THR New Here, 15 Days Post-Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
merge 5 - Copy.jpg
threads.jpg
@kwarendorf, you may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three.

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, just post what you want here, tag one of us, and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!

If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?

@bottomshollow A point of order...The thread that was merged was not specific to my recovery, but more of a general recovery topic. Is there aplace to post general discussions related to THR recovery?

Thanks,
Kyle

A point of order...The thread that was merged was not specific to my recovery, but more of a general recovery topic
I would beg to differ. I think it entirely appropriate to be in your recovery thread. Lots of very informative posts are in people's recovery threads. I don't think they get lost in there.
He said the full set was developed 50 years ago.
Well now, that is interesting! That was about when I started work in orthopaedics and hip replacements. I have since worked with some 30 odd hip surgeons and not one of them were over exercises about restrictions as they are practised now (which is, it has to be said, mostly in the US). In fact, I never even heard if it until I joined BoneSmart! Maybe there were developed in the US but it's certainly not a universal concern.
I was shocked when my doctor told me at 3 weeks that I did not have ANY precautions!
Let me tell you a funny story, Stacey. A few years ago my sister had a hip replacement and I went to look after her for a couple of weeks. Without realising it, both my sister and I were so 'brain washed' by constant talk of restrictions on BoneSmart that we paid particular care to observe all the rules, even to the point of my teaching her the golfers' reach! At 6 weeks she had a review with the surgeon and asked him if she could now stop doing the restrictions. Apparently he slowly turned and glared at her, demanding to know WHO had told her she had to do that. She thought a moment and then had to admit that actually, nobody had. His reply was that he never required such ridiculous restrictions in his life (he was then 65) and he had never had a patient have a dislocation! And I believe him as I know that surgeon fairly well and he always says it as it is. No false modesty or pride there!

6 1/2 weeks post-op I went for the first bike ride of the season this morning. 10 miles and my leg is still attached at the new hip. All good! :)

Last Thursday was the 8 week post-op mark. Sunday we went for a 16 mile bike ride with no ill effects. I am even able to swing my operated leg over the bike without thinkng about it. My gait is getting better all the time. I still have to remind myself to walk normally from time to time, but when I do, I can. All good...

Today marks 12 weeks since my surgery. It's all good :) Sunday's bike ride was 17 miles and the only issue remains getting off afterwards. Getting on is no problem but after the ride I can't lift my operated leg high enough to clear the seat. I'm pretty sure this has more to do with MS weakness than my new hip, as that leg has been weak for some time.

I have some occasional clunking, but that will fade as the surrounding tissues strengthen. To aid with that I've joined a gym and have been working on the elliptical machine and doing some leg work on a few of the weight machines. It seems to be working as I'm walking normally and feel better than I have in a long time. :)

Kyle

Wow! I was actually thinking about you today as I walked a mile with no cane for the first time and I remembered you doing the same very early in your recovery. It looks like you are doing fantastically well - I'm very happy for you!

So I've just passed the 16 week post-op mark. Things continue to be really good. The clunking is diminishing, but I still get muscle/tendon sore on occasion. My activity level has returned to pre-op (post cortisone shot) levels. In fact it's increased. I'm able to go to my new (post-op) gym 3 days a week without any interference from my new hip. One day a week we go for extended bike rides, 25 miles two weeks ago and 20 miles this past weekend. The one Needs improvement area is my abductor/adductor strength on my operated side. I just bought some Thera bands to work on those.

Ever onward :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • benne68