THR New hip new life recovery thread

It's kind of funny to me that the precautions are so easy to honor, because my body has told me oh hell no way would I want to cross my legs or move in certain ways.
Great for someone to say this, I felt the same way. People pre-op make such a big deal about the restrictions, it doesn't take long to understand your body reminds you and it's not hard to adhere to them.
 
Happy Monday!
I agree with Eman85. I was told I didn't have restrictions but only advised to move slowly / carefully and if anything hurt, stop.

I loosely followed the restrictions many abide by simply as a precaution. I feel it comes naturally as we're protecting ourselves, unless we're foolish, reckless and careless about the seriousness of it all.
I hope you have a great week!
@clara4fun
 
Staples are out and xray looks good. Cleared to drive. No need for PT. Cleared for trip to Big Sky next month. I did find it interesting to learn, though, to not be surprised if the drop in temperatures (I live in Florida) causes some pain to visit again.
As always, thanks for all of the support and knowledge shared here!
 
:happydance::egypdance::happydance:
Great recovery news... so glad you will get to go do something fun and see something pretty. I need a vacay in a bad way...
Do take care and pop in with an update and let us know how your trip went.
Onward and upward....:yahoo:
 
Great news on all counts. Is Big Sky the snowmobiling trip?
Did you ask OS's opinion on snowmobiling, or are you having second thoughts?
Makes me a little worried for you...
@clara4fun
 
Big Sky is indeed the snowmobiling trip @Layla. He said that based on how I am today and with continued healing he says he is fine with snowmobiling. In the end, it will require my common sense. But I am very happy that the possibility is there :dancy:
 
Snowmobile on wide open perfectly flat terrain, at two miles per hour, in broad daylight only,
and I promise I won't worry :rotfl:
@clara4fun
 
Excellent effort @Layla. This is a very smooth guided trail ride. Most people who know me would say I am a high energy person, but they also know I am super cautious when it comes to speed in most vehicles other than cars. I might give you that 2mph after all!
 
:wave: Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well. We'd love to hear from you.
The trip to Big Sky must be getting close. I'll bet you're excited. :happydance:
You'll have to tell us all about it upon your return.
A great rest of the week to you! :SUNsmile:
@clara4fun
 
My trip to Big Sky (5 weeks post op) was FANTASTIC! I did get to join my husband and friends on a snowmobile trip through Yellowstone. The ride was smooth and the scenery, wildlife and Old Faithful's "performance" was gorgeous. No increase in pain or swelling during the trip but for this Florida girl it was certainly cold! We had a blast and have some amazing memories.
I returned to my workout routine (7 weeks) at Orangetheory with the surgeon's approval. The only thing he advised not to do yet was rowing. I use the stationary bike or elliptical for now and will probably return to walking on the treadmill in 2 more weeks as I am still rebuilding my endurance at this point. I am using a lot of caution with all of it.
Last weekend we did some kayaking through the mangroves on the coast of SW Florida and that went well, too.
This morning I returned to my beloved Bikram yoga, skipping or modifying postures when need be.
I realize that some of these activities seem to be too early and too much, but my surgeon has advised me through it all. I hope that everyone reading this can be as fortunate as I am and can enjoy their new hips when it's for them.
 
Hi @clara4fun
I'm happy to read all went well in Big Sky and that you had such a great time. You know I was worried about you on that snowmobile going bumpety bump, bump and being hurled into the air. It's nice to read the ride was smooth and I can imagine how beautiful the scenery was. I saw Old Faithful as a young girl, probably 50 yrs ago now, but I still remember! It is remarkable and memorable for sure.

It sounds like you're really on your way, living a full life. Kayaking through the mangroves and with professional guidance, easing back into your workout routine and Yoga class. Wishing you a Happy Two Month Anniversary! And to think there's still time and room left for improvement. May it only get better!
Thanks for the update and a great rest of the week to you.
 
Hey there :wave:@clara4fun
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you've been doing over the past month?
Would love to hear all about your progress when you have time.
You've done so well which is encouraging to all those following behind you.
What a great Spring and Summer it will be! :flwrysmile:
 
Greetings! Progress continues. I am still feeling some pain after walking but am working on taking that slowly.
Back spasms-oy vay! I am accuustomed to it because my spine was a mess before the surgery. Heating pad fixes that right up and I am finding that I need it less.
Looking back, the only thing I would change would be to spend more time building my walking slowly.
Best to all. Thank you @Layla
 
:wave:So glad you feel you are turning a corner and the light at the end of these recovery journey is getting brighter!:yahoo:

Looking back, the only thing I would change would be to spend more time building my walking slowly.
Thanks for sharing this as the most important aspect of this forum, in my opinion, is the fact that we can learn from each other.
Getting the scoop from "those who know" is invaluable.

Hope your back continues to improve and that your summer will be golden @clara4fun
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a lovely Spring so far and your back spasms are easing.
I can only imagine the adventures you have planned.
Wishing you continued healing and a wonderful Summer! :flwrysmile:
@clara4fun
 
Back
Top Bottom