New knee about to happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone watches the Today show, their weatherman Al Roker had a knee replacement and was back on air in 2 weeks. That sounds impossible, but wondering how can this be possible?

I'm sure Al had someone doing everything for him except his on air stuff. Someone got him breakfast, drove him there and back, etc. He actually made a few verbal errors and had viewers upset in the first week he was back. I'm sure it was the drugs and fogginess. People were complaining on twitter about his lack of sensitivity. Last week I noticed he was still limping, probably because he wasn't using a cane or crutch.

I think we're all agreed that he isn't painting a true picture of what it's like to recover from a TKR.
There's quite a long discussion about Al Roker and his TKR, here:
Al Roker's Recovery is NOT normal!

I had to LOL reading the Al Roker thread. We watch the Today Show everyday and my husband has said numerous times, "Why are you so nervous. Look at him he is fine!"

I saw something online to prop your legs up. It's called the lounge doctor. Has anyone used this after surgery? Is it worth purchasing?

I haven't heard of that. Is it a type of pillow or is it an item that helps you pick up your leg? I used three pillows stacked together and is used a small blanket to help pick my leg up. You can also use with dogs leash or your other leg to help.

I did a Google search for the Lounge Doctor. It's an inflatable wedge. It does look like one of the images of wedges that are OK in this article:
Elevation is the key to controlling pain and swelling

You can elevate your legs quite successfully using pillows, if you don't want to purchase a wedge. Read right through the article for ideas.

There are also ones that are not inflatable but are more expensive. Just wondering if it is appropriate for TNR? Unfortunately not to good with pasting things on websites or I would. I'd be willing to look into buying one if you guys think it would help.

I found buying 3 cheap regular size bed pillows worked best for me. I could use it while sitting in my recliner, on the couch of in the bed. I did purchase a foam wedge but I found it very uncomfortable.

Hi, @RMasano - I just wanted to stop by and say "hi" as our experience and concerns sound very similar! My LTKR is scheduled for January 11 and I'm going through all the same thoughts as you...even the stuff about the snow (I live in Michigan.) But, after going through meniscus surgery, followed by the usual injections, PT, orthotics, brace, etc. etc, and still ending up with an arthritic bone on bone knee that is bowing in, I now that having the TKR is the right decision for me. I am tired of planning my day around my knee; not being able to sleep comfortably due to the constant pain; and seeing my world becoming smaller when I used to be so very active. So, knowing that I have an experienced surgeon and that I have exhausted all other options, I'm getting ready for the surgery and looking forward to resuming my life afterwards. Good luck to you, too!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Hi Mitten, Looks like I'll be a couple of days ahead of you. I'm very nervous but the I'm ready to live again. I can't even leave the house any more. This Holiday season has been awful. Missed a lot of good parties!!! Walking all I hear is clicking and grinding. There is so much ice here in Chicago, I don't want to even try and venture out and risk falling.

Question everyone who has went through this already. My bedroom is upstairs. How long til you were able to go up stairs? Where and on what did you sleep on for the first few weeks?

You will be shown how to negotiate stairs before you leave the hospital.
I believe that @Josephine went home to live alone, and managed her stairs from the day she went home.

Before you go into hospital, choose where you are going to live and have your "nest" for the early days of recovery. It should be close to a bathroom and, if possible, the kitchen (unless you will have someone at home 24/7, to get drinks for you.

If you want to sleep upstairs but be downstairs in a recliner or on a couch during the daytime, try to work it so that you only have to negotiate the stairs once a day for the first few weeks.

There is so much ice here in Chicago, I don't want to even try and venture out and risk falling.
You need to look at this Safety: walking in snow and ice after surgery
Question: everyone who has been through this already. My bedroom is upstairs. How long til you were able to go up stairs? Where and on what did you sleep on for the first few weeks?
I was able to do stairs on day 4 first time and day 3 second time. It should be part of your discharge criteria at the hospital. Meaning you're not allowed to be discharged until the PT is satisfied you can negotiate them safely.

As for sleeping, I bought a recliner settee for the first knee and still had it for the second. First time around I slept in it for 3 months post-op, second time I was able to return to bed after about 8 weeks.

I set up my nest on my first floor where I had a half bath, kitchen and a oversized recliner that I used to sleep in. My shower was on the second floor as well as my bathroom. I live alone and I only went upstairs when I was cleared to shower. I put a chair in my half bath where I could get cleaned up for the day.

How long after TNR do you forget about your knee? Just walk and not even think about anymore. My knee pain is all that I'm living. It's there and basically affects everything I do. It' s all I can think about.

I found myself just start doing things that I wasn't able to do before. I would start to just stand up and forget my cane or walker in my house. I found myself walking at a regular pace rather than at the slow pace I've had for many years. My knee wouldn't ache at the end of the day. I eventually just walked up a flight of steps with no thought. I ran down stairs one day to answer the door. it's little by little that you start to forget about it. Everyone gets there. Take it easy at first and give your knee ached chance to heal.

RMasano take a deep breath. You will be so glad you no longer creak and grind and hurt. Choose a great surgeon then follow the BoneSmart mantra and you'll be fixed in a few months. At 7 weeks sometimes I already forget the L knee is bionic. The early days can be rough but it is all worth it! Don't be fooled by Al. There is no way you could be back to normal in 2 weeks. Set realistic goals so as not to be disappointed.

How long after TNR do you forget about your knee? Just walk and not even think about anymore. My knee pain is all that I'm living. It's there and basically affects everything I do. It' s all I can think about.

I was there and understand. Within weeks the new one will feel better than the old.

Does anyone know what minimally invasive knee replacement surgery is? My OS does this and wondering what it is. I read it means that the incision is smaller than normal surgeries. Wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads