Guest viewing is limited

THR New Here- THR 8/22/22- Muscle Atrophy (maybe)

.....I also notice that I walk with the same limp that I had before surgery when getting up. (but only for the first few steps) I am trying to determine if that is in my head or if I actually need to walk like that. It's very odd that it started doing that lately. (or is it?....
Hi @SweetV i did this from the git-go with both hips. We were calling it "that 'hitch' when you first get up from the chair". Also, it hurt if I took off immediately! I began standing and balancing/centering my weight, letting it settle into the op hip, and then stepping out with the good leg first, paying attention to gait for several steps. And getting out of a car was quite an adventure. We drove 600 miles to vacation about 3.5 months after the first hip, stopping every two hours to walk for half an hour. I wished for good ice packs-- the ice they give you for soda just doesn't do the trick.

Sorry you have to do the other hip so soon, but!, then they'll both be good sooner! I had to wait a year longer than I wanted for #2 due to unforeseen situations that popped up right before each of the first two scheduled dates, and that was a bad year! I'm glad you'll be done this summer! Summer is a great time for recovery in my estimation!
 
@zauberflöte Thanks! I figured that I would go ahead and get it done before I felt the pain that I did with my right hip, but now it is starting to hurt. I am hoping I can hold out until May.
 
@Mintae the knee that is hurting on the left one, which is on the hip that I haven't had replaced yet. It has subsided a bit, but I notice when the hip hurts, the knee starts hurting. I have to hold out until May so that I can have some help for the first 3 weeks. Now it's pretty much "do everything I can to avoid pain and not to irritate the hip" mode. The right hip has pains here and there, but I feel good enough for it to support me while I heal the left. Pretty soon, we will be bionic! :) :-) (:
 
Hola everyone! I haven't checked in for a couple of months. How is everyone doing?
 
Hi @SweetV :wave:
How have you been?
Are you still looking at May for hip #2?
 
@Mojo333 I have been busy! I had to cancel my follow up with the surgeon that was for April 4th because I had a work meeting. (CEO was there). Now the first available appointment is in June. It's tough because the pain hasn't been as bad, so of course I question myself as to whether or not I need the surgery. (I know better)The weird thing is the pain starts in my lower back and then that is when the muscles around the hip start hurting. Has anyone experienced that? I am worried that it may be my back. OR is it that the muscles around the hip are weak and that is what is causing the pain? Ugh....
 
The weird thing is the pain starts in my lower back and then that is when the muscles around the hip start hurting. Has anyone experienced that?
Yes, I had the same experience. My left hip issues were diagnosed as lower back issues for years. The problem can be that although you might not be conscious of it, you may be walking all wrong trying to stay off a bad hip.
 
My right hip gave me excruciating lower back pain. The pain in my left hip presented in my butt. :heehee:
That makes sense! Sometimes my butt hurts as well. LOL
Did your hip hurt at all...or was there a time when you realized that your back was hurting and that made your hip (or the muscles around it) hurt?
 
@SweetV, sometimes I would feel it in my hips. In the early days, it was always my hips. The longer it went on, the more I started to experience pain in other body parts.
 
@MissFanny Thanks, I think I am compensating and not even realizing it. Right now my ankle and toe are kind of hurting and earlier, my back was hurting from lifting a case of water. It's so weird how it is all connected. I had a follow up appointment back on 4/4, but had to cancel due to work. (at the follow up, I want to discuss my left hip and having it replaced) My reschedule was for June, but was able to get it moved up in 2 weeks.
I'm nervous about doing the second one because I feel that the first one went so well.
 
@SweetV, if it’s any reassurance, both of mine went well, the second a little better. Good luck!
@MissFanny Thank you! I just had mine scheduled yesterday. We are on for mid July. I am a bit nervous. He said my left hip is at 80% (20% left) It doesn't bother me all the time, but I also baby it.
So NOW...my right hip has started feeling a bit off. (after my visit) It's not a bad pain, but it is kind of sore when I move it a certain way. I have never had issues with it since the replacement.
Anyone have this happen? I know that it hasn't been a full year yet, but that is not helping with my nervousness.
Thanks so much!
 
