Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
RMasano

RMasano

senior
Country
United States United States
Thank you all. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions as I prepare for this journey. The knock knees have always bothered me. There are certain pants I can't even wear cause they look funny. As far as shoes, I have one pair I wear all summer and a couple for the winter. My knees have effected my feet and certain shoes are hard to wear. Haven't even thought about heels in years.

little red canoe

graduate
Country
Right now buy a pair of new shoes. Don't wear them till after surgery.. That you had so few pairs of shoes while knock kneed indicates there is an uneven wear pattern.. Your legs will be straighter after TKR so the wear pattern on old shoes may hurt your back..

KarriB

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Getting a new pair of sneakers to wear in the hospital and after surgery is a great idea. You don't want those odd wear patterns to effect your new improved gait.

OP
OP
RMasano

RMasano

senior
Country
Went to PT yesterday. Pain was so bad couldn't sleep and woke up to clicking and knee pain. I'm done!!!

KarriB

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Stop going to PT. There's really nothing they can do to help bone on bone pain, except make it more painful. My left is going downhill, so I try to stay away from activities that make it worse or rest it as much as possible afterward the painful activity.

OP
OP
RMasano

RMasano

senior
Country
I guess a little background on me will help you understand my anxiety. My husband had a heart valve replacement when he was 30 and my son had his eye removed when he was 15 and has a prosthesis and I've seen first hand how when a body part comes out it just changes everything. I'm hoping knee replacement is a positive thing and not what i've seen my family go through. I know I have no choice, but just anxious. I'm going from being the caregiver to being the on having to be taken care of. Urgh!!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Yes, a knee replacement is a positive thing. The first 4-6 weeks are tough, but you'll get a little bit better every day and you will end up with a knee that works well and, while it may give you an occasional niggle, the awful, persistent pain before surgery will be gone for good.

I do sympathise and I know what you have gone through. My oldest son had to have an above-knee amputation of his right leg. He's made a good recovery from it and he walks well on his prosthesis.

Look at it this way, you have been the caregiver twice. Now is the time to let your husband and son have that role. It's good for them to feel that they can give back some of the care that you have given them.
This article may help you: Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help

KarriB

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I live alone and am independent. For over 30 years I helped to care for my BFF who has cancer as well as care for her children. Three years ago when I had my TKR my BFF became my care giver; hospital/rehab visits, cooking, driving, cleaning my house, getting meds, ice, helping to administer my IV meds. Luckily her husband valued our friendship and we live only three blocks away from each other. With our positions being reversed we learned so much about what it takes to be the patient and the care giver. It wasn't all rosy because I got impatient and scared, but it was a learning experience. Your husband and son have benefitted from your care giving, now give them the privilege of caring for you. Change can be good.

referee54

omega
Country
I'm hoping knee replacement is a positive thing
I had a BTKR nine years ago---recovery took longer than I was prepared for, but when I was fully recovered, it certainly was a huge positive!! I got my life back, and I got my active lifestyle back. I could sleep at night without pain, and my knees now are "normal"---I can go for days without thinking that they have not been with me all along---they simply do what knees are supposed to do. Normal is a huge positive!

OP
OP
RMasano

RMasano

senior
Country
Went to store today. At the end, I was in a lot of pain. My foot hurt from putting most of my weight on it. Thank you everyone for helping me realize that I will be living a better life.
Question? My OS doesn't want to see me til 3 weeks after surgery. Will I have staples? From what I've heard on the forum, the staples usually don't stay in that long. Is there another way they close the incision besides staples?

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I suggest you phone your surgeon's rooms and ask what method he uses for closing the skin. It could be staples (clips), sutures, or glue.
Whatever is used on the skin, there will be internal, dissolvable sutures in the layers beneath the skin.
Closing surgical wounds: how is it done?

OP
OP
RMasano

RMasano

senior
Country
Also, after surgery(and I know everyone is different), how was weight management? Gain? Lose? I'm sitting around a lot more lately and probably will be worse after surgery.

KarriB

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I lost weight because I had no appetite. From my experience here on BoneSmart this is the norm.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I can tell you that my knees feel totally natural. I had years of limping around and pain and now I feel like "this is what normal feels like." The recovery takes a while, but it is so worth it imho.

little red canoe

graduate
Country
Surgery and anaesthesia seems to make most patients lose some weight immediately after. My OS agrees.. that lack of appetite is to be expected for a month or so

Your appetite will return and then its still rest and ice and elevate.. So for me that was the tough time between one and two months; The sloth and bon bon period where all food looked good.

Now I am 9 weeks post op, back on the bike and there is no excuse for gluttony. I am able to do almost all natural day to day activities including a cardio walk..

If your recovery is slower do not fret. Imagine life without the surgery.. I thought about not having a TKR and the mental image of cookies and wheelchair did not mix for me. You may be better and then worse but with healing, better and better and better is what you will be looking for in terms of fitness.

Curiously I went back on my chemo diet after surgery.. I only wanted protein. This was not by planning.. It was simply what I craved. I really do believe in listening to your body. If it hurts after you did something..don't try that again for a while.. If it hurts after you did something..doing it again and again will make your knee very angry and swollen and your life misery.
as far as wound closure scheduling, trust your OS. This isn't his/her first go round..
I go to the gym for low resistance bike 10 minutes 3 times a week and upper body workout. You can continue an upper body workout that does not stress the knee post op. Because things in the knee department are much better I ordered a home spin bike. They gym is a bit of a drive for every day and my road bike is in the garage. Its all ice and snow here and dangerous to ride outside.

I am feeling ready to ski now though my rational being says "Whatta you crazy?; ask again in Dec 2017"

OP
OP
RMasano

RMasano

senior
Country
As scared as I am and as hard as this is going to be, I can't wait to live again. Not leaving the house much has been very difficult. We had so much snow in Chicago that is going to be even harder to get out. I was hoping to lose some weight before the surgery, but being confined to the house and not getting around much is making it hard. Thank you all for your support, as I'm sure I'll a lot of questions as surgery date approaches.

Want2hike

Country
Also, after surgery(and I know everyone is different), how was weight management? Gain? Lose? I'm sitting around a lot more lately and probably will be worse after surgery.
I lost 50 lbs during the 8 months prior to my surgery (by controlling food intake, not through exercise). Unlike most the posts I've read on this site, I didn't lack appetite after surgery; I was ravenous. The night of my surgery, I had a big steak, veggies, soup, and ice cream for dinner. (The hospital food was delicious!!)

image.jpg

I am 8 weeks post surgery and still eating a lot more than I was before. While my body is healing, I have stopped trying to lose weight, and have been just maintaining the weight I was at the time of my surgery. I planned to go back to losing weight at about month 4 or 5, depending on where I am in the healing process, since I still have about 50-60 lbs that I would like to lose.

mwetzel394

senior
Country
As scared as I am and as hard as this is going to be, I can't wait to live again. Not leaving the house much has been very difficult. We had so much snow in Chicago that is going to be even harder to get out. I was hoping to lose some weight before the surgery, but being confined to the house and not getting around much is making it hard. Thank you all for your support, as I'm sure I'll a lot of questions as surgery date approaches.
You'll get there , good luck with the surgery!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jan77
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom