking about what you are doing.

@rockette I am still dreaming of knees and this time I am taking the new knee on holiday, it was lovely and the sun was warming my knee nicely and there was no pain or stiffness and everything was all so calm and happy..... but the PT exercise thing popped up again. I actually cant remember anything else. Probably for the best!! You are right though, it does seem that TKR and PKR's are taking over everything in our lives along with the PT thing.

I thank you all for the encouragement you give it really does help put things in perspective when everything feels to be going wrong and feeling so miserable with everything. The constant rain here at the moment is also getting me down and I wish spring would hurry up.

Thank you again x
 
At 5 weeks things start feeling better, more new normal even. I am at 9+ weeks and a mid-day nap is still relaxing.:sleep:
 
Hi..@arttie ..I am thinking you are right. Tomorrow I am week 6. The last few days the pain has been minimal. Maybe the lying in bed a lot with my cold bug has helped the knee calm down !

So I woke up and felt quite alert!
The sun came out. Even if still really cold. I did some dusting and tidying up. Then by 3pm I was exhausted...@sistersinhim...power nap time....just nodded off....the phone rang. Then someone ringing The door bell trying to sell double glazing ! Then it happened again.

I didn't get a power nap in the end. Better luck tomorrow !!

But my son came with baby Elba. She is so tiny. But I had a cuddle and hoped I did not pass on any germs.

Knee pain is still a 2 a bit stiff now it's bed time !!! Fingers crossed a corner has been turned.

Trouble is. Soon I feel I will need to get ready mentally to return to work. That feels a bit scary at the moment though. I don't see the surgeon until 12 Feb. So I am not going until I see him first.

Love to all x
 
I’m so glad you get to see and cuddle with your granddaughter!!!

Sorry about your nap, though!
 
I hope you have a very good night's sleep tonight! It great to hear that the rest you've been getting because of your cold has made your knee feel better!
 
Hi, yes I had a good night's sleep, in fact I was out for the count and hubby's alarm woke me up, I was still feeling exhausted, so I stayed in bed, I rang the Physio lady, whilst lying there all cosy, and cancelled the appointment.

She did ring me back to make another appt, and I did it, I discharged myself, I told her that my ROM was perfectly ok and I didn't need physio, she did agree that my flexion was very good and accepted my decision to stop. YIPPEE.

I left the house this afternoon and drove to the shop to do some shopping, on my own. I managed fine had no pain and didn't use my stick/cane.

It was some hours later when the pain started in my knee, more like a stab stingy pain and an occasional throb. Assume I joined the overdone it club.

I will see how my knee is tomorrow, and learn a lesson not to do too much again.....

I feel such a relief though, that I do not have physio to be stressing myself with!!
 
Remember, every without physio, you need to be taking baby steps. Try just a little bit of something and see how your knee feels. If the next few days there's no increase in pain, then try it for a little longer. I would do one new thing a day, then take the next day off and just rest. I found this worked really well for keeping my pain level down.
 
Yay, you did great canceling PT!!!
And even better they didn’t give you an argument!
:wowspring:

It must have felt good getting out by yourself to do some errands. You will figure out what’s too much, and it might even vary from day to day. But that was good progress.
 
Hi everyone

Ummm I woke up at 4 am with knee throb, and quite an intense throb at that. So yes I over did my walking on my little trip out by myself and also on top of that the normal house pottering about and going up and down stairs the 'normal' way.

I am finding that my good right knee and knee cap are giving me some pain on the stairs now. I am hoping that's just due to the changes being made with my left knee.

Today will be a rest day.
 
Good calls all around, including making today a rest day. You’re still going to be moving around just doing what you need to do. Shopping was probably a bit more (all that walking and standing) than your new knee was ready to do. On the plus side, you now know you can do it. :yes!: Just pace yourself and you’ll keep forging ahead.

People often say their unoperated knee speaks up in different ways after TKR. Some get better. Others get worse. And there are some knees that just grumble, squeak, or yammer a bit before settling back to usual.
 
My old knee got bad the first few months after the tkr, but as the new knee starting taking over some of the load, the old got better! I bet yours will, too!
 
Back
Top Bottom