BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] New Here Looking for Positivity

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by LooLoo, Aug 9, 2019.

1. LooLoo

LooLoo junior member

United States United States
  2. Chemist

Chemist senior

@LooLoo: This really is a challenging time. Lots of aches and pains. Never knowing what is normal and what isn't. Fortunately the advisors on this forum have a wealth of knowledge that you can draw on when you have a concern. Hang in there, keep taking care of yourself and things should improve. Just keep repeating - be patient.

regards
    Chemist

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. LooLoo

LooLoo junior member

I had my post op today and everything looks good! So happy! Staples are out and they put me on a better med schedule including ibuprofen, with tramodol, and Norco as needed.
    I did a lot today and still feeling decent. I hope I can stick it out! Back to icing and elevation now.
    Thanks to you all, so much for getting me through the pain and darkness the last few days. Your support means so much to me! ❤️

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Poctdb

Poctdb member

Yippie for progress.....and good reports.....
    I am still going to keep your assigned seat on the Patience Bus.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Glad your post op went well! Feels great to have those staples out doesn't it? Still very early days - keep that icing and elevation going.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LooLoo

LooLoo junior member

@Poctdb Thank you. Please keep that seat assigned—I will need to remember to stay in it for awhile! @Jaycey I’m on it! I want to keep an upward trajectory for sure!

7. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yeah, that probably would be very uncomfortable for you after surgery. Best case scenario you get a desk setup where you can elevate your leg. I wound up trying to put my leg on another chair to ice, but that didn't work well for actually doing any work.
    Getting up and walking is good; though not necessarily for long distances. Sitting in between should help; particularly if you ice at every opportunity.
    Definitely try to imagine scenarios for resting/sitting after walking. You will probably want your cane at work even if you don't need it at home.
    I remember stopping in at work around 7 weeks. It was a short visit to pick up some stuff. I used my cane and it was a good thing. Distances that don't seem like much when you're healthy seem twice as long.

You've got it. You've just had major surgery and it really takes it out of you. My temp was elevated slightly for a short time, but I had a lot of alternating "I'm hot"-"I'm cold" going on. Whether the pain meds or the surgery I don't know--probably both. I laid down every afternoon for weeks and usually slept.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. LooLoo

LooLoo junior member

Thanks for the awesome advice @kneeper !
    I’ll have to start thinking ahead about work so I can plan my seating!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. MissNoodle

MissNoodle junior member

@LooLoo, I have a small plastic stool under my desk at work that I rest my leg on when I'm sitting. I have one of those up/ down desks and I try to make good use of it by standing at least once an hour. I tore my meniscus July 2018, and it took an entire year to get to the TKR, so I had to improvise at work quite a bit. People who booked meetings on another floor earned my glare of death.

• Like Like x 2
  10. luvcats

luvcats senior

I'm so glad your doctors set you up with a better medication plan. I always felt a lot more sick and fragile when my pain wasn't properly managed.

It's early days yet. You still have lots of healing to go.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Sam67

Sam67 new member

I'm sorry and I can empathize. Its been 13 weeks since my TKR and I still hurt every day. Most days I wish I never had this done, but I really had no choice. They tell me it will get better. I pray a lot to stay strong and for God to get me through this. I'll be saying a prayer for you too. Don't give up!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Dancersoon

Dancersoon junior member

Hi! U are still so very new to recovery!
    It’s too soon to be doing anything but resting, icing, elevating and taking meds on time. No household chores!
    Call your doc if you need stronger meds. Many are on meds for months.
    I will be 4 wks tomorrow and am just starting to feel like things are alittle better. My first knee 4 yrs ago was a hard recovery but this one so far has been so much easier.
    I still don’t do much around the house. I have someone come in and clean once a month. Someone get the mail. I have been able to do lite watering outside and pick up dog poop now. I ride the cart at Walmart. Today I’m driving for the first time (left knee) to my first pt appt. the only reason I’m going is because I want my rom and extension measures. No one is going to push and pull on my knee this time! Noway! And I still have to ice and elevate most of the day. And after any activity. I hope to start swimming after my visit with my doc next week.
    Ice really is your best friend.
    and not overdoing it. U are only 10 days out of what can be a yr long slower marathon!
    Take care!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. LooLoo

LooLoo junior member

@Sam67 I’m so sorry your recovery has been so difficult! What kind of pain are you having? Are you walking without assistance? I will be thinking of you and praying for you also. You are already so strong! We can do this. Sending lots of love and positivity your way. Your little doggie is super adorable.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LooLoo

LooLoo junior member

Thanks @Dancersoon. It sounds like you are doing really well! I’m starting to feel a bit better now that my meds have been upped a bit. I will continue to ice and elevate!! I hope you get to swim! I love swimming it is so peaceful!☺️

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. dogwalker2

dogwalker2 member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You are doing really well for so soon after your op. Without doubt the first 3 weeks are super hard and the next three hard, but slight improvement. Take heart. I am now nearing the 3 month marker and so glad i had my tkr done. Life is now so much easier and I am back to doing most things. Slow and steady does it. Love your dog, a weimerraner, yes? I have 2 wonderful cavalier king Charles spaniels that are here snoring loudly on my bed!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Sam67

Sam67 new member

@LooLoo your prayers are much appreciated and rI walk without assistance at home, but take my can for steps and when I leave the house. The worst pain is when I get up from a sitting position, it feels like someone is just stabbing a screwdriver into my knee. And yes, we can totally do this...(I hope). Thanks so is yours. I know my fur babies are ready for me to be better as well LOL. Hugs and a super fast pain-free recovery for you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. LooLoo

LooLoo junior member

@dogwalker2 i love that your dogs are snoring loudly and taking care of you! They are the best! I have 2 yellow labs. They are more of Fox red color. And in the photo Ellie is completely covered in mud which is why she might look like a Weimaraner! LOL!

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  18. LooLoo

LooLoo junior member

@Sam67 good that you can get around so well. That is troublesome that it hurts when you get up from sitting. Has anyone been able to explain why that is? It’s so painful but we know we can work a little harder everyday to be stronger! We are so lucky to have our fur babies with us. They make everything more tolerable. ❤️

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Sam67

Sam67 new member

@LooLoo they certainly do :puppysmooze: I'm glad I found this forum to see that others are struggling too, because it seems everyone I knew that had this surgery was walking pain free after 2 weeks . And I was NOT. But I'm glad I didn't come across it sooner because I would have never done my PT. I'm at Zero straightening and 126 bending, and I think it's because I worked hard in therapy. Now if the pain would just go away I'd be a happy camper.

20. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 senior

@Sam67 do you have your own recovery thread? Many here would like to help you.. I fear that PT really hurt you. And we would like to know more about your experience.. Unfortunately working harder sometimes leads to poor results.

I had gentle PT and nothing aggressive.. I stopped it because it was expensive and not doing much that I could not do my self.. My ROM is just fine..

We would love to help you get rid of your pain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1