THR New Here - Difficult Painful Recovery - 3 months post op

All the best for your surgery :flwrysmile:
 
Sending positive thoughts your way for easy day tomorrow, @RalphPolo. We'll look forward to a status report once you are on the healing side and feeling up to posting.

Sending hugs:friends:
Thank you kindly @benne68! Looking forward to being in the mend. Will surely keep you all posted. Hugs to you as well! :friends:
 
Hi RaphPalo,
I hope you're doing well, resting comfortably and your pain is well managed.
Sending best wishes for your comfort along with a healing hug. :friends:
I hope you sleep well tonight.
@RaphPalo
 
Checking in to see how you are feeling, @RaphPalo. Let us know how you are doing once you feel up to posting. We are here for you!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi RaphPalo,
I hope you're doing well, resting comfortably and your pain is well managed.
Sending best wishes for your comfort along with a healing hug. :friends:
I hope you sleep well tonight.
@RaphPalo
Thanks @Layla - they had trouble getting my pain managed in the recovery room. I don’t recall what they were giving me at first. Was there for hours. Initially had one particular nurse. Then, was transferred to another. That 2nd nurse looked back (at both the records and the convo she’d had with previous nurse) and realized that the medication that the first nurse gave me wasn’t nearly adequate to manage my pain. Therefore, this insightful 2nd nurse knew that I needed fentanyl and administered it. Thankfully, the fentanyl got my pain to the point where I could finally be ready to be placed in a hospital room for the night. Was horribly nauseous due to the anesthesia this time. Barely slept with all of the various caregivers coming in and out. Glad to be home now and trying to get better rest in between fielding the various medical calls and check ins.
 
Checking in to see how you are feeling, @RaphPalo. Let us know how you are doing once you feel up to posting. We are here for you!
:flwrysmile:
Thanks @benne68 It’s been a bit of whirlwind. Was released from the hospital the following evening. The pain is different this time and seems more manageable as it’s mostly concentrated in the thigh area this time. Lots of tightness and burning around my wound and under my dressing. Mine is the anterior approach. Not sure if all the anesthesia and pain meds from the hospital has worn off just yet so I’m slowly accessing my pain. Still feel some groin pain (soreness and tenderness) but nothing like prior to this surgery. So prayerfully this revision surgery took care of that once and for all. Managing at home with Tylenol, Oxy and icing. Still experiencing some waves of nausea but less than at the hospital. Trying to catch up on rest as I didn’t get any sleep in the hospital. Came home exhausted. Now, I’m fielding calls for the in-home PT they want me to set up etc…But this weekend will be focused on sleeping/resting and recuperating.
 
Happy to hear you are home. Resting at home is better than being woke up every hour in hospital.
Hope your pain stays manageable and keep us posted.
All my best.
 
I am sorry you were off to a rough start. :console2:Thankfully you had an attentive nurse that figured out the medication issue and was instrumental in you obtaining some relief. I'm glad you're home now, without all of the noise and interruptions of your surgery site. Hopefully you'll get some restorative rest and you're relatively comfortable. Hugs!
@RaphPalo
 
The early days can be tough but just try and rest, take your meds, eat well, ice and sleep as and when it comes. Like treading water... Before you know it you'll be over the surgical trauma stage, healing will progress and you'll start feeling yourself again. Sending best wishes, we've all been there and it's easy to say, it gets better... But it really does :flwrysmile:
 
Glad you are home, @RaphPalo. You've been through a lot, so focus on healing now. The rest will come.

Sending hugs :friends:
 
Glad you’re home and doing better. Be sure when you meet with a therapist at home that they don’t try to do too much in the way of exercises this soon. You need time to rest and heal.
 
