THR New Here - Difficult Painful Recovery - 3 months post op

Well at least you now have a direction to proceed. Sorry you need a revision.
Starting over in recovery isn’t something that anyone would be looking forward to but if it resolves your issues and pain it will be worth it in long run.
We will be here for you as you begin your next chapter.
Much appreciated @myglasshalffull :)
 
Hello RaphPalo,
I'm happy to hear you were able to meet with Dr Della Valle. Many on the forum have seen him and I believe he's widely respected by his peers. I would trust his opinion and don't believe he'd steer you wrong. He obviously feels confident in directing you back to your OS for your revision and considering the pain you're in (I'm so sorry) I wouldn't seek a third opinion either. Especially after Dr Della Valle confirmed you need the revision. If you're willing to share the date of your revision we will add it to your signature.

While this likely feels like a set-back, view it as the surgery that will get you back to the activity level you were accustomed to, without the pain and give you the ability to enjoy the gorgeous new public pool in Central Park! There are many positive and successful revision threads here. I will link them for you...if interested in reading.

As for recovery from revision surgery I believe its similar to your original, maybe a bit slower / longer, same uneven progress as THR. You may be more fatigued in light of the fact you'll have undergone two major surgeries within only months, but overall, I believe you'll do well. It's your ticket back to happy, healthy and pain free! :yes!:
Will be following with interest and in support. Wishing you comfort in your pain. :console2:
@RaphPalo
Thanks so much @Layla. I’m looking so very forward to being on the other side of this, being healthy and free and living my best life again. Looking forward to diving into the link you shared as well.
 
Sorry to read that you need a revision, @RaphPalo, but glad you now have a clear path forward and won't have to wait too long.

I hope the fact that Della Valle has given props to your original surgeon gives you confidence that you will be in good hands for the procedure. Do let us know the date so we can add it to your signature.

Let us know how else we can help.
Thank you @benne68. Yes, having Dr. Della Valle’s input definitely helps ease my mind. Tremendously. Things are moving quickly and now I’m actually scheduled for a bit earlier than I was initially. My Revision is scheduled for July 8th. :)
 
Wow! 10 days away. I'm so glad you don't have to wait any longer, @RaphPalo. I've updated your signature with your revision surgery date and we will add you to the July Sparklers.

Sending hugs :console2:
 
Thanks for responding with the date, RaphPalo.
Not very long to wait, which is a blessing. We'll be here following your recovery and cheering you on along the way. Wishing you moments of peace amid the pain. :console2:
@RaphPalo
 
I’m so glad Dr. Della Valle was able to review your case quickly and give you his opinion. I believe you are doing the right thing by following his advice. He wouldn’t recommend you going back to your original OS if he didn’t feel it was a good option. It’s wonderful they can get you in pretty quickly. Good days are coming!
Thanks so much @Jamie . Yes, he seems to have been a great recommendation for me as you when suggesting him. That’s really good to know that from your experience Della Valle wouldn’t recommend going back to my original OS if he didn’t believe that was the right move for me. Grateful that they can get me in quickly too!
Wow! 10 days away. I'm so glad you don't have to wait any longer, @RaphPalo. I've updated your signature with your revision surgery date and we will add you to the July Sparklers.

Sending hugs :console2:
Thank you @benne68 for grounding me in that reality. Everything is moving so quickly that I hadn’t even counted the days yet! Lol. Just trying to get all of the various things that I need to take care prior organized and completed. Hugs to you as well. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
Wow! 10 days away. I'm so glad you don't have to wait any longer, @RaphPalo. I've updated your signature with your revision surgery date and we will add you to the July Sparklers.

Sending hugs :console2:
 
Thanks for responding with the date, RaphPalo.
Not very long to wait, which is a blessing. We'll be here following your recovery and cheering you on along the way. Wishing you moments of peace amid the pain. :console2:
@RaphPalo
Much appreciated @Layla. While I don’t love the idea of going under the anesthesia and starting my recovery all over again it truly is a blessing. I’m starting to get excited about it considering all of the pluses despite any potential challenges. :loveshwr::flwrysmile:
 
I wish you the very best in a few days. @Jamie , I bookmarked the post where you rendered a few names at HSS . I have been a member for about four years and i must look for better options. Sorry to tag onto this post! RaphPalo- here's to a better journey.
 
Thinking about you, @RaphPalo. Let us know if we can help in any way as you count down to your surgery.
 
Thinking about you, @RaphPalo. Let us know if we can help in any way as you count down to your surgery.
Thanks for checking on me @benne68! I’m my surgery pushed up I’m in a bit of a frenzy preparing in both my personal/home and work life. :tiredwheel: Getting supplies in and gearing up to pack a light bag for my hospital stay etc… Such as working on getting a cushion for my recliner. From what I’ve here on BoneSmart…to add height as I plan to sleep in it for the first few nights once I’m home. Building riser won’t be feasible for me. Looking for the right 3 inch raised toilet seat for me. Didn’t use one last time which was very difficult at times. Yet, not using one seemed to help keep my thigh muscles engaged in those first few weeks of recovery. I have a round toilet seat. Need a raised toilet seat that I can easily put on and remove when I’m finished. That way my relatives who will be here to support me don’t have to contend with using the raised seat. Also, I have to keep my lid closed when not in use to ensure that the cat doesn’t drink the toilet water. :kitty:So, if anyone has some good product recommendations as well as tips for what to be sure to pack or what they wished they had packed for a 1-2 night hospital stay…I’d greatly appreciate it. :flwrysmile:
 
There are several types of raised toilet seats that look like a walker and you just place over your toilet. Then you can move to side when you are finished. There are a few on Amazon as well that have handles that lock in and are easily removed.
All my best!
 
There are several types of raised toilet seats that look like a walker and you just place over your toilet. Then you can move to side when you are finished. There are a few on Amazon as well that have handles that lock in and are easily removed.
All my best!
Thank you @myglasshalffull. However, my small NYC apartment bathroom can’t accommodate one of those. I’ve been down a bit of a rabbit hole on Amazon looking for the right fit. Stumbled upon this

“Raised Toilet Seat Cushion with High-Density Foam” Now, I’m thinking of trying this type while using my walker for support.
IMG_8398.webp

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh thank you for posting that foam seat! I've got a framed version but the plastic seat area is awful. I had all kinds of issues when using it because I'm short and a bit chunky. I think I'll look into a foam seat for my next hip!

I had a 3 inch cushion for my recliner. It's really helpful. I didn't actually have restrictions but it was difficult getting up and sitting down comfortably in those first couple of weeks without it. One thing I noticed was that adding a cushion changed the lumbar support. I needed another smaller cushion behind me. I had a wedge shaped cushion. The type you buy for a car seat. That placed behind the cushion, wide edge down was really comfortable.

I also got a bag for my walker that held all sorts of items. I kept it next to my chair and made things easy.

You come home with a huge amount of medication. I found a large plastic tub with lid handy to keep it all together. I had it on my table set up next to my chair. On that same topic, I found a To Do list on my phone a helpful way to track my medication schedule.
 
Last edited:
Oh thank you for posting that foam seat! I've got a framed version but the plastic seat area is awful. I had all kinds of issues when using it because I'm short and a bit chunky. I think I'll look into a foam seat for my next hip!
You’re welcome @Deni444. I, too am short and not thin. :flwrysmile:
 
what to be sure to pack or what they wished they had packed for a 1-2 night hospital stay…
I only had an overnight stay, but ending up taking more than I needed. The only things I used were a lightweight (silk) robe, which I wore over the hospital gown for my walks with PT and a few toiletry items (toothbrush & toothpaste, comb/brush and a face moisturizer. The hospital supplied everything else.
 
what to be sure to pack or what they wished they had packed for a 1-2 night hospital stay…
I only had an overnight stay, but ending up taking more than I needed. The only things I used were a lightweight (silk) robe, which I wore over the hospital gown for my walks with PT and a few toiletry items (toothbrush & toothpaste, comb/brush and a face moisturizer. The hospital supplied everything else.
Thank you @benne68 Yes, I tend to be an over packer for trips. Lol. Always working on not doing so though. When, I Googled “What to pack..” all sorts of things came up that were leading me to over pack for this hospital stay too. Then, when I asked the pre-surgery patient educator she steered me toward packing lightly like you did. She also mentioned a robe for those walks with PT. Sounds essential to me. :) I will keep it simple/ light. I’m sure I’ll be glad that I did.
 
Hi RP,
At the time of my surgery I thought it CRAZY that they told me I needed "clothes" to put on before I left the recovery room post surgery, for my room for the night. Huh..what?!!

As it turned out I liked it! I brought some dark colored, loose fitting, lightweight cotton yoga pants and a dark oversized t-shirt as my "clothes". Sans bra, figured I earned that, lol. So soft that I slept in this outfit, comfortably and wore it home the next morning, easy peasy. I brought deodorant, toothbrush / toothpaste and and don't even think I used the stuff, but waited until I was home since I pretty much woke, ate breakfast, was guided through navigating stairs and went over discharge instructions and left. So I say pack light, especially if only for one night. One thing I did need and use, hubs had to go buy some while I was in recovery was Lip Balm. Dry lips and mouth. Anesthesia effect and oxygen I believe, plus dry surgery site air.
Getting close now, a week from now you'll be in healing mode. Yay! :happydance:
@RaphPalo
 
Hi RP,
At the time of my surgery I thought it CRAZY that they told me I needed "clothes" to put on before I left the recovery room post surgery, for my room for the night. Huh..what?!!

As it turned out I liked it! I brought some dark colored, loose fitting, lightweight cotton yoga pants and a dark oversized t-shirt as my "clothes". Sans bra, figured I earned that, lol. So soft that I slept in this outfit, comfortably and wore it home the next morning, easy peasy. I brought deodorant, toothbrush / toothpaste and and don't even think I used the stuff, but waited until I was home since I pretty much woke, ate breakfast, was guided through navigating stairs and went over discharge instructions and left. So I say pack light, especially if only for one night. One thing I did need and use, hubs had to go buy some while I was in recovery was Lip Balm. Dry lips and mouth. Anesthesia effect and oxygen I believe, plus dry surgery site air.
Getting close now, a week from now you'll be in healing mode. Yay! :happydance:
@RaphPalo
Lol, thanks Layla! So true lip balm is essential! I recall being crazy dry after my last surgery too. Hadn’t thought about deodorant. Good one! I just might need some. Definitely tossing that deodorant in my bag now as well. Yes!!! This time next week I’ll be in healing mode. :egypdance:
 
Sending positive thoughts your way for easy day tomorrow, @RalphPolo. We'll look forward to a status report once you are on the healing side and feeling up to posting.

Sending hugs:friends:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom