Guest viewing is limited

TKR New left knee

The pain will be from your soft tissues. They still feel pain. You’re right that the metal and plastic feel nothing! :heehee: So those still-healing tissues of your knee are what sometimes speak up.

Will you ever be able to kneel on your new knee? Maybe. First step is to ask your OS if your implant, or you, are good for kneeling. Most can do it but there might be reasons related to your device or the surgery where your OS thinks you shouldn’t try. If that’s the case, no kneeling for you. However, your OS might say —as mine did— to go ahead if you want to.

My OS told me I could kneel if I wanted to, but that I might not like it. It does feel a little weird. The feeling is getting less so, less weird, the more I do it. I kneel mostly on the bed, but have done so on a carpeted floor (not as pleasant as on a bed or sofa) and a tile floor (not pleasant at all). I have no plans in my future for scrubbing floors on a regular basis, but I can kneel down to get at the back of a bottom cabinet shelf. I bought a foam pad I plan to use for gardening this spring, but I haven’t used it yet. Hope it works!

Anyway, the first stop is to find out from your OS if there’s any reason you shouldn’t kneel. Better to be safe than sorry!
 
Hi thanks @SusieShoes that's really helpful. I will find out if kneeling would be appropriate on my implant.

I can kneel on the bed too. But I went to kneel to pick something up that had rolled under the chair!! Not a good idea.

I will invest in one of those soft kneeling pads too just in case I can kneel in the future.

It is funny how we take things like this for granted until we can't do it!
 
Today I actually took the dog for a walk for the first time since my new knee. It didn't hurt at all and still doesn't. I was scared to go out on my own with the dog incase I couldn't do it.

I think I had built up this fear as the last time I did it with the bad knee, I was in agony and couldn't get home again !!

I am very happy to feel normal again . Also in the last week the lateral pain has also subsided. Not sure if this is temporary or not.

But I will make the most of a pain free knee :)
 
Last edited:
Hi Suzette, I had a LTKR in November and my knee is still reminding me to take it easy. Humans are impatient wanting things back to normal.
 
Hi

Sorry I havent been here for ages. Work just seems to take over everything..

So it's now week 18. I have very little pain in my knee just the occasional twinge and stiffness. There does seem to be puffiness above and below, not sure if that's a permanent thing or not.

The lateral pain has eased, helped by my chiropractor who said my fibula was slightly out of line and used an activator to give it a tap to reposition it. What was a shock is that the pain I had went away!

I only now get a funny twinge after being on my exercise bike...newly purchased, so early days and I am probably over doing it too soon.

I do find stepping over things unusual! My new knee doesn't flick up as far (back wards) and I get my leg stuck. It's funny as my knee bends near enough the same as my other knee, but not when I bend it behind me. Why is that. Is it weak muscles?

Other than that I am back to normal and I am thankful that my knee is a brilliant as it is and i havent really had any huge issues, and once past the awful pain, which was around 10 weeks, it started to ease, gradually.

AND today the sun came out at last and that makes everything better :)

X
 
Excellent report!
 
@Josephine you asked ages ago how I got on when seeing the hip surgeon.

So I have now seen the him, after complaining about being told to live with the constant hip pain and that no further treatment would be available, including steroid injections.

He confirmed I had greater trochanteric pain syndrome, that been there since my hip replacements in 2015. It is very painful and persistent. My GTPS originates from my gluteal tendonopathy. I think caused by the hip replacement and the way the hip is dislocated etc. He said they have no idea why it happens and lots of women have this condition!!

I CAN have steroid injections up to 3 times a year and he will be putting this in place. He did say that this problem can take up to 10 yrs to resolve:(

I hope the registrar I saw has in some way been told about his mis information and advice of 'live with it'

I will also have to have physio. Not sure how this will help.

I am looking forward to the steroid injection!
 
I’m doing ok. Right now I’m happy with that. My bend is a little better, I’m walking a little faster.

I’m finally starting to work on steps. I have a few short steps off my back deck so I am practicing going down using foot over foot. It hurts a bit but not too bad. Now that the weather is warmer I can go out there in shorts and work on that.

I still have that pants issue and the hope that that will go away! It is most annoying!

I had my one year check up last month and took a list with me of 9 concerns. My surgeon only addressed one- the one where my knee aches when I’m outside in winter temperatures. He said, well you have metal inside the knee. I had already figured that out.

He had no comment about the discomfort when I lean forward. I do think that is starting to get better. So, once again, many issues just take time. I’m ok with that at this point.

I did not make any more appointments with him. He cannot help me anymore. So I feel free, like I am not accountable to any medical professionals and can just continue to heal at my own pace.

Thanks for asking!

I’m glad you are doing so well. It’s nice hearing from you!
 
Oh I do hope you knee starts to improve for you now the weather is getting warmer.

I am so sorry your surgeon wasnt forth coming with anything useful. But as you say you are free to move on now for another opinion when you are ready.

My hip surgeon was more interested in pointing my new hips were ok..I was more interested in the pain I have had for nearly 3 years. It made me feel guilty to complain when I had 2 pain free hip joints. Which I really do appreciate!