I have just read through your thread SweetV and found it most interesting. Just after my surgery I could walk quite well, but now at about 16 weeks I can’t, and have pains in my groin and down my leg. My knee which I will probably have to have replaced hurts too.
I was fine until I started to try and walk any distance without my walking aid.
Now getting out of bed in the morning is a nightmare and I feel that my leg won’t take my weight.
it gets better once I am up.
I had a nasty fall last week going into a concert, but I have had the hip X-rayed and I will be seeing my lovely surgeon next week.
I have been limping for years. I smashed my left leg up years ago and that is as good as it is going to be.
This time I spent almost a year limping before my hip surgery.
I am convinced by everyone here telling me that things will be fine, but I wasn’t expecting this.
Your circumstances sound so much like my own.
I feel sure we will be dancing, not limping soon!
 
I understand your concern, SweetV. My surgeon's PA explained to me that our gait changes as our hip deteriorates, then changes once again post op. So you really have two things going on, a healing hip and a deteriorating hip. My assumption is until you have your Left THR and get things in balance, your gait will continue to be off and that is causing you pain in one, or the other, or both. If you have an exact date for your surgery, let us know and we'll add it to your signature. Wishing you comfort as you await mid July.
@SweetV
 
@Layla Thank you so much for the information. So, I have really been obsessed with finding out why my back hurts (pinchy feeling in low back and buttocks) so I went back to look at my medical records. I then had to decode them via google because they are not in basic terminology.
So my initial hip xray...all good makes sense. THEN...I looked at a record that was posted from a chest Xray (from looking at my heart in preparation for last surgery) AND it says "The Visualized osseous structures demonstrate a mild thoracic dextroscoliosis." !!!! (meaning my spine curves to the right, away from my heart...mildly...but still)
Now I have a gazillion questions for the doctor, because is that what is causing all of my pain? Will a hip replacement not even help if it is my back that is the issue? No doubt I have Osteoarthritis but this is new news to me. I can't believe that this didn't come up before. I may be making a big deal out of nothing, but something tells me to ask more questions.
 
@ladyj Wow! It's tough! For the most part, I have been fortunate and no issues from my Right Hip. It started hurting a day or two ago and I am almost a year post surgery. I need my other hip done, but I am now concerned about my back and that being the issue.
I DO want to dance and walk for long periods and be FREE!
It will happen...and I wish the same for you <3
 
I understand your concern, SweetV. My surgeon's PA explained to me that our gait changes as our hip deteriorates, then changes once again post op. So you really have two things going on, a healing hip and a deteriorating hip. My assumption is until you have your Left THR and get things in balance, your gait will continue to be off and that is causing you pain in one, or the other, or both. If you have an exact date for your surgery, let us know and we'll add it to your signature. Wishing you comfort as you await mid July.
@SweetV
Exactly one month from now...July 11th. I find that I am a little scared. I shouldn't be I guess.
 
Thanks for the date, SweetV. I will add it to your signature.
I am sorry you're feeling that pre-surgery anxiety. I'm sure you remember those feelings from your first, but it's still unnerving. You know we'll be here for support and you'll get through it. Just think how great you'll be feeling by the holidays this year! Lots of comfort to you as you wait and I'll lift a prayer for your peace of mind too. :) :prayer:
@SweetV
 
@Layla Thank you so much. I have a question for everyone. (This is where most of my anxiety is coming from) Does anyone here also have scoliosis is some form or another? This time my chest xray showed signs of thorolumbar dextroscoliosis. I need to go have that checked, but honestly concerned on how that will affect my hip(s).
Thanks for the support. It is appreciated.
 
Back
Top Bottom