THR New Here, 15 Days Post-Op

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwarendorf

Country
United States United States
Greetings!

I am 15 days removed from my right THR and am doing great. The surgery was performed by Dr. David Mayman at the Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) in NYC. Both Dr. Mayman and HSS provide the best possible care imaginable. The level of attention before, during and after my surgery is unparalleled. This was my second experience with both, as Dr. Mayman resurfaced my left hip in 2009.

This time my surgery was on Thursday 5/19 and I was home on Saturday 5/22. While in the hospital I was on my feet about 18 hours after surgery. I had 3 PT session on Friday and 3 more on Saturday. I got my walking papers after the 3rd session on Saturday and was home late that afternoon.

My progress has been remarkable. I came home using a walker and have progressed to using nothing while at home and a cane while outside. Outside I have been walking a mile a day since Tuesday Tuesday 5/31. (It's never going to get much longer than a mile, as I have MS and at a mile my legs tend to stop listening to my brain :)) I still get sore, but have eliminated all prescription pain meds and am down to Tylenol twice a day. My 4" incision was closed with internal, self dissolving sutures and covered with Dermabond. It's healing nicely.

So my story is a good one!

Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Kyle, that is wonderful. My surgery is 6/16. I hope I can have the wonderful outcome that you have. Very inspiring.

-Jana

I'm impressed by you walking a mile already. It sounds like you've had a wonderful experience - long may it continue!

It sounds like you've had a wonderful experience
I think the biggest thing is that I went through this 7 years ago with my left hip. Having seen this movie, I am far less apprehensive and more willing to 'do the work'.

That's wonderful that you are doing so well. I felt the same way about my recovery. We were very fortunate. Keep up the great work!

You were so lucky you have had such a wonderful recovery. I hope it continues to be so. You really must have a good surgeon and also perhaps were very fit before the surgery.

You need some reading!

Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Thanks for the reading material @Josephine . My OS is also of the opinion that, unlike knees, hips pretty much sort themselves out. And while I am technically subject to precautions, the only one he is adamant about is 'no crossing the midline with the operated leg.'

For both the precautions and rehab I am taking a common sense approach, like you have outlined in your mantras. So far, so good 17 days post-op and I'm doing great :)

Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
My progress continues! This morning was the 7th morning in a row of walking a mile outside. In that week my time has decreased from 34 minutes to 23 minutes. I've also started to incorporate cane free segments of the walk. 3 or 4 times during my mile walk I will just hold my cane parallel to the ground and walk cane free. These segments are getting longer. I'm going to start to focus more on more extending the cane free segments and less on improving the time it takes to walk the mile.

Ever onward :)

Kyle

A new milestone this morning. My 1 mile walk was 100% cane free! I had it with me, just didn't use it :)

Kyle

I can't believe how well you are doing! I'll be impressed when I can manage a mile with my two canes!

@Zelda I am giving 98% of the credit to my OS. If he wasn't as good as he is, I wouldn't be as far along as I am :)

I'm amazed at how well you are doing.Its so very impressive..Be careful but keep on keeping on.You are doing awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I'm taking the day off today. I didn't sleep that well and my new hip, and surrounding area, have let me know that they would appreciate a little rest. So I will listen :)

Kyle

Back on the program this morning! 1 mile outside this morning without a cane. And while it was my fastest mile, I'm trying to focus on my gait. I don't want to develop any bad habits.

Kyle

Gosh you are doing great! I am SO looking forward to ditching the cane! I think it will be a while yet but I am hopeful!

RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.

Today is Day 22 Post-op. I walked another mile outside without my cane. Another recovery milestone: I drove my car without incident. I can move my power seat without the car being on, so I moved the seat all the way back to make it easier to get in. I had no problem moving my right (operated) foot between gas and brake. Another step towards freedom :)

Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CoachMimi