Fingers crossed things move on for you and your knee gets used to going down steps. :)

Xx
 
I CAN have steroid injections up to 3 times a year and he will be putting this in place. He did say that this problem can take up to 10 yrs to resolve
That's not been my experience. I've had these injections 2-3 times a year for nigh on 14 years and am still having them - mostly in my shoulders, I hasten to add. Only twice for TB which it cured almost instantly. I hope it does the same for you.
I hope the registrar I saw has in some way been told about his mis information and advice of 'live with it'
I doubt it.
I will also have to have physio. Not sure how this will help.
It won't so don't do it. It still bemuses me that some doctors think that exercises are the panacea for almost everything!
 
Hi everyone...
Knee update...I am now 6 months post op. I had one mishap about a month ago where I put my foot down a hole and fell forward bending my new knee to places it hadn't been in a while!! That hurt.

But other than some pain from stretching scar tissue, muscles and tendons I was ok. Phew.

My knee only reminds me occasionally that it's still recovering and I do have hard ball like things that move about on the lateral side of my knee. But no pain as such.

I now can not remember the horrible bone throb I had for about 8 weeks after the op.which is great but it really wasn't at the time.

Now my right knee had started to ache and swell. So I am keeping an eye on that.

@Josephine I am so sorry for late reply. I have had the steroid in my gluteal area, and this time it was in a different place to the one that worked...I did tell the man but he ignored me and stuck it in anyway. This injection hasn't worked.

I have seen physio twice. She confirms my original diagnosis I had from 3 yrs ago that the pain in right thigh is greater trochanteric pain syndrome and my IT band is a massive problem. I have been saying this constantly...

So the exercises I do are bottom clenches and rolling a tennis ball up and down my IT band, oh and some clams....apparently this will fix it but might take a very long time. Mmm.

I see hip surgeon again in july . I am not hopeful.

My knee is very good though.
 
I now can not remember the horrible bone throb I had for about 8 weeks after the op.which is great but it really wasn't at the time.
The mind has such a self preservation mechanism! Knee replacement is like childbirth, you forget the pain, only remember joy! I am almost 8 months op, walking pain free. I do not remember the early days very well. But glad our minds work that way.!
 
Last edited:
Hi, Suzette, I’m glad your knee is doing so well! I’m sorry about your other issues. Nice to hear from you!
 
Clams are a poor way of trying to resolve these pains. In fact, they will inevitably make things worse.
 
Long time no see! I seldom go on this site anymore but I got an e-mail today and wanted to see if my age is updated on my profile and saw your name and last post. So I just reviewed your knee replacement recovery thread and saw that you went thru another difficult operation: sounds like you are doing good now. I had a total knee replacement about 9 years ago (on same leg as hip). It went well and I hardly ever think of it.
Just like you, my hip/butt pain never really went away. I had an MRI a year after the surgery and they said my back was ok so I have basically learned to live with it. Mind you that the pain is much less now than it was after the surgery. Driving a car for extended time is no fun ( really can't do it).
I'm going to google the name of your diagnosis cause it sure sounds like what I have.
Congrats on your 1st grandchild. I retired in May this year and I'm a full time grandpa, taking care of my daughters 2 year old.
Best wishes and I can't thank you enough for all the support you provided during my hip recovery in 2015.
 
Hi @lalo so good to hear from you.

I am glad you are doing ok, have retired and now look after the grand children, do they tire you out !! I baby sat for a few hours and i was shattered!

Bad about the driving though. I hummed and harred about changing my car back to gears, but decided to stick with an automatic, what with the right hip pain. I am so pleased I did.

Yes the diagnosis is greater trochanteric pain syndrome , which includes the IT band , gluteus muscles and bursas. Today I have had another steroid injection , this time in an inflamed bursa in my bottom. Ischiogluteal bursitis. Linked to all the other problems. It was great to hear the the lady with the ultrasound machine spotted it and aimed the needle into the correct place. I am throbbing a bit now, but I think she may have hit the spot. It does make you wonder if you have the same problems.

I think mine flared up again recently, by doing more walking than normal. Plus the physio i have to go to ( so the hospital think I am doing as I am told) gave me one of those elastic bands to use when exercising the buttocks muscles. I didn't really do it, but decided to try a few the other week and I am not doing that again. I haven't been able to sit down properly for the last 2 weeks. I don't understand why they insist that you have to continue to cause more pain with exercises, in the theory it is helping!!

The surgeon has said sorry though, for not diagnosing this 3yrs ago. Mmmm...

My knee is great. The initial agony has drifted off into a faded memory. Phew!! It really is brilliant and am so pleased i went through it all to have a pain free knee. The other is getting a bit uncomfortable now , not helped with walking funny due to the hip.

Still we all just get on with it and make the most of everything we have.

Keep well everyone and I hope you are doing well too, @Jockette. I really need to catch up with everyone.
Love to all x
 
So good up hear from you!
Still we all just get on with it and make the most of everything we have.
This is where I am these days. My bend is better than ever, but nothing else has changed in a long time.
 
Back
Top Bottom