Happy to hear you are home. Resting at home is better than being woke up every hour in hospital.
Hope your pain stays manageable and keep us posted.
All my best.
Thank you @myglasshalffull Indeed resting at home is much better. It’s been wonderful to rest lots today in between taking my meds, eating, icing and elevating. And I do think such quality rest might helping my pain be manageable today. :)
 
I am sorry you were off to a rough start. :console2:Thankfully you had an attentive nurse that figured out the medication issue and was instrumental in you obtaining some relief. I'm glad you're home now, without all of the noise and interruptions of your surgery site. Hopefully you'll get some restorative rest and you're relatively comfortable. Hugs!
@RaphPalo
Thank so much @Layla. Was able to get lots of good rest today and plan to continue to. Hugs to you :friends:
 
The early days can be tough but just try and rest, take your meds, eat well, ice and sleep as and when it comes. Like treading water... Before you know it you'll be over the surgical trauma stage, healing will progress and you'll start feeling yourself again. Sending best wishes, we've all been there and it's easy to say, it gets better... But it really does :flwrysmile:
Will do @Deni444. Thanks a bunch. :flwrysmile:
 
Glad you’re home and doing better. Be sure when you meet with a therapist at home that they don’t try to do too much in the way of exercises this soon. You need time to rest and heal.
Indeed I do @Jamie. No I don’t plan on doing much in terms of exercises to soon. I will be asserting myself and pushing back as needed. I’m going to let them know from the start that PT made things worse for me and I to stop. Therefore, Im not open to repeating that this time. So we’re going to have to go at my pace as opposed to a predetermined pace. It’s so helpful to have those instincts to rest, heal and take it slow affirmed here on BoneSmart despite what others might think or want to push for. Thank you. :flwrysmile:
 
I think you're on the right track. Some hip surgeons don't order PT, and so early post op there's really no need beyond making sure folks are handling adaptive aids, transfers, walking alright - there's no special exercises needed.
 
I think you're on the right track. Some hip surgeons don't order PT, and so early post op there's really no need beyond making sure folks are handling adaptive aids, transfers, walking alright - there's no special exercises needed.
Thank you @mendogal The Coordinator who called me to set up the in home PT mentioned both things like working with adaptive aids, transfers etc…and home exercises. So, we’ll see what they’re planning. But the more I process…it’s all the more reason to have a frank discussion. Discussing it here with you all reminds me of how pushy the first PT was with me in the Recovery Room. Naturally, they wanted me to try to get up and walk etc… However, I was too nauseous. This time around nausea has been a major side effect of the anesthesia for me. She tried to cajole me and even expressed some disappointment that I couldn’t do it. Basically I was going to miss out working with her she said. Lol. Seriously. But I was just too nauseous. Held my ground and probably stared at her like she was a disturbed person because what’s so difficult to understand. And she shouldn’t have been making it about her. They warned me about the possibility of nausea as they do and boy has that been very true for me. Not rare undoubtedly. I’ve even had to take some of the nausea medication they prescribed here at home a few times since I’ve been home. After my previous surgery, I only needed to take that prescription once or twice. Anyway…ultimately it meant that I got to work with an absolutely wonderful PT twice before I discharged. In general that 2nd PT is someone I’m glad to have met and been guided by.
 
You are very wise to be your own advocate and don’t do anything you are not comfortable with. I only did walking, no PT. After my first year I did go to friend of mine that is PT and she was great at relaxing some of the tightness I had from time to time. Now I start my day with floor stretching and lots of walking throughout the day. I average 3-6 miles not all at once but over the course of the day.
Keep resting and icing, stroll around the house a bit, repeat.
You’ve got this!
 
You are very wise to be your own advocate and don’t do anything you are not comfortable with. I only did walking, no PT. After my first year I did go to friend of mine that is PT and she was great at relaxing some of the tightness I had from time to time. Now I start my day with floor stretching and lots of walking throughout the day. I average 3-6 miles not all at once but over the course of the day.
Keep resting and icing, stroll around the house a bit, repeat.
You’ve got this!
Good to hear your experience @myglasshalffull. Thank you. So wonderful to be able to work with a friend whose methods are a great fit for you. Yes, this is experience is both teaching me and requiring me to advocate for myself medically more than ever. :)
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom