TKR New left knee

So I went back to work this week. I only worked for 2 half days and my word my knee ached from too much sitting and not moving about enough..lesson learnt there.

I have also noticed there is swelling above my knee and a lot of aching. Not sure if this is from sitting too much or because the weather here is really really cold or just one of those TKR things.

I have always wondered if the weather does really affect joints and to be honest I now think it does. Why does that happen?

Other than the aching and swelling all is well with my new knee and I am so glad I am back at work.

X
 
Weather never bothered my knee before surgery but it sure does now! Oh yay, another side effect!

The other day it felt so bad and all I could think of was that there’s a revision in my future. :yikes: And then I remembered it’s been raining for several days. :doh:
The day after that the sun came out and it felt better. :yes!:

Such a drama queen.
 
I think a lot of us good be better weather forecasters than those on TV! But, the new knee does get better during bad weather! It's one of the things I'm enjoying about mine!
 
The weather here in the UK is a bit mad this last week. Temps dropping down to minus 10 to 13 in places. Bitterly cold wind coming over from Russia. I haven't known it to be this cold before and the snow is fine and drifting into massive piles if snow. So chaos on the roads.

Since this nasty weather started my knee and back started to ache and so did my hip tendonitis. Now it's probably going to rain which will freeze.

I don't know how people live in this type of weather for long periods if time. It really is horrible.

Your right @sistersinhim my knee still seems to be improving, but its just a constant ache thats cropped up with some swelling above the knee.

Hopefully when the sun comes out and spring arrives the aches will stop..heres hoping :)
 
Last edited:
Week 12...I have returned to work and it has been great seeing all my colleagues flashing my new knee off. I am phased return using holiday owing up rather than sickness.

I was planning half days for the next 3 weeks, but somehow ended up doing 3 full days then 2 days off. Not sure if this needs to revert back to my original plan, we shall see.

I am naughty that I keep forgetting to get up and move especially when working from home. My own fault and I must change my attitude to my knee.

My knee is still swollen above the knee and feels stiff. Which is quite different to last week where my knee wasn't swollen, stiff and painful.

Hopefully things will improve again soon...not forgetting though how much it has improved in the last 4 weeks :)

I had a false sense of security that I was fully fixed and recovered!!
 
I had a false sense of security that I was fully fixed and recovered!!

Aha! This is the “Gotcha!” of TKR recovery. Our brains are there and —being brains and not, say, knees— think that if the brain is feeling fully recovered, then everything must be fully recovered. The brain, alas, has not consulted the knee. This forces the knee to remind the brain that it still has issues, so would the brain please just lay off the “We’re healed!” pronouncements.

Things will improve again soon. I learned that the further along I was (and still am) in recovery, the more quickly my knees would settle down and be happy again. So that’s a plus! :yes!:
 
Thanks @SusieShoes I like the gotcha. .and I was got!!

Have been resting my knee a fair bit since I got caught out! I am also putting weight on from a lot of resting...whoops.

Just a quick question, for some time I have what I can only describe as a stinging pain and pulling on the lower outside of my knee. I am sure it could be the IT band. I notice @Jockette mentioned the same area in her post and Josephine mentioned the IT band.

I am not totally sure what I should be doing to prevent this getting worse. I don't want to end up with long term chronic pain that I now have in my right hip from tendonopathy and trochanteric bursitis pain syndrome post THR in 2015.

Any tips would be gratefully received.


Xx
 
Last edited:
It's natural for knees to get angry after first returning to work. It's not just the work itself, it the preparing to go to work, the drive and then the drive back home. Be sure and get up at least every hour at while work. Knees don't like being bent for a long time at a time. If you can ice while at work, it'd be helpful, too.
 
Thanks @sistersinhim you are so right, the knee does not like being bent for ages, it also doesn't like being straight either.

The office I work in doesn't have anything I can keep ice packs cold in. Although I also need to make sure I ice at home too. I haven't done as much icing as I used to...

In fact I am going to right now!!

X
 
Could you take a cooler and put ice and ice packs in it? Maybe they'd stay cold long enough for you to get a couple of hours of icing done. I was addicted to ice! For months every time I sat down, I iced. This kept the swelling and pain down and the ability to get off of the strong meds sooner.
 
I can not believe where the time has gone since I last posted! Thats back to work life!

I am now 14 and a bit weeks. I still have a good flexion. It feels exactly the same as my normal right knee...until looking at it and there are obvious differences, but my brain does think they are equal in the bend!

Since going back to work..I make sure I get up and move about and don't seem to feel much discomfort at all until the last week or so.

It has been a bit chilly here, not sure if that does affect our knees, but I am getting a lateral pain which I think is in the place of the IT band. It can be really painful and wakes me at night now by throbbing and stinging. I am getting about 5 hours sleep so am feeling a little exhausted. It's not helping that when we sleep we tend to be in one position for some time. I can't tell if it's knee bent for ages or straight that's causing the most pain!!

Above the knee is still a bit swollen and tender.

I am going to visit my chiropractor today as my back has also been aching a lot too. She practices acupuncture and deep massage as well as very gentle realignment of my bones.

I hope to get a bit of relief but if not I will enjoy the massage:)
X
 
Hi
I have attached a photo of where the pain is...I am thinking this is just part of the healing? Or is it something I should be talking to the GP about ...I am not sure whether to just get on with things in the hope it will settle down.

Ooh forgot to mention there's tenderness/swelling on the lower medial too just under the knee cap. I wonder if I am over doing it!

Any hints and tips will be greatly appreciated
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] New left knee
    20180324_080934.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
I had my acupuncture in my lower back and some gentle bone realignment at my chiropractors 2 days ago. Didn't get the massage but can't have everything.

My lower back did feel looser and warm. In fact I haven't had lower bsck ache since then . I return again next week for another session. The funny thing is..my knee hasn't ached either and she didn't go anywhere near my knee. How strange.

I know it was really naughty, but as the sun was actually shinning Sunday, and I was in a good not much pain mood, I was in the garden walking about tidying and moving things about nearly all day. I hope I am not jumping the gun (I have done that before!!) But no knee pain yet. Fingers crossed. Ooh and little to no back ache.

I am looking forward to the next session and am just grateful for a few days respite, so far, from that nagging ache.

Now just need to sort that blinking gluteal tendonopathy out!! Mmm.
 
I’m so glad your back pain has, seemingly, settled down. The chiropractor is doing good work, it appears. And I think your sojourn in the garden sounds lovely. There are times when we try something, just because we want to, and find out that our new knees are good with it. Then you know you can do that. :) Being able to enjoy your garden sounds like the perfect way to go into Spring.
 
I was glad I did get in the garden the weekend...its been cold and raining since!

So far knee has been great and actually seems a little looser and more bendy! My back ached a little yesterday but that was probably sitting at my desk too long!

I am looking forward to seeing my chiropractor next Thursday .

Have a lovely Easter weekend everyone x
 
I’m glad to read you’re doing well, Suzette, that life is returning to normal.
 
I have a question...having just nearly knelt down on my TKR, which reminded me very quickly ..not to do That!!!

Will I ever be able to kneel on my new knee? Also what is actually causing the very sharp pain if the back if the knee cap is 'plastic' and the joint is metal. Is it all the soft tissues??
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom