THR New Here - Difficult Painful Recovery - 3 months post op

Thankfully you have a supportive supervisor at work. That's a blessing! Sorry about your ODIC visit. I think you're doing really well after a revision. I hope you achieve the desired results from the acupuncture and massage.
I happily live alone and have been recovering since February when I had my initial THR. So far, 2025 has unexpectedly been all about recovering from these surgeries. I’m used to living a vibrant life.
You've spent a lot of 2025 doing one of the hardest, bravest things...healing! Not just from your THR, but a revision too. That's no small feat. May 2026 be the year you thrive as you walk lighter and move more freely...without pain. Let's toast to that happy thought. ':cheers: Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
 
My particular 'wheels' of choice would be an all terrain, capable of pulling a car, beast... But yes, on a more practical level you can get some really lightweight, foldable ones ideal for casual use. I hired one once to attend an all day air show. It was proved to be very handy. I had a fantastic day that I wouldn't otherwise been able to attend.
Now your particular ‘wheels’ of choice sound especially fun @Deni444!! Glad that the light weight foldable one you found allowed you to have a fantastic day! So important to have joy in the midst of healing. I might have to look into that at some point. :)
 
I agree with a rest day after an in-office day @RaphPalo

You're just a bit over 2 months post-revision. Muscles are barely healing, soft tissues like tendons and ligaments haven't healed. So every challenge day DOES need at least a day to take it easier, ice, elevate, and just do gentle stretches.

Given that we do slowly ramp up activity, this alternating day regimen can easily last another couple of months.
Thank you @mendogal. I have to keep reminding myself and others (outside of this forum) that I’m just over 2 months post-revision because of the 2 left THR’s close together this year… I think it kind of blurs in the mind. Absorbing your break down of what’s really going on with my body at this point in my healing feels spot on. Helps me realize that I have to be more patient. Which is very challenging for me lol. I really want to get back to doing all the things I love without such limits. And this time around it’s clearly ALL of my muscles. In fact right now my upper body is more fatigued and sore than my lower. I wouldn’t have expected that. However, earlier today I perused my work calendar and blocked out the days I need to take off after an in office/ in person day for the rest of the year. Will put in for them and talk to my manager next week.
 
I’m a big fan of the lightweight motorized scooters. Hubby and I successfully used them years ago at Disney World and it made our visit so much more enjoyable. It means you can focus on what you’re doing and not trying to walk more than you should or on finding the next place to sit down for a few minutes.
Thanks @Jamie. I love the scooters made your trip so much more enjoyable! Right now, I’m not sure how well they’d work for me here in NYC. Not sure where to look for one either but my curiosity is sparked. Also, my body is actually really craving walks. Tricky part with that is that sometimes I maybe walk farther than I should right now. It’s a delicate balance.
 
Thankfully you have a supportive supervisor at work. That's a blessing! Sorry about your ODIC visit. I think you're doing really well after a revision. I hope you achieve the desired results from the acupuncture and massage.
I happily live alone and have been recovering since February when I had my initial THR. So far, 2025 has unexpectedly been all about recovering from these surgeries. I’m used to living a vibrant life.
You've spent a lot of 2025 doing one of the hardest, bravest things...healing! Not just from your THR, but a revision too. That's no small feat. May 2026 be the year you thrive as you walk lighter and move more freely...without pain. Let's toast to that happy thought. ':cheers: Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Thanks so much for your encouragement @Layla. Yea, my current Supervisor is truly a blessing and I am so grateful. It helps take any additional and unnecessary stress out this. The one before this one would have tried to make my life hell. :gaah:So glad he moved on. Yes let’s toast to a thriving 2026! :new-year-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
Thankfully you have a supportive supervisor at work. That's a blessing! Sorry about your ODIC visit. I think you're doing really well after a revision. I hope you achieve the desired results from the acupuncture and massage.
I happily live alone and have been recovering since February when I had my initial THR. So far, 2025 has unexpectedly been all about recovering from these surgeries. I’m used to living a vibrant life.
You've spent a lot of 2025 doing one of the hardest, bravest things...healing! Not just from your THR, but a revision too. That's no small feat. May 2026 be the year you thrive as you walk lighter and move more freely...without pain. Let's toast to that happy thought. ':cheers: Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Thanks so much for your encouragement @Layla. Yea, my current Supervisor is truly a blessing and I am so grateful. It helps take any additional and unnecessary stress out this. The one before this one would have tried to make my life hell. :gaah:So glad he moved on. Yes let’s toast to a thriving 2026! :new-year-toast-smiley-emoticon:
Also, hope you’re having a wonderful weekend @Layla
 
I think you can rent scooters from health supply stores for short period of time. When I broke my ankle we rented a scooter that you kneeled on and scooted around the house but soon my knee started bothering me to I just used my rolling office chair cause I’m a clutz on crutches.
I admire the fact you are back to work & happy your supervisor is understanding.
 
Hi @RaphPalo Just catching up with your thread. Congratulations on the progress you have made following THR and revision - not an easy road.
After my 1st hip the family organized a holiday at Center Parcs UK (Whinfell Forest), great idea but I was only 2 months post-op. I could walk short distances but was wary of walking around a site with gradients and forest tracks so I hired a mobility scooter for the week - I didn't want to look like an invalid or feel like a failure (some folk think recovery after hip replacement is a few weeks at most) but it was definitely the best decision. I was mobile and could be somewhat independent.
Family holiday with easy access to a swimming pool was a great tonic.
Best wishes for your ongoing recovery.
 
I think you can rent scooters from health supply stores for short period of time. When I broke my ankle we rented a scooter that you kneeled on and scooted around the house but soon my knee started bothering me to I just used my rolling office chair cause I’m a clutz on crutches.
I admire the fact you are back to work & happy your supervisor is understanding.
Hope your ankle is all healed up now @myglasshalffull! I have seen those scooters that people kneel on. They look kinda fun yet tricky. Thanks for the health supply store tip. I’ve never used one of those. It’s good to be back to work in some ways but the more I process this convo the more I’m realizing how much I need to slow down and space things out in order to allow my body to properly heal. :)
 
Hi @RaphPalo Just catching up with your thread. Congratulations on the progress you have made following THR and revision - not an easy road.
After my 1st hip the family organized a holiday at Center Parcs UK (Whinfell Forest), great idea but I was only 2 months post-op. I could walk short distances but was wary of walking around a site with gradients and forest tracks so I hired a mobility scooter for the week - I didn't want to look like an invalid or feel like a failure (some folk think recovery after hip replacement is a few weeks at most) but it was definitely the best decision. I was mobile and could be somewhat independent.
Family holiday with easy access to a swimming pool was a great tonic.
Best wishes for your ongoing recovery.
Sounds like a wonderfully smart way to navigate being able to enjoy your family holiday @Newhip_Pol
 
Hi @RaphPalo Just catching up with your thread. Congratulations on the progress you have made following THR and revision - not an easy road.
After my 1st hip the family organized a holiday at Center Parcs UK (Whinfell Forest), great idea but I was only 2 months post-op. I could walk short distances but was wary of walking around a site with gradients and forest tracks so I hired a mobility scooter for the week - I didn't want to look like an invalid or feel like a failure (some folk think recovery after hip replacement is a few weeks at most) but it was definitely the best decision. I was mobile and could be somewhat independent.
Family holiday with easy access to a swimming pool was a great tonic.
Best wishes for your ongoing recovery.
Sounds like a wonderfully smart way to navigate being able to enjoy your family holiday @Newhip_Pol
I hear you avoiding those gradients and over all park terrain on foot seems at 2months out seems prudent @Newhip_Pol . Thanks for sharing. Looking into it a bit. So far it doesn’t seem like even the light weight ones would be feasible for me after all. My apartment building only has stairs not a ramp. Therefore, I’d have to carry the scooter in and out. Plus, unfolded it’s doubtful that it would fit in our small elevator and it would take up too space in my small NYC apt. I definitely see other New Yorkers using them out and about, on the bus etc… their building access etc…must better allow for it. Even though one of these scooters isn’t feasible for me here in the city it’s really good to know what the possibilities are. Especially, if needed when traveling and visiting family. Better not to have to miss out on family gatherings.
 
It’s too bad your apartment building doesn’t have good access for you. If you ever do need to rent a scooter for an out-of-town visit, it is possible to call businesses in the city where you’re going for the rental. You might even be able to have them meet you at the airport with the scooter or have it delivered to where you’re staying.
 
It’s too bad your apartment building doesn’t have good access for you. If you ever do need to rent a scooter for an out-of-town visit, it is possible to call businesses in the city where you’re going for the rental. You might even be able to have them meet you at the airport with the scooter or have it delivered to where you’re staying.
Great idea @Jamie! Thank you. The front stairs generally aren’t too too bad as there a just a few. I’m grateful these days more than ever that we have an elevator. Lots if not most apartment buildings here in NYC are walk ups. :)
 
Yes RalphPalo my ankle was 7 years ago so long since healed but a very challenging recovery. No weight on that foot for 8 weeks & me & crutches…well forget it. That’s how I started using my rolling office chair to scoot around the house! I could get myself to standing position on right foot to do basic chores & grooming.
For me my hip recovery felt easier in the sense I could be on a walker from Day one.
I don’t care to repeat either of these recoveries however.
Both breaks were from my rushing around & my impatience for getting things done. Both very avoidable. So I’ve learned patience. Maybe the universe just wanted me to slow down.
 
:wave:Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope the last three weeks have been good for you. Enjoy the rest of the week! :thumb:
@RaphPalo
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom