Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Left Knee . . . Check!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw your update - I can understand your focus on range of motion, but many of the forum participants have shared their progress and it really does vary from person to person. That said, you've been through quite a journey and have demonstrated quite a bit of patience ... so allowing yourself some additional time to continue to progress seems perfectly reasonable.

The outdoor spa seems like a great idea - it was interesting during the early stages of physical therapy how some simple exercises like walking heel to toe to balance my weight and return to a normal walking pattern seemed very basic but took some time to master again.

Looking forward to hearing about your continued progress and best of luck to you ...
 
Thanks, Dale. It's hard not to be concerned about ROM when I'm already 8 weeks out and really haven't been able to do too much to work on it. I know I need PT, but I'm not looking forward to it tomorrow. I think I may take my first spin behind the wheel today and drive to the PT place just so that I know where I'm going tomorrow.

After 8 weeks of my world being shrunken to pretty much my bedroom, it surprises me how nervous I feel about everything! I didn't expect it to be difficult to get myself back out in the world and doing things, but it all makes me feel nervous! The four or five times that I've been outside of the house, I've had someone with me to drive me and help me get around. It's just hard to think about doing anything on my own! So, small baby steps--starting with just driving to the PT place and back today. When I do it tomorrow, I'll actually have to get out of the car! :hysterical: It is so hard to even imagine having a normal life at this point......
Niki
 
Hi Niki
You've already done the hard part and shown true grit and determination in coping with your enforced captivity. I think you will be fine getting back into the outside world and hopefully you will be throwing one of those sticks away soon!
 
Diane,
I know you're right! I'm sure it won't take long to get back in the swing of things once I can walk. I just got back from my drive to the PT place, even swung through a drive-through and picked up some lunch for myself. Of course, when I got home I had to call my husband to come help me get out of the car and into the house cause I couldn't carry my newly purchased lunch and drink! Feels good to know that I can drive without any problems though. One small step toward independence! :yay: Niki
 
Niki,
So glad to hear you drove. That has to feel so good. Once you can bare weight you will be even more independent. Small steps (or drives) lead to bigger and better things!!
 
Excellent! Being able to drive makes all the difference. I will be so glad to get behind the wheel again. I can drive at six weeks and that's this Saturday. Yippee!
 
Glad you're making a bit of progress now Niki - I know how you feel about being nervous going out on your own. I felt very vulnerable the first few times I went to the shops on my own, scared someone would trip me up or a child would run into me - you see imagined dangers everywhere. Your confidence will come back though

Go easy at PT!:thumb:
 
I agree with everything everyone says - this whole process knocks your confidence to shreds but it will come back. Just don't do too much and exhaust yourself.

When you think what your body has been through, it's not surprising that you feel cautious and protective of it. Like you, just driving a little really helped me remember what normal life is like. By spring we'll all be bouncing around like spring lambs!
 
I know what you mean about being protective of yourself when you first go out. My first shopping trip was to Asda. After I had finally found a parking spot that I could fully open the car door to get out and ensure that it was a spot that no-one could park next to me so that I could fully open the car door to get back in and that it wasn't too far from the store, I was exhausted before I started! The trip was a nightmare loads of children and people not looking where they were going and me looking enviously at everyone in an invalid scooter! I gave up and went home without buying anything because the queues at the checkouts were too long for me to stand in. It passed an afternoon though!
 
Oh those queues! I'm not ready for that yet.

And choosing somewhere to park .......! After 8 pm is good or early afternoon during school hours.


I've just started with a short trip and took one of the small trolleys through the basket checkout with just 10 things in it. I waited for someone to comment - I was already with my "I can't carry a basket because I have just had surgery" but no-one said anything!
 
I must admit that regarding the parking problem, I had a word with a manager at my local Sainsburys and he said that as long as I left my registration number at the customer services desk I could park in a disabled spot! How's that for customer service? No prizes for guessing where I shop now! Other supermarkets weren't quite as helpful, though.
 
Congrats on driving! Milestone!
 
Thanks, Guys! I've enjoyed reading through this little conversation and realizing that it's not just me who is nervous and apprehensive about getting back out into the world. One thing that is helpful for me is that I was able to get a temporary disabled parking pass. Don't think I would be going anywhere if I didn't have that!

Went to my first outpatient PT today. Drove myself, parked, and hobbled quite a distance on the crutches. (Even the handicapped parking was a trek!) All in all, I like my PT, I like his philosophy, and I like the facility. I was really dreading going, but once I got there, I actually enjoyed it! I soooooo miss working out. It has been a huge part of my life for the past 35 years and I can't wait to get back to it. PT was a slight, little glimpse for me that I may someday get back to the gym!

My PT and all of the techs that I worked with today were quite surprised by my situation with the fracture. Don't think they see this every day! Had a good chat with the PT before we started anything because I wanted him to know that I am not into "no pain, no gain." And also that if he is manually doing something to me and I tell him to stop, I want him to stop. He asked me if I've had a bad PT experience before! :biggrin: I didn't tell him that I was just taking charge based on others' experiences here!

Anyway, he measured my ROM, which was 87 on my own and 92 with him helping me. My extension is still at 2. He thinks I am doing just fine given my situation. He feels sure that I will get to 0 on extension and to about 115 for flexion. We'll see how it goes.

I rode the stationary bike--couldn't get all the way around, but almost going backward. I think another time or two and I will be able to do it. Going forward is definitely going to take longer. Then I did some stretches and exercises. Also did some exercises with the quad electrical stimulation thingy on there. He gave me 11 exercises and stretches that I'm supposed to do twice a day at home. And he also told me it would be good if I could get to a stationary bike every day or so. We do belong to a gym nearby--so I guess I may get back to the gym more quickly than I thought. He told me to do about 10 minutes on the bike. It will probably take me longer than that to get in the door from the parking lot, and then make my way upstairs where the bikes are! :loll:

I am definitely a little sore and more swollen than normal, but it doesn't feel too bad at the moment. Got through the PT with only taking Tylenol. I'll take my regular hydrocodone before bed tonight. I think I will need it! Niki
 
Sounds like you have a Pt KEEPER! Mine is awesome like yours.

Don't forget the ice and elevate part after you do Pt...IT REALLY does help~:wink1:
 
Wow - what a workout. I remember the frustration of trying to complete a full revolution on the stationary bike and the excitement of completing "one" backwards.

The saying "you must crawl before you can walk" must have have been written by the first total knee replacement patient.
 
Yes, Barb, I think he's a keeper--at least so far!

Dale, that had me rolling. I've been in the crawl stage for 8 weeks now!! Eight more days and I'm a walkin'!!
Niki
 
(I could tell you about the first total knee replacement patient - I scrubbed for it!
[Bonesmart.org] New Left Knee . . . Check!!
)
 
I could tell you about the first total knee replacement patient - I scrubbed for it!
[Bonesmart.org] New Left Knee . . . Check!!


Wow - Jo - when was that? There's a story here - do tell!

My mother is 96 and crippled with Arthritis but would never consider knee surgery because it was considered so risky 30 years ago. She was very worried about my operation - she can't believe how times have changed.

Well done on the driving and PT ed98!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom